Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 02:09:54 -0400, Bill
wrote:

On Thu 01 Jun 2017 07:22:55p, Roger Blake told us...

On 2017-06-01, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
Beleve me, I well understand. I clocked in around 35 years if
you count working with mainframe and mini computers at Bell Labs.
Piddling around with desktop machines of any ilk was like
child's play by comparison. The average person simply doesn't
undersand and doesn't want to. They think they're so smart
working with their little Linux and Unix boxes. Little do they
know. They're welcome to it, IMHO.
You newbies really are a hoot. I measure the uptime on my "little
Linux and Unix" boxes in years. But whatever, if you want to stay
in the Windows playpen you are welcome to it.

You're so full of crap it makes my eyes water. I was working with Unix
on mini computers before you even knew what it was. I just prefer to
not have it on a personal computer.

You have to admit, in terms of "using/managing resources" Windows is a
joke.. it hardly tries.
I think that is embarrassing considering how long it has been out
there. For an upgrade, MS changes the desktop, or invades your privacy
more..

Windows 10 does a MUCH better job of it than earlier versions. If you
are basing your opinion of Windows on Version 3.1 you need to take
another look at Windows. 3.1 WAS CRAP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 06:54:51 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Thu 01 Jun 2017 11:09:54p, Bill told us...

On 2017-06-01, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
[...]

I really don't care what you think or what you believe.

+1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-06-01, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
[...]

That's a sneaky way of avoiding my concerns! Why did you make this
personal?

All the 'NIX nazis have been making it personal from the very
beginning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/02/2017 08:12 PM, wrote:
The "up time" on my Windows boxes has regularly exceded 6 months -
and then all I do is reboot - and it's not because it locked up.

So you run unpatched Windows?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

When I worked at Bell Labs before the days of even the concept of a
desktop computer, we ran three types of systems. Our IBM mainframes
performed all batch processing and used all IBM software. Our
Sperry Univac mainframes ran all the real time processing and used
Sperry software. The third area were all mini computers of various
manufacturers and all ran Unix software. Those who worked on the
mini computers were a species unto themselves and seriously thought
that their systems had more power than our four floors of mainframe
hardware. They were a conceited self-inflated bunch of *******s.

That 3rd group would probably contain the "guru" you'd like to get help
from if you ran into a tough problem...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you everyone for your input.

At present the biggest barrier for me for switching to a Linux OS is that:

-- my computer cannot boot from a memory stick or thumb drive.

-- my computer can boot from my CD-Rom drive, using a CD-R disc.

-- A CD-R disc holds only 700 Megabytes. Xubuntu OS (for one) reguires several Gigabytes. I have not tried to download the installation files for Xubuntu onto a CD-R yet but am concerned there will be problems. Will multiple discs work as I download the Linux Xubuntu system for installation? Comment with suggestions as interested.

-- I think the rest of my hardware is fine. The CPU is an x86 but okay, per what I have read, for Xubuntu.

-- I re-loaded my Windows XP and have another 30 days or so before the activation problems kick in again. I believe the reason I cannot bypass activation is the wpa.dbl file sees too much new hardware. So Windows XP thinks I am trying to unlawfully load the software on a second computer. Which arguably, given all the hardware change-outs I have done on my beloved old 2006 workhorse desktop could be said to be fair. Over the years, I have installed a few replacement mobos; new power supply; new RAM; new SSD; new CD-drive..

-- I have decided to continue to pursue a Linux OS. Just gotta get past the hurdle of how to boot it up to try installing it. Why am I doing this? Because my loathing for Microsoft has become a near-religion. I wonder if Microsoft's refusing to provide support for Windows XP after a certain date really passes legal muster. I wonder whether, if push comes to shove, maybe Microsoft is obliged to provide a patch for the activation situation.

-- The ultimate hypocrisy: I have owned stock in Microsoft for around a decade. It has done well. It's clear to me it will continue to do so. Plenty of sheep out there. Let's see if I end up re-joining the ranks of the sheep.

-- If I get a Linux system running, I plan to use OfficeLibre for my word processing and spreadsheets. My local public library offers this on its computers. I think its fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 05:45:19 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

You need a "lightweight" Linux Distro. Take a look at Puppy Linux, it
is quite capable.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%...%20Started.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

Thank you everyone for your input.

At present the biggest barrier for me for switching to a Linux OS is that:

-- my computer cannot boot from a memory stick or thumb drive.

-- my computer can boot from my CD-Rom drive, using a CD-R disc.

So, then no problem:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

The minimal iso image will download packages from online archives at
installation time instead of providing them on the install media
itself. ...

