Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

On 7/24/2017 2:36 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

He probably does, he just told me how to do it when I went to his car to
get something. He calls my Corolla the cheap Lexus.

Lexus is built on the Toyota chassis. The Corolla is not as fancy, but
is a better value.

The Lexus was a nice car to drive. If my mom had asked my advice I
would have told her to get one instead of the POS 88 Caddy which
replaced the POS 78 Caddy. Not as much fun to drive as the S2000,
though, even if I botched half the shifts.

I drove mostly GM cars for years. Every one turned into a POS. After
GM suggested I buy a new car rather than have them fix it under
warranty, I've not touched another one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike_Duffy posted for all of us...

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:43:58 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

On my cars one cannot lock the transponder in the car. It does not have a
conventional metal key. I don't know how to handle it.

I had an issue with the sensor for the rear hatch always sensing "door
open" even when it was closed AND locked. Any attempt to lock a different
door would result in the computer unlocking all the doors to 'remind' you
that a door is open. Presumably this is to help prevent someone from
accidentally locking the keys in the car.

In order to lock all doors, I needed to either:

(1) Roll down the driver window, and enter the code to lock all doors.

(2) Turn everything off by removing the key from the switch, then pressing
the interior 'lock all doors' button.

In your case, since you need to be outside of the car after it is locked, I
would opt for (1), except put the window up first.

If that does not work, try wrapping aluminum foil around the transponder.
(It is not clear if having a transponder in the car causes your problem.)

That's not the problem. If a transponder is in the car then it can't be
locked from outside. The is nowhere to inert a metal key as there are no
metal keys.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:15:27 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

If that does not work, try wrapping aluminum foil around the transponder.
(It is not clear if having a transponder in the car causes your problem.)

That's not the problem. If a transponder is in the car then it can't be
locked from outside. The is nowhere to inert a metal key as there are no
metal keys.

Did you actually try wrapping the spare transponder in aluminum foil?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike_Duffy wrote:

Did you actually try wrapping the spare transponder in aluminum foil?

Doing so will also prevent aliens from stealing your car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 5:50:40 PM UTC-5, Neill Massello wrote:
Mike_Duffy wrote:

Did you actually try wrapping the spare transponder in aluminum foil?

Doing so will also prevent aliens from stealing your car.

Mexicans? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 18:10:49 -0400, Mike_Duffy
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:15:27 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

If that does not work, try wrapping aluminum foil around the transponder.
(It is not clear if having a transponder in the car causes your problem.)

That's not the problem. If a transponder is in the car then it can't be
locked from outside. The is nowhere to inert a metal key as there are no
metal keys.

Did you actually try wrapping the spare transponder in aluminum foil?

Saran-Wrap is cheaper.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 09:09:24 -0400, Mike_Duffy
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 02:58:42 -0400, micky wrote:

So after you stopped the car, I presume you could get the keys out and
it was normal again?

Yes. Normal except my Mom didn't speak to my Dad the rest of the way home.
I suppose that for her, the safety of the kids was more important than a
masculine expression of roadway etiquette. Us kids were not worried,
because that was was the first car we had with seat belts, and we always
buckled-up, even on twisty low-speed gravel.

A week later, you could still see black patches where the explosions had
blown away the loose gravel from the hardpacked sections.

Laughing again.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 09:28:37 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

I do like having a modern key, though. Although I thought it was kind
of dumb before I had it, just pushing a button (sometimes exactly the
wrong one) to open things is nice.

I like having the remote. Before it came with the car, I installed
burglar alarms where the fob controlled the door locks.

What I would like is a front door lock that is controlled by a fob also,
like the car, and if at all possible doesn't use batteries for the door
lock itself.

I looked all over 4 years ago and coldnt' find anything.

In the soon to be sold Toyota, both fobs broke at once, which made me
think it was the receiver. about $300, so I bought one and then another
from ebay. Neither did fixed it.

