Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

I can no longer activate Windows XP on my desktop computer, even using the various go-arounds offered on the net. I can afford Windows 10 and so on, but I have given too many hours over the years to its Regedit, restore yada features. I do not need bells and whistles. I need a decent word processor, spreadsheet, pdf viewer. I have a small Chromebook as my second computer. For anything serious, I can use my little Chromebook or go to the public library.

I am ready to try a free alternative operating system, such as Linux's Ubuntu.

If you use a free operating system, can you post your thumbs up or thumbs down for it compared to Windows?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I can no longer activate Windows XP on my desktop computer, even using the
various go-arounds offered on the net. I can afford Windows 10 and so on,
but I have given too many hours over the years to its Regedit, restore yada
features. I do not need bells and whistles. I need a decent word processor,
spreadsheet, pdf viewer. I have a small Chromebook as my second computer.
For anything serious, I can use my little Chromebook or go to the public
library.

I am ready to try a free alternative operating system, such as Linux's
Ubuntu.

If you use a free operating system, can you post your thumbs up or thumbs
down for it compared to Windows?

Some people prefer Linux Mint over Ubuntu.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 May 2017 12:46:46 -0400, Bill

I can no longer activate Windows XP on my desktop computer, even using the various go-arounds offered on the net. I can afford Windows 10 and so on, but I have given too many hours over the years to its Regedit, restore yada features. I do not need bells and whistles. I need a decent word processor, spreadsheet, pdf viewer. I have a small Chromebook as my second computer. For anything serious, I can use my little Chromebook or go to the public library.

I am ready to try a free alternative operating system, such as Linux's Ubuntu.

If you use a free operating system, can you post your thumbs up or thumbs down for it compared to Windows?

I have the "Mint" distribution. When you say "free", you mean you won't
pay any money--and you are correct about that, but learning to use Linux
will hardly be "free". Give it as try, you have your Chromebook as back
up. What do you have to lose?

Other than a lot of time and the rest of your hair???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/26/2017 10:49 AM, catalpa wrote:
wrote in message
I can no longer activate Windows XP on my desktop computer, even using the
various go-arounds offered on the net. I can afford Windows 10 and so on,
but I have given too many hours over the years to its Regedit, restore yada
features. I do not need bells and whistles. I need a decent word processor,
spreadsheet, pdf viewer. I have a small Chromebook as my second computer.
For anything serious, I can use my little Chromebook or go to the public
library.

I am ready to try a free alternative operating system, such as Linux's
Ubuntu.

If you use a free operating system, can you post your thumbs up or thumbs
down for it compared to Windows?

Some people prefer Linux Mint over Ubuntu.

I run Kubuntu at work and OpenSUSE at home. Unless you're a geek, the
desktop is what matters. I prefer KDE, hence Kubuntu. Ubuntu went down
the Unity rabbit hole following Microsoft. It went over so well they're
dropping it.

Mint is based on Ubuntu but uses the Cinnamon desktop by default.
Cinnamon is a child of GNOME and built with Gtk+. You can use other
desktops but in my experience with various distros, trying to graft on
another desktop can result in sort of an unstable mess.

The other thing to take into consideration is the degree of ideological
purity. not using proprietary drivers is pure and so forth but can also
result in stuff not working. I ain't pure. I don't lose sleep if NVidia
releases a driver that isn't Stallman Pure Open Source GPL as long as it
works. After a fwe go arounds with reverse engineered LexMark drivers
because LexMark doesn't do Linux and your purity slips. Along with your
desire to ever buy a LexMark printer.

As the OP probably has gathered the problem with Linux is sort of like
if someone says "I don't like GM cars. Are there any other cars out
there?" and the answer is "Ford." There are big Fords, little Fords,
trucky Fords, fast Fords....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 26 May 2017 09:37:02p, Bill told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 26 May 2017 06:59:29p, songbird told us...

wrote: ...
I am ready to try a free alternative operating system, such as
Linux's Ubuntu.

If you use a free operating system, can you post your thumbs up
or thumbs down for it compared to Windows?
certainly give it a try.

i've been running Debian for many years and Ubuntu is
based upon Debian, but is supposedly easier to use.

there will be a learning curve, but if you have time
i consider it time well spent. i like puzzles instead
of watching tv anyways...

i can't even remember the last time i booted my
other machine which has win98 on it, the battery has
probably died by now (it also has Debian on it).

songbird

Certainly there are alternative operating systems other than
Windows. Do I pesonally want to use them? A definite no. I don't
want to spend (waste) my time "making" something work, whereas
WINDows 10 will be 100% compatible with my hardware, other
software, peripherals, all the drivers and firmware, etc.
Windows 10 allows me to USE my system rather than playing with
it.

Some of us have more than one OS on the same hardware running
concurrently--offering a few more choices than you have above.