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan and Gfre, have not connected my desktop to the internet in two years. It is not set up for wireless. If I had to, I think I could set it up again. But I think I would rather try some alternate routes.

If I bought a DVD-R drive, would my 2006 desktop computer be able to operate it? I am plenty handy at replacing drives. The MoBo is a Socket 478 MSI PM8M-V VIA P4M800 Serial Parallel port,
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813130519

Thank you notbob and others for the guides.

Norman, I am considering Puppy Linux. Thank you.

I am fine tinkering. I am writing this latest adventure off as another home improvement project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The third area were all mini computers of various
manufacturers and all ran Unix software. Those who worked on the
mini computers were a species unto themselves and seriously thought
that their systems had more power than our four floors of mainframe
hardware. They were a conceited self-inflated bunch of *******s.

Let me see... I'd like to run my latest code through an assembler. I can
run it on the PDP-11 over in the corner, or submit it to the OS/370 gods
running the timeshare system along with a goat and get the job back in a
day or two after they get done running the quarterly reports. Difficult
decision.

In later days I moved to CP/M. It might not have been more powerful but
IT wasn't going to buy a $12,000 Z-80 cross assembler to run on the
mainframe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2017 12:51 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Oddly enough that 3rd group no longer exists at Bell Labs, nor does
their equipment. However, all the mainframe equipment and personnel
are still going strong.

A lot of stuff no longer exists at Bell after the Lucent/Alcatel/Nokia
blood baths...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2017 06:45 AM, wrote:
-- A CD-R disc holds only 700 Megabytes. Xubuntu OS (for one) reguires several Gigabytes. I have not tried to download the installation files for Xubuntu onto a CD-R yet but am concerned there will be problems. Will multiple discs work as I download the Linux Xubuntu system for installation? Comment with suggestions as interested.

Many of the distros have a core set that will fit on a CD. There is
enough to get you up and running and establish an internet connection,
either wired or wireless, and then it goes and gets the rest. You can
fine tune what gets installed but for just a consumer box the defaults
work well. I'm a developer so I need build tools and other stuff many
people wouldn't.

There will be some sort of package manager GUI. For example if I
suddenly get an urge to play backgammon I can fire up Yast2, type
backgammon in the search bar and find gnugb:

Program for playing and analysing backgammon positions, games and
matches. It is based on a neural network. It currently plays at about
the level of a championship flight tournament player. Depending on its
parameters and its luck in recent games, it rates from around 1900 to
2000 on FIBS, the First Internet Backgammon Server -- at its strongest,
it ranks in the top 5 of over 6000 rated players there and is gradually
improving.

As you get more familiar most of the work can be done from the command
line. For example

~/$gnubg
If 'gnubg' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the
package that contains it, like this:
cnf gnubg

~/$cnf gnubg

The program 'gnubg' can be found in the following package:
* gnubg [ path: /usr/bin/gnubg, repository: zypp (repo-oss) ]

Try installing with:
sudo zypper install gnubg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2017 08:21 AM, notbob wrote:
Slackware also can be loaded from CDs. My desktop allegedly loads
from flash drives and DVDs, but it doesn't work so I hafta load from
CDs, too.

Back in the day I loaded Slackware from floppies -- 43 of them iirc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2017 11:06 AM, wrote:
If I bought a DVD-R drive, would my 2006 desktop computer be able to operate it? I am plenty handy at replacing drives. The MoBo is a Socket 478 MSI PM8M-V VIA P4M800 Serial Parallel port,
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813130519

It should be able to. It's just another SATA drive and you can pick one
up for $20 - $25.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 10:06:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Dan and Gfre, have not connected my desktop to the internet in two years. It is not set up for wireless. If I had to, I think I could set it up again. But I think I would rather try some alternate routes.

If I bought a DVD-R drive, would my 2006 desktop computer be able to operate it? I am plenty handy at replacing drives. The MoBo is a Socket 478 MSI PM8M-V VIA P4M800 Serial Parallel port,
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813130519

Thank you notbob and others for the guides.

Norman, I am considering Puppy Linux. Thank you.

I am fine tinkering. I am writing this latest adventure off as another home improvement project.

