Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why would an engine "gurgle" only after turning it off (and spill coolant?)

What diagnostics can I do to figure out why the coolant gurgles after
shutting down?

This happened twice over the past two days on a 30 mile trip each way, both
days of which were pretty hot at around 90 degrees.

Temperature gauge is working as it goes from cold to middle & stays in
middle so the car is not overheating.

Yet, when I shut down the engine, it "gurgles" a bubbly sound.

I can simulate the gurgling sound by squeezing the upper hose, where I can
hear the air and fluid moving about.

I had filled the coolant tank to the Full level, but it spilled out a cup
or two onto the ground when it gurgled.

The fluid is "watery" and "brown" so it hasn't been changed in a super long
time so that will be the first thing after a flush that I do.

I will borrow a pressure tester at the local auto parts store, but that
won't tell me if the water pump is working. The belts are intact and the
fan spins, so, that doesn't tell me much either.

What diagnostics can I do to figure out why the coolant gurgles after
shutting down?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 17:29:15 +0000 (UTC), Bram van den Heuvel
wrote:

[...]

Off the top of my head, just guessing in no particular order:

Stuck or faulty thermostat (replace)

Bad clutch in the fan

Ensure the belt is tight enough and not slipping

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2017 1:29 PM, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
What diagnostics can I do to figure out why the coolant gurgles after
shutting down?

This happened twice over the past two days on a 30 mile trip each way, both
days of which were pretty hot at around 90 degrees.

[snip]

What diagnostics can I do to figure out why the coolant gurgles after
shutting down?

Maybe combustion chamber gasses leaking into the cooling system? Bad gasket or something cracked/warped?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 12:29:21 PM UTC-5, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
[...]

When you come to a stop, rev you engine for a minute to help it cool down. The overflow tank on your cooling system could also be too full. When was the last time you had the cooling system cleaned and flushed? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Cool Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 14:43:40 -0400, Dick Schmutz
wrote:

What diagnostics can I do to figure out why the coolant gurgles after
shutting down?

Maybe combustion chamber gasses leaking into the cooling system? Bad gasket or something cracked/warped?

I didn't want to mention a blown head gasket. That would likely
introduce some oil into the cooling system.

OP: Remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold. Crank the engine
to see if water is circulating through the radiator (if not the T-stat
needs attention if the water pump is not leaking below the shaft).

Is there oil in the water?

Will you be back to discuss this thread?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 17:29:15 +0000 (UTC), Bram van
den Heuvel wrote:

[...]

I think when the engine is on and the coolant is circulating, it never
gets that hot. The heat from the hottest parts of the engine is
transferred to a stream** of coolant, but when the coolant stops moving,
that which is next to the hottest parts of the engine get hotter than
ever.

Why this doesn't happen all the time I don't know.

**This is similar to the mistake they make in cowboy and adventure
movies where they are pulling someone up with a rope that is rubbing
against a rock where the rope bends over the edge of the cliff. In the
movies, there is a close-up of the rope gooing over the rock, getting
more and more frayed. But in reality every moment it's a different part
of the rope rubbing the rock so the rock won't ruin the rope.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Given , Stormin' Norman
wrote:

Sounds to me like you might have some partially blocked passages in
the engine cooling jacket which is resulting in some trapped air. I
suggest you get a reverse power flush of the cooling system and refill
it with a high quality coolant / distilled or demineralized water
mixture. I suspect your gurgling engine will settle down after that.

I ordered a new radiator and hoses and thermostat and gasket after finding
this pinhole hairline crack in the plastic neck of the radiator when
running a pressure test with the oreilly pressure testing kit.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...ing_t ool.jpg

This is the pinhole crack
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...hole_crack.jpg

I tried thick expoxy to hold me out until the new radiator arrives
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._too_thick.jpg

But it was too thick. So I tried thinner epoxy.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...nner_epoxy.jpg

After sanding and cleaning with MAF cleaner, this thinner stuff stuck.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...nd_cleaned.jpg

I will pressure test it tomorrow after it has cured for 24 hours
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i..._of_expoxy.jpg

Is there any way to test the water pump action better than just watching
water go into the upper hose?

---
このEメールはアバスト アンチウイルスによりウイルスス* ンされています。

Posted to alt.home.repair

Given , Uncle
Monster wrote:

When you come to a stop, rev you engine for a minute to help it cool down.
The overflow tank on your cooling system could also be too full.
When was the last time you had the cooling system cleaned and flushed?