Speaking of infinity holes... My husband's wallet fell out of his suit
pocket and into the memory hole, where we didn't find it for two years.
We thought it was stolen out of the house and caused major nuisance.

I'll bet!

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 09:28:37 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

On 07/24/2017 06:54 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/22/17 8:48 PM, micky wrote:
How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when
you're in town?

When you go out of town?

Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years,
but I stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey
buried in my yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic
keyholders for cars. I thought either it would fall off or someone
would find it, since there are so few good places to put it. So I
carried the dupe in my pocket.

My recent model upscale ride has keyless ignition and proximity
sensors. With the fob in my pocket, locked front doors open when I
grab either handle and the trunk opens when I touch its hidden
sensor.

Having keyless ignition without proximity sensors seems annoyingly
useless. You have the key in your hand to open the door, but where do
you put it then if not in the handy storage slot? Drop it on the floor?
Put it in a nonexistent pocket? On the seat where it can drop down
into the memory hole between the seats? In my purse where I have to
spend time finding it when I have to lock the car when I leave?

Friend's Lexus has the prox sensors, but you have to push a button on
the key to lock it when you leave. The side mirrors obligingly fold
down when it's locked so you know that it's locked.

One more useless thing that will probably immobilize the car when
Something Goes Wrong.

I do like having a modern key, though. Although I thought it was kind
of dumb before I had it, just pushing a button (sometimes exactly the
wrong one) to open things is nice.

Speaking of infinity holes... My husband's wallet fell out of his suit
pocket and into the memory hole, where we didn't find it for two years.
We thought it was stolen out of the house and caused major nuisance.

I dropped my hearing aid down into the "black hole" under the center
of the 60/40 seet in my Ranger. Didn't realise I had lost it untill
much later - so where did I lose it? I had stripped the shed roof,
loaded all the scrop on the trailer, and taken it to the dump. Good
thing IO had (unsuccsessfully) paired them to my Blackberry cell phone
(only actually works with an i-phone) - I narrowed it down by where I
could catch a signal - I drove the truck 2 blocks to verify it was in
the truck, then started digging and tearing thinga apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:

Mexicans? ¯\_(?)_/¯

Little green men. Mexicans are foiled by ICE.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 16:27:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/24/2017 2:36 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

He probably does, he just told me how to do it when I went to his car to
get something. He calls my Corolla the cheap Lexus.

Lexus is built on the Toyota chassis. The Corolla is not as fancy, but
is a better value.

No lexus is built on a corolla chassis, and in fact no lexus sold in
North Anerica is built on the same chassis as any Toyota sold in North
America (ublike Honda and Acyra)

The Lexus was a nice car to drive. If my mom had asked my advice I
would have told her to get one instead of the POS 88 Caddy which
replaced the POS 78 Caddy. Not as much fun to drive as the S2000,
though, even if I botched half the shifts.

I drove mostly GM cars for years. Every one turned into a POS. After
GM suggested I buy a new car rather than have them fix it under
warranty, I've not touched another one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No metal key hideden within the fob? You are CERTAIN?
No key cyl concealed under a cap in the door handle that can be popped
off with the key? You are 100% certain?

Exactlt what year ond model do you have?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 8:29:30 PM UTC-5, Neill Massello wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:

Mexicans? ¯\_(?)_/¯

Little green men. Mexicans are foiled by ICE.

I remember a Mork & Mindy episode where Mork told (I think) someone from the Immigration Service that he was an illegal alien. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Alien Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:15:27 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

If that does not work, try wrapping aluminum foil around the transponder.
(It is not clear if having a transponder in the car causes your problem.)

That's not the problem. If a transponder is in the car then it can't be
locked from outside. The is nowhere to inert a metal key as there are no
metal keys.

Did you actually try wrapping the spare transponder in aluminum foil?

Saran-Wrap is cheaper.