I'm sure many of you are running more than one OS. I wasn't
suggesting that everyone should only run Windows. However, I have no
need for those additional choices that you seem to need. I have
exactly what I need.

The most important property for new users is ease of conversion.
I found Zorin OS 9 to be VERY easy to operate from a windows perspective.
It integrated into my network without itervention and just worked.

I played with Zorin 12 and judged it to be a step backward from 9.

Give MacPup linux V5.50 a try. It's very user friendly and
gives you a lot of help in the few cases it requires user input.
Runs very well off a DVD.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
However, I have no need for those additional choices that you seem to
need. I have
exactly what I need.

How do you know what you are missing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 May 2017 05:12:54 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Fri 26 May 2017 09:25:38p, told us...

wrote: ...
[...]

I know that all you opponents will not agree. :-)

I agree 110% - after working in the computer support business for
over 26 years. Is windows perfect? Far from it - but it's about as
good as it gets, in the big picture.

Clare, I have a similar and lengthy work background. You're right
that Windows is not perfect and probably never will be, but for me
it's best option and I doubt I'll ever change my mind.

Thanks!

Iworkes with Unix and Vines decades ago - and I can truthfully say I
do NOT miss it!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 May 2017 03:53:24 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
However, I have no need for those additional choices that you seem to
need. I have
exactly what I need.

How do you know what you are missing?

Whatever it is, I haven't found myself needing it ---
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2017 4:13 PM, Bill wrote:
wrote:
[...]

He has been warned! : ) If he downloads Mint, then based upon my
experience, he should then head over to Oracle to download and install
their implementation of Java, the JVM. Let the learning begin... : )

You are correct according to what I've read. I just googled up
doeslinux mint work with programs I use like MS Office or free like
mozilla stuff and each had some comment on how to get these programs to
work on that OS. I would also like to be free of Microsoft but programs
are all set to use there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/26/2017 08:10 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

[snip]

Most new Linux users start with Ubuntu.

I did, in 2010. Then, when they introduced Unity I really didn't like
that GUI and switched to Lubuntu, which is the same but a different GUI.

For most problems, I found solutions on the web.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It was well known how profitable this fable of Christ has been to us."
- Pope Leo X (as reported by Rev. Tavlor in the Diegesis)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright writes:

[...]

Well, since you don't even indicate you have tried, I'm inclined
to completely ignore your opinion.

You state your Windows 10 system is completely trouble free.
I'm finding that hard to accept.

My experience with Windows is that things go wrong and
it's very difficult to understand why. I've had to re-install
the entire Windows OS more than once. I once had a failing drive
on a laptop. All I got from windows was various hangs and strange
behavior. Booted up Linux on the same machine and it showed me
disk errors.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote: ...
[...]

Why don't you two get a room? I suppose you've never touched Android or
Chrome OS? You've never visited a web site running on Linux or on a
Windows VM spun up by the root Linux OS? You are hanging onto your
Windows phones and Windows RT tablets for dear life?

Remember Window 3.1 where you had to load a third party stack created by
Trumpet Software from a floppy if you expected to connect to anything
other than a dialup board?

I'll agree Windows may be the best choice for the average consumer just
like a Honda Civic is the choice Consumer Reports always comes up with.
I cut my teeth on FORTRAN IV in 1965 and have developed software for
most OS's except Apple. Nothing against Apple but nobody ever wanted to
pay me to work on Apple devices. Like cars, they are all pretty much the
same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright writes:

On Sat 27 May 2017 08:53:40a, Frank told us...

wrote: ...
[...]

I agree with you but I applaud their efforts. Everybody wins when
there is competition.

Oh, I have no problem with what others do. I do have a problem when
they tell me what I should.

So fortunate for you that no one told you what to do.

FWIW, between Microsoft and Apple, I don't see a snowball's chance in
hell of any other others ever becoming conpetitive with those two
behemoths, at least not in my lifetime.

Of course, don't count Android.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 May 2017 12:50:42 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Wayne Boatwright writes:

[...]

I have to re-install windows to solve a problem in well over 8
years. It's been a coon's age since I've had windows lock up on a
machine that meets the compatability requirements for the version of
windows being run. I've got Win10Pro running on an itty-bitty Acer
Asipre One - the low powered atom verion. It hangs occaisionally, but
it barely ran XP, and I'm sure it would be pretty limited on Linux as
well.

Playing with 10 on it is as far as I want to go with "playing"

If I want to "play" with "alternative OS" I can pull out my old
Rat-Shack CoCo and plat with the old OS9 6809 multi-tasking OS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote: ...
[...]

Android has taken the phone and tablet market by storm. Not much
chance of it becoming a competitor on the desktop. Same with Chrome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 May 2017 17:38:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sat 27 May 2017 10:21:08a, Dan Espen told us...

wrote: ...
[...]