I think the engine has never been "cleaned and flushed".
This is what the Toyota red fluid looks like
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...r_of_fluid.jpg

Trying to think of an intelligent way to flush the cooling system, how does
this sound as a plan?

-1 Open a petcock or block drain bolt and leave it open
-2 Remove the thermostat & replace the thermomstat cover loosely
-3 Remove the radiator cap & run a garden hose in the radiator neck
-4 Run the engine until the fluid draining is clear

Does that sound like a workable plan for flushing?
What did I miss or what should I do different?

---
このEメールはアバスト アンチウイルスによりウイルスス* ンされています。

Posted to alt.home.repair

Given , Oren
wrote:

I didn't want to mention a blown head gasket. That would likely
introduce some oil into the cooling system.

OP: Remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold. Crank the engine
to see if water is circulating through the radiator (if not the T-stat
needs attention if the water pump is not leaking below the shaft).

Is there oil in the water?

Will you be back to discuss this thread?

This is the color of the fluid which is supposed to be Toyota red.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...r_of_fluid.jpg

I saw water moving when the engine was running and the radiator cap was
removed but is there a good way to test the operation of the water pump?

---
このEメールはアバスト アンチウイルスによりウイルスス* ンされています。

Posted to alt.home.repair

Given , Dick Schmutz
wrote:

Maybe combustion chamber gasses leaking into the cooling system? Bad gasket or something cracked/warped?

The radiator cap has 0.9 embossed on it which I guess means 0.9 bar, which
I guess means 0.9 times 14.7 which is about 13-1/4 PSI above atmospheric
pressure.

The problem was that the pressure tester from oreillys doesn't seem to come
with an adaptor that fits my cap so I couldn't test the cap.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...p_pressure.jpg

---
このEメールはアバスト アンチウイルスによりウイルスス* ンされています。

Posted to alt.home.repair

Given , Oren
wrote:

Off the top of my head, just guessing in no particular order:

Stuck or faulty thermostat (replace)

Bad clutch in the fan

Ensure the belt is tight enough and not slipping

I found the problem by borrowing a pressure tester from oreillys!

It was a hairline crack at the plastic neck of the radiator.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...hole_crack.jpg

---
このEメールはアバスト アンチウイルスによりウイルスス* ンされています。

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 12:35:32 AM UTC-5, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
Given , Uncle
Monster wrote:

When you come to a stop, rev you engine for a minute to help it cool down.
The overflow tank on your cooling system could also be too full.
When was the last time you had the cooling system cleaned and flushed?

I think the engine has never been "cleaned and flushed".
This is what the Toyota red fluid looks like
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...r_of_fluid.jpg

Trying to think of an intelligent way to flush the cooling system, how does
this sound as a plan?

-1 Open a petcock or block drain bolt and leave it open
-2 Remove the thermostat & replace the thermomstat cover loosely
-3 Remove the radiator cap & run a garden hose in the radiator neck
-4 Run the engine until the fluid draining is clear

Does that sound like a workable plan for flushing?
What did I miss or what should I do different?
---

Here's a link to the website of San Carlos Radiator that gives one of the better explanations about how to go about DIY cleaning of your vehicles cooling system. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/VoltageDrop/flush.htm

[8~{} Uncle Clean Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/05/2017 01:35 AM, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
Given , Oren
wrote:

Off the top of my head, just guessing in no particular order:

Stuck or faulty thermostat (replace)

Bad clutch in the fan

Ensure the belt is tight enough and not slipping

I found the problem by borrowing a pressure tester from oreillys!

It was a hairline crack at the plastic neck of the radiator.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...hole_crack.jpg

---
このEメールはアバスト アンチウイルスによりウイルスス* ンされています。

What caused it to crack? Excess pressure, flexing or just old age?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Given aweb.com, Jess
Guessing wrote:

What caused it to crack? Excess pressure, flexing or just old age?

The radiator is the OEM radiator on a 1990's vintage Toyota.

If they didn't make the top plastic, it would still be working, but two
decades is a decent amount of time for a $200 radiator.