But saran wrap has no chance of sheilding the RF ---

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 02:58:42 -0400, micky wrote:

So after you stopped the car, I presume you could get the keys out and
it was normal again?

Yes. Normal except my Mom didn't speak to my Dad the rest of the way home.
I suppose that for her, the safety of the kids was more important than a
masculine expression of roadway etiquette. Us kids were not worried,
because that was was the first car we had with seat belts, and we always
buckled-up, even on twisty low-speed gravel.

A week later, you could still see black patches where the explosions had
blown away the loose gravel from the hardpacked sections.

Laughing again.

I'll bet the Muffler looked a lot different afterwards too!!!
We has a 1969 GMC pickup with a 292 inline 6 - had a "cherry bomb"
muffler on it as a replacement for the original after ONE good
backfire. One day comming down a good long grade with a big
Cockschutt 1955 tractor on the tri-axle towards a narrow bridge where
some guys were working, I shut off rhew ignition for a second, then
back on - never seen guys clear a bridge so quickly in my life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 24 Jul 2017 06:46:36p, told us...

wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:15:27 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

If that does not work, try wrapping aluminum foil around the
transponder. (It is not clear if having a transponder in the
car causes your problem.)

That's not the problem. If a transponder is in the car then it
can't be locked from outside. The is nowhere to inert a metal
key as there are no metal keys.

Did you actually try wrapping the spare transponder in aluminum
foil?

Saran-Wrap is cheaper.

But saran wrap has no chance of sheilding the RF ---

A flexible sheet of lead would probably work best.

In our new car there is an excellennt external hiding place. Of course
I can't eveal it. :-)

A friend years ago installed a "dummy' dual exhaust. The tip screwed
off. Fake Lakes would do the job too - unbolt the cover (cut-out) to
get to the key. I guess you could do it with real lakes too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On 07/25/2017 01:06 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what are "Fake Lakes" or "Lakes" for that
matter?

It's a loud exhaust pipe system assholes put on their cars so they can
annoy other people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 24 Jul 2017 08:18:14p, told us...

Mike_Duffy wrote:

[...]

"lake pipes" - look them up. Fake lakes are just that - decoration
only.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 10:18:35 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrap has no chance of sheilding the RF ---

A flexible sheet of lead would probably work best.

In our new car there is an excellennt external hiding place. Of
course I can't eveal it. :-)

A friend years ago installed a "dummy' dual exhaust. The tip
screwed off. Fake Lakes would do the job too - unbolt the cover
(cut-out) to get to the key. I guess you could do it with real
lakes too.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are "Fake Lakes" or "Lakes" for that
matter?

While they do not have to be, but often the exhaust pipes that run from
the engine down the outside of the car under the doors are what is often
called lake pipes.

The lake pipes are usully a larger exhaust system than the factory and
could have a way of by passing the muffler system.

Ytpical "lake piles" are straight through pipes, sometimes with
"waffles" like the OEM early Z28 exhausts, connected to "cut-outs" to
bypass "legal" exhausts. Historically, they were 2 inch chrome pipes
with removeable end cap plates - some with louvered end plates that
acted somewhat as baffles for street use.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 7/25/17 10:45 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 07:56:42 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 7/24/17 9:37 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 16:27:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/24/2017 2:36 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

He probably does, he just told me how to do it when I went to his car to
get something. He calls my Corolla the cheap Lexus.

Lexus is built on the Toyota chassis. The Corolla is not as fancy, but
is a better value.

No lexus is built on a corolla chassis, and in fact no lexus sold in
North Anerica is built on the same chassis as any Toyota sold in North
America (ublike Honda and Acyra)

Lexus ES350, Toyota Avalon. Same engine, same chassis, same
transmission, same suspension, same body sheet metal.

In the top Avalon trim line, the only real difference is the "L" on the
Lexie's trunk and grill vs. the Toyota scarab.