I was specifically addressing desktop computers. My cell phone hs an
Android OS. I wasn't aware that the Android OS was used on any PCs.
If so, I still wouldn't be interested.

I hate it on my tablet - still use BB10 on my phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/27/2017 11:52 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
I worked on computers and software, ncluding FORTRAN, back in the
1960s too. But we're not living in the 1960s, and I see no reason to
daredge up the past. I prefer living in the present and future and
use the technology that I prefer. I don't care to disuss this
further.

You are the one that said "Clare, I have a similar and lengthy work
background." You're right, we're done. Enjoy Windows 10, its ads, and
its spyware.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote: ...
[...]

they tell me what I should. FWIW, between Microsoft and Apple, I
don't see a snowball's chance in hell of any other others ever
becoming conpetitive with those two behemoths, at least not in my
lifetime.

I think you are overlooking Google and its Android platform.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 27 May 2017 12:11:23p, Bill told us...

wrote: ...
[...]

when they tell me what I should. FWIW, between Microsoft and
Apple, I don't see a snowball's chance in hell of any other
others ever becoming conpetitive with those two behemoths, at
least not in my lifetime.

I think you are overlooking Google and its Android platform.

AFAIK, neither are platforms used on desktop computers. Some of
Google's software, yes, but not their OS. I use Android on my cell
phone and find that it's appropriate there.

What I think you were overlooking is the significance of the platform
(when you compared it to MS's product and Apple's products). I heard
someone say last week, "The phone is the new TV"; I think it's fair to
say that the new "phones" go along way towards replacing a desktop too
for a lot of people as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 May 2017 16:13:10 -0400, Bill

[...]

Java is not needed for ANY everyday utils like word processor,
browser, email client, music and video player, text editor. (Suggest
LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Audacious , VLC and Leafpad
respectively, but you can find dozens of alternatives in the package
manager.

As to dists, Mint for absolute newbies (it's be something like
your ChromeBrick), or maybe PCLinuxOS

There are a lot of choices:

http://distrowatch.com/

The main thing is, DO NOT INSTALL anything other than what
your package manager offers. Installation is automatic and all
dependencies are taken care of by the manager.
Anything downloaded separately (like Oracle Java) will be a
massive security hazard, and unless you are proficient with fixing
Linux code, avoid it like the plague.
HTH
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/26/2017 08:30 AM, wrote:
I can no longer activate Windows XP on my desktop computer, even using the various go-arounds offered on the net. I can afford Windows 10 and so on, but I have given too many hours over the years to its Regedit, restore yada features. I do not need bells and whistles. I need a decent word processor, spreadsheet, pdf viewer. I have a small Chromebook as my second computer. For anything serious, I can use my little Chromebook or go to the public library.

I am ready to try a free alternative operating system, such as Linux's Ubuntu.

If you use a free operating system, can you post your thumbs up or thumbs down for it compared to Windows?

Damn!! I missed this post!!! And everyone else had
a lot of constructive stuff to say too! Not fair,
not fair, not fair! What ???? I heard that! Life
is unfair ??

Linux is technically superior to Windows, and not by
a little, but by a lot. Now a days it is as easy
to use as is Windows too.

Check our the Live DVD's and see which one your like. KDE
was what Windows 7 was based on. Xfce is very sparse and
fast (my favorite), Gnome is weird for the sake of
weirdness (but some really love it).

Linux's downfall is the lack of applications. There is no
Turbo Tax, No Quick Books, No M$ Office (you can get it
to run under Wine), yada, yada, yada.

So it depends, a crappy OS with five different apps to
do everything and gets infected with the turn of the wind
or a technically elegant OS with sparse amount of apps.

Your choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-05-28, T wrote:

Linux's downfall is the lack of applications.

Nonsense.

There is no Turbo Tax

GNUCash

No Quick Books

If I don't know what it is, so why woudld I care?

No M$ Office

Open Office, Libre Office, etc

So it depends, a crappy OS with five different apps to
do everything and gets infected with the turn of the wind
or a technically elegant OS with sparse amount of apps.

Yes, Winblows has more sophisticated applications (a term replaced by
"apps". cuz today's kids cannot express 4 syllables), but they are all
proprietary. IOW, they cost $$$$.

Yes, Winblows has more "accepted" applications/programs, but only cuz
stupid ppl are willing to spend $$$$ to solve their problems. I find
it hilarious that kids, today, can type faster with their thumbs than
I can by touch-typing on a regular keyboard, yet they are terrified of
the command line (CLI). WTF!?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/27/2017 05:38 PM, notbob wrote:
On 2017-05-28, T wrote:

[...]

Wonderful list!

I adore Ink Scape and PDF Studio.

Please note that GNU Cash DOES NOT do inventory or payroll.