Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lauricek

Default Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system

I unplugged my ipod while it was in "Disk Mode" and the screen said "Do
Not Disconnect". Now I can't get my PC to recognize it. I may have
damaged the hard drive. I ran a hard drive test and it failed. It is
hard for me to believe that what I did could have damaged the ipod
beyond repair. Does anybody know what I can do to fix it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

reformatting it might do the trick. try reloading your ipod software
and it will try to detect the corrupted drive and reformat it.

remember that the Filesystem of an ipod is different from XP

hth

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Keiser

Try a "reboot" first: if I recall, just hold menu + center buttons for a few
seconds. May startup again without need to reload all your songs.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"do not take any innovative steps such as trying to format the drive"

innovative. right.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

lauricek wrote:
I unplugged my ipod while it was in "Disk Mode" and the screen said "Do
Not Disconnect". Now I can't get my PC to recognize it. I may have
damaged the hard drive. I ran a hard drive test and it failed. It is
hard for me to believe that what I did could have damaged the ipod
beyond repair. Does anybody know what I can do to fix it?

I doubt you damaged the hardware itself, if it is actually bad then it's
probably a coincidence.

What I suspect happened is you unplugged it before the write cache had
cleared and corrupted the partition on the disk. Go to Administrative
Tools in the control panel and then find Disk Management, plug in the
drive and see if it shows up, you should be able to create a new
partition on it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lauricek

Thanks for the advice but it didn't work; my pc does not recognize the
ipod. Every time I hook it to the computer USB port it goes into "DISK
MODE" and displays the "Do Not Disconnect" until I shut down the
computer. I appreciate any advice.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lauricek

I tried that but the ipod didn't show up on the computer. Every time I
hook it to the computer USB port it goes into "DISK MODE" and displays
the "Do Not Disconnect" until I shut down the computer. I appreciate
any advice.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

better put back to default mode

we love google.

Why aren't computer clocks as accurate as cheap quartz watches? [email protected] Electronics Repair 584 April 7th 06 11:08 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
iPod photo and Windows XP (OT for uk.diy) Adrian Berry UK diy 15 May 27th 05 11:26 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM