Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

On 5/26/2017 4:13 PM, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 12:46:46 -0400, Bill

I can no longer activate Windows XP on my desktop computer, even
using the various go-arounds offered on the net. I can afford
Windows 10 and so on, but I have given too many hours over the years
to its Regedit, restore yada features. I do not need bells and
whistles. I need a decent word processor, spreadsheet, pdf viewer. I
have a small Chromebook as my second computer. For anything serious,
I can use my little Chromebook or go to the public library.

I am ready to try a free alternative operating system, such as
Linux's Ubuntu.

If you use a free operating system, can you post your thumbs up or
thumbs down for it compared to Windows?
I have the "Mint" distribution. When you say "free", you mean you won't
pay any money--and you are correct about that, but learning to use Linux
will hardly be "free". Give it as try, you have your Chromebook as back
up. What do you have to lose?

Other than a lot of time and the rest of your hair???

He has been warned! : ) If he downloads Mint, then based upon my
experience, he should then head over to Oracle to download and install
their implementation of Java, the JVM. Let the learning begin... : )

You are correct according to what I've read. I just googled up
doeslinux mint work with programs I use like MS Office or free like
mozilla stuff and each had some comment on how to get these programs to
work on that OS. I would also like to be free of Microsoft but programs
are all set to use there.