Oh, and the Lexie steering wheel does have power tilt/retract and swings
out of the way a little when you shut off the engine. An extra year's
warranty too.

OK - so they are selling the decontented Lexus as the Avalon now
instead of rhe strretched upgraded Camry - Was not aware of that, as
they sell SO few Avalons.

Surprising that they don't sell more. The Avalon is a very nice car at a
decent price.

I guess Lexus owners have no problem forking over all that extra dough
for the "prestige" of driving a "carjack me/follow me home for a home
invasion" bait-mobile. They probably also like the rub-up they got from
the faux-snooty Lexus sales droids in the showroom;-)

Bring a heavy wallet for Lexus post-warranty repairs or service...

--
For each gallon of gas purchased in California, you pay 75 cents tax to
the government and eight cents for oil company profits. Those greedy oil

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 07/24/2017 01:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/24/2017 2:36 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

He probably does, he just told me how to do it when I went to his car to
get something. He calls my Corolla the cheap Lexus.

Lexus is built on the Toyota chassis. The Corolla is not as fancy, but
is a better value.

The '13 Corolla dashboard is badly done. It's like they turned that job
over to the new grad who had never heard about ergonomics or the concept
of user-friendliness. I'm average size, but I'd like the seat 2" higher
than its max, and putting a pillow there moves the lumbar "support" bump
to the wrong place.

The Lexus was a nice car to drive. If my mom had asked my advice I
would have told her to get one instead of the POS 88 Caddy which
replaced the POS 78 Caddy. Not as much fun to drive as the S2000,
though, even if I botched half the shifts.

If I didn't need a practical car, I'd get a Honda S2000. Best car I've
ever driven for 20 miles down a twisty mountain road. The Lexus on the
same road was very nice, but not that nice.

I drove mostly GM cars for years. Every one turned into a POS. After
GM suggested I buy a new car rather than have them fix it under
warranty, I've not touched another one.

Mom had hers serviced (farm usage) quarterly by the dealer. I looked at
some of the bills -- if that much work needed to be done on a new car
the manufacturer should have every single car produced recalled. They
also offered her a ridiculous amount (possibly because they knew the
quality of the service/repair given) as a trade-in, so she just gave
them to me. The 78 blew a rod out the pan at under 100K miles. The 88
(which I junked last year) developed pathological non-repairable
throttle problems and tried to kill me several times.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 07/25/2017 08:33 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/25/17 10:45 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 07:56:42 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 7/24/17 9:37 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Friend lives behind a gate overlooking the ocean. Much envy.

Bring a heavy wallet for Lexus post-warranty repairs or service...

Hubby's former boss during the 1960s bought a Lamborghini (or equivalent
-- the James Bond car at the time) and sold it as soon as he found out
that a simple tuneup (we remember what those were, right?) cost $1,000.

Other friend only drives a BMW because his kid is a BMW mech and the
repairs are free.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do.
They don't have the energy. If they had that much energy,
they'd have indoor plumbing by now." -- Ann Coulter

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 07/25/2017 10:17 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
Hubby's former boss during the 1960s bought a Lamborghini (or equivalent
-- the James Bond car at the time) and sold it as soon as he found out
that a simple tuneup (we remember what those were, right?) cost $1,000.

'Simple tuneup' and 'Italian engine' in the same sentence is an oxymoron
waiting to happen. You're probably thinking of the Aston Martin DB5
though. That's the iconic Bond car although others showed up in the
movies over the years.

I don't know what the inflation adjusted cost for the '60s DB5's would
be but the new models are about $200,000. Pay that for a car and a $1000
oil change is just chump change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/17 10:45 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 07:56:42 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 7/24/17 9:37 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Free? Does the kid steal the parts or buy them for Daddy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 4:35:47 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 07/25/2017 10:17 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
Hubby's former boss during the 1960s bought a Lamborghini (or equivalent
-- the James Bond car at the time) and sold it as soon as he found out
that a simple tuneup (we remember what those were, right?) cost $1,000.