Unfortunately, the whack-a-mole game failed in that it still lost pressure
this morning when I tested the epoxy temporary repair (until the parts
arrive).
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...uretestkit.jpg

The question is how far can you drive on an unpressurized system?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Given , Uncle
Monster wrote:

Here's a link to the website of San Carlos Radiator that gives one of the better explanations about how to go about DIY cleaning of your vehicles cooling system. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/VoltageDrop/flush.htm

Thank you for that helpful link which discussed
.. Water rinse
Not effective in electrolysis, aluminum oxide, or oil contamination
.. Tee flush
Introduces a weakness into the system that will leak.
.. Sodium citrate flush
Doesn't really do much.
.. Garden hose into lower hose & thermostat removed
Works well on the engine but crud remains in the radiator
.. L-11 oil milkshake emulsifying flush
Works well for oil contamination.
.. Engine flush by driving 100 miles over 3 days with a cleaning mix
Works well but requires a drivable vehicle
Use 420CF for Electrolysis, Rust, Dexcool muck, or Silicate Drop-out.
.. Lowerhose drop flush (remove lower hose on a hot engine)
Dangerous to getting burned
.. Sump-pump flush
Takes Time, Temperature, Chemistry, Agitation and Settling into account.

One non-flush question I have for those who are experienced with cars is
what are the ramifications of driving with an unpressurized system?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...orningleak.jpg

I tested it this morning and it still leaked around the neck in a different
spot, which I duly epoxied but I have no illusions about playing
whackamole.

What I just don't know is how much danger there is in driving an
unpressurized system?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 10:00:43 AM UTC-4, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
Given aweb.com, Jess
Guessing wrote:

What caused it to crack? Excess pressure, flexing or just old age?

The radiator is the OEM radiator on a 1990's vintage Toyota.

If they didn't make the top plastic, it would still be working, but two
decades is a decent amount of time for a $200 radiator.

If they made it of metal it probably would have corroded and failed sooner. Plus it and it's replacement would have costed more.

Unfortunately, the whack-a-mole game failed in that it still lost pressure
this morning when I tested the epoxy temporary repair (until the parts
arrive).
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...uretestkit.jpg

The question is how far can you drive on an unpressurized system?

Depends on ambient temperature, how hard the drive, and percent antifreeze.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2017 10:00 AM, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
The question is how far can you drive on an unpressurized system?

There are too many factors (vehicle speed, engine load, ambient air
temperature) to determine if it's safe. The overheat risk and resultant
engine damage may not be worth it. YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 11:08:36 AM UTC-4, Jon Doe wrote:
On 8/5/2017 10:00 AM, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
The question is how far can you drive on an unpressurized system?

There are too many factors (vehicle speed, engine load, ambient air
temperature) to determine if it's safe. The overheat risk and resultant
engine damage may not be worth it. YMMV

+1

If it's a minor leak and local, easy driving, I would do it. Crossing Death Valley pulling a trailer, probably not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Given ,
trader_4 wrote:

If it's a minor leak and local, easy driving, I would do it.
Crossing Death Valley pulling a trailer, probably not.

I agree that going up a mountain or crossing a desert or a long 100 mile
trip might be pushing my luck, but I'm asking technically what happens if
we drive, essentially, with the radiator cap off.

Assuming everything else is working fine, the only difference I can think
of is that the pressure of the system above ambient is zero psi compared to
about 1 atmosphere.

That lowers the boiling point of pure water to 212 degrees, where a 50:50
mixture of coolant would be something higher than 212 degrees.

But how hot does an engine typically get?
Isn't an engine coolant generally around 200 degrees F?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Given , Jon Doe
wrote:

There are too many factors (vehicle speed, engine load, ambient air
temperature) to determine if it's safe. The overheat risk and resultant
engine damage may not be worth it. YMMV

But that doesn't answer the question.
The question is what happens when you drive unpressurized.

All I can think of is that the boiling point is lowered.

Most engines keep the temperature around the 200 F degree mark, I think,
where even plain water wouldn't boil.

What's the boiling point of unpressurized 50:50 coolant?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 14:15:19 +0000 (UTC), Bram van den Heuvel
wrote:

Given , Uncle
Monster wrote:

[...]

flushing

Does yor heater get hot enough?

Videos on flushing the heater core (reverse flush)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9SIafVsqyc

....and how to unclog a heater core

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcL_0TWeZJY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 16:19:18 +0000 (UTC), Bram van den Heuvel
wrote:

The question is what happens when you drive unpressurized.

I've done so with no problem. A faulty radiator cap...loosened half
way. Don't recall how long I drove it this way until I got a new cap.
This was and older vehicle so I can't speak to new cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 12:19:24 PM UTC-4, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
Given ,
trader_4 wrote:

If it's a minor leak and local, easy driving, I would do it.
Crossing Death Valley pulling a trailer, probably not.

I agree that going up a mountain or crossing a desert or a long 100 mile
trip might be pushing my luck, but I'm asking technically what happens if
we drive, essentially, with the radiator cap off.

Assuming everything else is working fine, the only difference I can think
of is that the pressure of the system above ambient is zero psi compared to
about 1 atmosphere.

That lowers the boiling point of pure water to 212 degrees, where a 50:50
mixture of coolant would be something higher than 212 degrees.

But how hot does an engine typically get?
Isn't an engine coolant generally around 200 degrees F?

Modern engines run hotter, I'd say they can easily be close to 212F.
That's why you need 50 50 antifreeze. And that's the overall average
temp, not the localized temp in the hottest spots in the engine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2017 12:19 PM, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:

That lowers the boiling point of pure water to 212 degrees, where a 50:50
mixture of coolant would be something higher than 212 degrees.

223 degrees

But how hot does an engine typically get?
Isn't an engine coolant generally around 200 degrees F?

Thermostat is usually 195 degrees but they will run hotter in summer
with AC on. That is why they are pressurized. With 50-50 mix and
pressure you can go to 250 before boiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The question is what happens when you drive unpressurized.

I've done so with no problem. A faulty radiator cap...loosened half
way. Don't recall how long I drove it this way until I got a new cap.
This was and older vehicle so I can't speak to new cars.

Some older cars had 185 degree thermostats too. I've done it with a few
older cars too and around town or a short ride it was no problem.

I had a Corvair that I drove with no water at all and it never overheated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/17 9:00 AM, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
Given aweb.com, Jess
Guessing wrote:

What caused it to crack? Excess pressure, flexing or just old age?

The radiator is the OEM radiator on a 1990's vintage Toyota.

If they didn't make the top plastic, it would still be working, but two
decades is a decent amount of time for a $200 radiator.

Unfortunately, the whack-a-mole game failed in that it still lost pressure
this morning when I tested the epoxy temporary repair (until the parts
arrive).
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...uretestkit.jpg

The question is how far can you drive on an unpressurized system?

Irrigation power units sometimes had a cooling coil instead of a
radiator. The cooling coils had caps but weren't really intentionally
pressurized. They worked fine as long as they had coolant. The
thermostats were probably in the 185 degree range.
Picture he
http://www.nebraskairrigation.com/secure/waterdistributioncomponents/coolingcoil.php

The cooling coils are one pipe inside of another. The cold
irrigation water runs through the center pipe. (not visible) The engine
coolant circulates through the outside pipe then back to the engine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:49:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a Corvair that I drove with no water at all and it never overheated.

Good one, Ed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2017 2:33 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:49:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a Corvair that I drove with no water at all and it never overheated.

Good one, Ed.

thanks. Some of the younger ones here probably don't know what a Corvair
is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 08:21:33 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 11:08:36 AM UTC-4, Jon Doe wrote:
On 8/5/2017 10:00 AM, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
The question is how far can you drive on an unpressurized system?

There are too many factors (vehicle speed, engine load, ambient air
temperature) to determine if it's safe. The overheat risk and resultant
engine damage may not be worth it. YMMV

+1

If it's a minor leak and local, easy driving, I would do it. Crossing Death Valley pulling a trailer, probably not.

Death Valley recent trivia.

_Death Valley had hottest month ever in Western Hemisphere in July_

https://www.reviewjournal.com/weather/death-valley-had-hottest-month-ever-in-western-hemisphere-in-july/

You can die out there if you pull off the road and get stuck. Its
happened before. You need water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 14:55:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/5/2017 2:33 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:49:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a Corvair that I drove with no water at all and it never overheated.

Good one, Ed.

thanks. Some of the younger ones here probably don't know what a Corvair
is.

My VW bug ran cooler during heavy rains. A model T and a Jeep cooled
when running in Florida swamp water with water up to the floor boards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 1:55:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/5/2017 2:33 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:49:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a Corvair that I drove with no water at all and it never overheated.

Good one, Ed.

thanks. Some of the younger ones here probably don't know what a Corvair
is.

Heck, I think VW Beetles have liquid cooled engines now. I'm unsafe at any speed. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Airy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2017 2:33 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:49:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a Corvair that I drove with no water at all and it never overheated.

Good one, Ed.

thanks. Some of the younger ones here probably don't know what a Corvair
is.

