Posted to alt.home.repair
Mysterious Traveller Mysterious Traveller is offline

Default Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

I can no longer activate Windows XP on my desktop computer, even using the various go-arounds offered on the net. I can afford Windows 10 and so on, but I have given too many hours over the years to its Regedit, restore yada features. I do not need bells and whistles. I need a decent word processor, spreadsheet, pdf viewer. I have a small Chromebook as my second computer. For anything serious, I can use my little Chromebook or go to the public library.

I am ready to try a free alternative operating system, such as Linux's Ubuntu.

If you use a free operating system, can you post your thumbs up or thumbs down for it compared to Windows?

I have the "Mint" distribution. When you say "free", you mean you won't
pay any money--and you are correct about that, but learning to use Linux
will hardly be "free". Give it as try, you have your Chromebook as back
up. What do you have to lose?

alt.os.linux.mint
Good advice from good people.