DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/143707-ipod-3g-20gb-windows-xp-operating-system.html)

lauricek February 7th 06 06:53 AM

Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system

I unplugged my ipod while it was in "Disk Mode" and the screen said "Do
Not Disconnect". Now I can't get my PC to recognize it. I may have
damaged the hard drive. I ran a hard drive test and it failed. It is
hard for me to believe that what I did could have damaged the ipod
beyond repair. Does anybody know what I can do to fix it?

[email protected] February 7th 06 09:36 AM

Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system

reformatting it might do the trick. try reloading your ipod software
and it will try to detect the corrupted drive and reformat it.

remember that the Filesystem of an ipod is different from XP

:)
hth

Don Bowey February 7th 06 06:57 PM

Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system

On 2/6/06 10:53 PM, in article
, "lauricek"
wrote:

I unplugged my ipod while it was in "Disk Mode" and the screen said "Do
Not Disconnect". Now I can't get my PC to recognize it. I may have
damaged the hard drive. I ran a hard drive test and it failed. It is
hard for me to believe that what I did could have damaged the ipod
beyond repair. Does anybody know what I can do to fix it?

I doubt that you damaged the drive, but you certainly could have interrupted
an update that left it seriously confused.

Go to Apple.com/support. There are 5 or 6 steps recommended, from which you
can do one or more to "fix" your iPod. Do them, do not take any innovative
steps such as trying to format the drive. Don't try to treat it qs though
it is just another hard drive. It isn't.

Don

John Keiser February 7th 06 07:36 PM

Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system

Try a "reboot" first: if I recall, just hold menu + center buttons for a few
seconds. May startup again without need to reload all your songs.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

[email protected] February 8th 06 01:21 AM

Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system

"do not take any innovative steps such as trying to format the drive"

innovative. right.

:)

James Sweet February 8th 06 03:25 AM

lauricek wrote:
I unplugged my ipod while it was in "Disk Mode" and the screen said "Do
Not Disconnect". Now I can't get my PC to recognize it. I may have
damaged the hard drive. I ran a hard drive test and it failed. It is
hard for me to believe that what I did could have damaged the ipod
beyond repair. Does anybody know what I can do to fix it?

I doubt you damaged the hardware itself, if it is actually bad then it's
probably a coincidence.

What I suspect happened is you unplugged it before the write cache had
cleared and corrupted the partition on the disk. Go to Administrative
Tools in the control panel and then find Disk Management, plug in the
drive and see if it shows up, you should be able to create a new
partition on it.

lauricek February 8th 06 11:55 PM

Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system

Thanks for the advice but it didn't work; my pc does not recognize the
ipod. Every time I hook it to the computer USB port it goes into "DISK
MODE" and displays the "Do Not Disconnect" until I shut down the
computer. I appreciate any advice.

lauricek February 8th 06 11:59 PM

Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system

I tried that but the ipod didn't show up on the computer. Every time I

Don Bowey February 9th 06 01:03 AM

Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system

On 2/8/06 3:59 PM, in article
, "lauricek"
wrote:

I tried that but the ipod didn't show up on the computer. Every time I
hook it to the computer USB port it goes into "DISK MODE" and displays
the "Do Not Disconnect" until I shut down the computer. I appreciate
any advice.

You tried What?

The reason people quote the post to which they are responding, is so
everyone can make some sense of the new post. Hint hint.....

Have you turned off the disk mode in iTunes? Did you try the suggestions
and downloads at the Apple site?

[email protected] February 9th 06 06:57 AM

Ipod 3G 20GB windows xp operating system

better put back to default mode ;)

we love google.