Heck, I think VW Beetles have liquid cooled engines now. I'm unsafe at any speed. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Airy Monster

Even some motorcycles are liquid cooled now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 14:00:33 +0000 (UTC), Bram van den Heuvel
wrote:

Given aweb.com, Jess
Guessing wrote:

What caused it to crack? Excess pressure, flexing or just old age?

The radiator is the OEM radiator on a 1990's vintage Toyota.

If they didn't make the top plastic, it would still be working, but two
decades is a decent amount of time for a $200 radiator.

Unfortunately, the whack-a-mole game failed in that it still lost pressure
this morning when I tested the epoxy temporary repair (until the parts
arrive).
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?i...uretestkit.jpg

The question is how far can you drive on an unpressurized system?

As long as it doesn't het over about 210F, forever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 14:15:19 +0000 (UTC), Bram van den Heuvel
wrote:

Given , Uncle
Monster wrote:

[...]

As long as it doesn't overheat, there is no danger. I have often
driven a LONG ways with a pinhole in a hose, for instance, by simply
putting the cap on loose and leaving 1n inch or 2 of headroom in the
rad to get home for a repair. All the pressurization does is allow you
to run hotter than 210-212F, and keeps the coolant from evaporating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 16:19:18 +0000 (UTC), Bram van den Heuvel
wrote:

Given , Jon Doe
wrote:

There are too many factors (vehicle speed, engine load, ambient air
temperature) to determine if it's safe. The overheat risk and resultant
engine damage may not be worth it. YMMV

But that doesn't answer the question.
The question is what happens when you drive unpressurized.

All I can think of is that the boiling point is lowered.

Most engines keep the temperature around the 200 F degree mark, I think,
where even plain water wouldn't boil.

What's the boiling point of unpressurized 50:50 coolant?

About 225F at .96 bar

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Aug 2017 11:33:21 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:49:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a Corvair that I drove with no water at all and it never overheated.

Good one, Ed.

My old VW only overheated a bit with no water when it was 115F out - -
-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2017 2:33 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:49:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a Corvair that I drove with no water at all and it never overheated.

Good one, Ed.

thanks. Some of the younger ones here probably don't know what a Corvair
is.

Heck, I think VW Beetles have liquid cooled engines now. I'm unsafe at any speed. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Airy Monster

Even some motorcycles are liquid cooled now.

"Unsafe At Any Speed" I guess you missed my historical reference? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed

[8~{} Uncle Unsafe Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2017 4:50 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

thanks. Some of the younger ones here probably don't know what a Corvair
is.

Heck, I think VW Beetles have liquid cooled engines now. I'm unsafe at any speed. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Airy Monster

Even some motorcycles are liquid cooled now.

"Unsafe At Any Speed" I guess you missed my historical reference? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed

[8~{} Uncle Unsafe Monster

I take issue with Nader. I had a '62 Monza with 7.00 x 13 tires and it
handled very well. With snow tires I could go anywhere in winter too.
It ws one of my all time fun crs to drive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Given ,
wrote:

What's the boiling point of unpressurized 50:50 coolant?

About 225F at .96 bar

Thanks Clare and Ed, for those numbers (where Ed said 223F which is close
enough to 225 that I'll use the 225 figure).

So, with the cap off, the 50:50 coolant boils at 225 degrees.
With a pressurized system, Ed says we can go to 250 before boiling.
The thermostat has a 180 degree opening point.

If I assume that the coolant is designed to be at around 200 degrees, plus
or minus 10 degrees, that means an unpressurized system should work just
fine for light loads since the coolant stays below the boiling point of
water, at least on average.

I think what was happening was that locally, in hotspots, the coolant was
boiling since it was no longer pressurized.

Does that logic make sense?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 4:35:05 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/5/2017 4:50 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

thanks. Some of the younger ones here probably don't know what a Corvair
is.

Heck, I think VW Beetles have liquid cooled engines now. I'm unsafe at any speed. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Airy Monster

Even some motorcycles are liquid cooled now.

"Unsafe At Any Speed" I guess you missed my historical reference? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed

[8~{} Uncle Unsafe Monster

I take issue with Nader. I had a '62 Monza with 7.00 x 13 tires and it
handled very well. With snow tires I could go anywhere in winter too.
It ws one of my all time fun crs to drive.

It's my understanding that when the Corvair rear suspension was redesigned to be fully independent and put into production, it was superior to that of the Corvette. I don't remember driving a Corvair or even being a passenger in one. My family owned a Dodge Dart and Plymouth Valiant of that era. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Darting Monster