'Simple tuneup' and 'Italian engine' in the same sentence is an oxymoron
waiting to happen. You're probably thinking of the Aston Martin DB5
though. That's the iconic Bond car although others showed up in the
movies over the years.

I don't know what the inflation adjusted cost for the '60s DB5's would
be but the new models are about $200,000. Pay that for a car and a $1000
oil change is just chump change.

That sounds like the old "If he can afford that much yard, he can afford to have
someone mow the lawn" argument.

Of course you realize that that is not a valid argument.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 07/25/2017 10:17 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
Hubby's former boss during the 1960s bought a Lamborghini (or equivalent
-- the James Bond car at the time) and sold it as soon as he found out
that a simple tuneup (we remember what those were, right?) cost $1,000.

'Simple tuneup' and 'Italian engine' in the same sentence is an oxymoron
waiting to happen. You're probably thinking of the Aston Martin DB5
though. That's the iconic Bond car although others showed up in the
movies over the years.

DB5 has triple carbs which need to be synchronized, which makes a tuneup
a bit of an adventure. $1000 seems excessive, but it's a couple hours
work to do right. Nearly as bad as an XK-E, but not in the same league
as the Lamborghinis. In part because there is actually enough room to
work inside the engine compartment of the DB5.
--scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 17:31:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

And yet it is. Which is why I've always maintained "of you cANNOT
AFFORD TO DRIVE A NEW ONE, YOU CERTAINLY CANNOT AFFORD A USED ONE"
WHEN IT COMES TO THOSE "EXOTICS"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why are you yelling?

(And "afford to drive" is not the same thing as "paying $X for a car", which is why the use of
"chump change" isn't valid. I'll leave it to you to figure that out.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2017 8:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't know what the inflation adjusted cost for the '60s DB5's would
be but the new models are about $200,000. Pay that for a car and a $1000
oil change is just chump change.

That sounds like the old "If he can afford that much yard, he can afford to have
someone mow the lawn" argument.

Of course you realize that that is not a valid argument.

Many years ago I had a boss than had a BMW. Barely could make the
payments and did not have it serviced very often. I was with him when
it broke down in NYC. I took the train home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/25/2017 06:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

No, I do not realize that at all. The rich are different, or so I've heard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Figure this out. Who will feel a greater impact, Richy Rich paying $1000
to have his $200,000 ride serviced or Joe Sixpack paying $500 for his
Kia service?
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 07/25/2017 07:04 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
DB5 has triple carbs which need to be synchronized, which makes a tuneup
a bit of an adventure. $1000 seems excessive, but it's a couple hours
work to do right. Nearly as bad as an XK-E, but not in the same league
as the Lamborghinis. In part because there is actually enough room to
work inside the engine compartment of the DB5.

Could be worse -- could be an XK150. Getting the SU's to hum the same
tune wasn't all that difficult. The Austin-Healeys had two or three
depending.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2017 10:12 PM, rbowman wrote:

(And "afford to drive" is not the same thing as "paying $X for a car",
which is why the use of
"chump change" isn't valid. I'll leave it to you to figure that out.)

Figure this out. Who will feel a greater impact, Richy Rich paying $1000
to have his $200,000 ride serviced or Joe Sixpack paying $500 for his
Kia service?

If he is truly Richy Rich.
different scenario if he is Mr. Max Mortgage that does not have two
dimes in his pocket..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Accidentally hit the cap lock and hit send without looking.

(And "afford to drive" is not the same thing as "paying $X for a car", which is why the use of
"chump change" isn't valid. I'll leave it to you to figure that out.)

Not saying it's chump change, but there is SOME truth to the idea of
"if you can afford to buy it, you can afford to pay the stupid prices
for maintenance" in that "if you can't afford the maintenance you
can't afford the car" - and the same is true of the used car - which
"will" require more maintenance.