frankg

Default why does sink drain gurgle?

I moved our kitchen sink and of course had to redo the abs trap and drain
connection. Everything works ok but I'm curious why the drain seems to
gurgle (for lack of a better descriptive word) after the water has run out.
And it also sounds like it's dripping after theres no more water in the sink
to run out. Can you suggest a reason and cure ?

thanks
Frank

Speedy Jim

frankg wrote:
I moved our kitchen sink and of course had to redo the abs trap and drain
connection. Everything works ok but I'm curious why the drain seems to
gurgle (for lack of a better descriptive word) after the water has run out.
And it also sounds like it's dripping after theres no more water in the sink
to run out. Can you suggest a reason and cure ?

thanks
Frank

The Gurgle is caused by the water in the trap attempting
to self-siphon out. And that suggests that moving the
sink connection has disrupted the venting of the trap.

Either the trap is now too far from the San TEE and vent
or the slop is too great. Or, in the case of sinks which
have no vent connection, the horizontal branch is too small
to allow air circulation (this kind of self-vent is no longer
used but was common up thru the 50's.)

You may be able to fix the problem by adding a mechanical
vent just downsrtream of the trap.

Jim

frankg

solution : by adding a mechanical
vent just downsrtream of the trap.

since it's all glued ABS , how do you add a "mechanical vent" - is that a
piece you buy and attach to the ABS ?

I moved our kitchen sink and of course had to redo the abs trap and drain
connection. Everything works ok but I'm curious why the drain seems to
gurgle (for lack of a better descriptive word) after the water has run

out.
And it also sounds like it's dripping after theres no more water in the

sink
to run out. Can you suggest a reason and cure ?

thanks
Frank

Speedy Jim

frankg wrote:

solution : by adding a mechanical
vent just downsrtream of the trap.

since it's all glued ABS , how do you add a "mechanical vent" - is that a
piece you buy and attach to the ABS ?

Have to cut a section of ABS out and insert a San TEE
with the Mech vent sticking up.
Jim