You can get the SP3 update and load it from a disk or a stick.
(WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe a 324,033 byte file)
At that point it would easy to log in and get it authenticated. If you
are not interested in WiFi, use a cable. There are also some hacks to
just bypass the whole thing out there.
The advantage of authenticating it is you will get about 150 updates,
depending on what else is loaded and you can also get some MS software
if you want it, like movie maker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 02:41:44 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

When I worked at Bell Labs before the days of even the concept of a
desktop computer, we ran three types of systems. Our IBM mainframes
performed all batch processing and used all IBM software. Our
Sperry Univac mainframes ran all the real time processing and used
Sperry software. The third area were all mini computers of various
manufacturers and all ran Unix software. Those who worked on the
mini computers were a species unto themselves and seriously thought
that their systems had more power than our four floors of mainframe
hardware. They were a conceited self-inflated bunch of *******s.

That 3rd group would probably contain the "guru" you'd like to get help
from if you ran into a tough problem...

Not if the problem was on either the Sperry or IBM mainframe. Their
"Nix knowlege didn't transfer and mainframes were "beneath them"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

-- I re-loaded my Windows XP and have another 30 days or so before the activation problems kick in again. I believe the reason I cannot bypass activation is the wpa.dbl file sees too much new hardware. So Windows XP thinks I am trying to unlawfully load the software on a second computer. Which arguably, given all the hardware change-outs I have done on my beloved old 2006 workhorse desktop could be said to be fair. Over the years, I have installed a few replacement mobos; new power supply; new RAM; new SSD; new CD-drive.

Did you load the SP3 updates? If so it should activate vis the server.
Without SP3 it will have a connection problem. This is 2 week old info
since I just reloaded this PC, using an old 25 digit code I had laying
around from another active machine. That one is still going too

CERTAIN OEM versions will not activate on hardware it does not
recognize, and you most definitely DO need SP3 in order to activate
win XP, for several years now. As far as any legal requirement to
continue to support "legacy" software? Not a chance.

Ford is not even required to stock/provide replacement parts for
vehicles over 7 or 10 years old except for emission parts IF they are
covered by warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 08:42:20 -0400, Roy wrote:

Running a system with known security holes seems foolish to me...but I'm
sure you've got an excuse for that too.

Which one does not have security holes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman writes:

On 06/03/2017 12:51 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Oddly enough that 3rd group no longer exists at Bell Labs, nor does
their equipment. However, all the mainframe equipment and personnel
are still going strong.

A lot of stuff no longer exists at Bell after the Lucent/Alcatel/Nokia
blood baths...

Yet down the Bell Labs-Bellcore-Telcordia-Ericsson path there are loads of
Unix systems. To this day you can even request a desktop Linux
system if you don't want to follow the Windows route.

Pretty sure you're going to find lots of Unix at Nokia...
Google search...yep. Wayne is full of bull.
He sees a question from someone asking which Linux distro
to try and butts in with his Anti-Linux Windows Fan Boy stuff.

He keeps saying he's going to go away.
The only useful thing he's suggested in this thread.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
Pretty sure you're going to find lots of Unix at Nokia...
Google search...yep. Wayne is full of bull.
He sees a question from someone asking which Linux distro
to try and butts in with his Anti-Linux Windows Fan Boy stuff.

Lots of people will tell you they "don't need to" (i.e. can't be
bothered) to learn new things. Surely the vast majority of computer
users don't really like to learn technical things about computers... I
learned BASIC after school in 8th grade on a dumb-terminal attached to a
mainframe and saved by "files" on paper tape (a number of years before
windows), so I'm really not sure what to say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 4:47:49 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

You can buy a dvd drive for less than $20, no?

I bought a DVD drive (IDE connector) today from a second-hand computer shop for $5.

I copied the iso file from the DVD to my hard drive.

I downloaded a free iso extractor and extracted the xbuntu xfce files.

I downloaded free software for burning the extracted files onto a blank DVD-R.

I burned the extracted files onto the blank DVD-R. They seem to all be there, from a review of "Properties" for this drive.

I switched the computer's bios to boot from the DVD.

No luck. I cannot find anything on the net that explains how to create a bootable CD for xubuntu without being connected to the net.

I do not want to get the wifi hardware for my old computer, connect to the internet and be bombarded with updates. Tell me if my approach is hopeless. All other suggestions are welcome. I know DOS command prompt language.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, per numerous sites, I tried booting from the new DVD drive, with the iso file for xubuntu xfce on it. No booting happened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 7:42:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Also, per numerous sites, I tried booting from the new DVD drive, with the iso file for xubuntu xfce on it. No booting happened.

The specific error message I get when booting from the DVD with the xubuntu iso file is:

"Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter."
Posted to alt.home.repair

cjt wrote:
On 06/05/2017 07:35 PM, wrote:
snips

Copying the files isn't what you want. You need something that will
write the iso as a disk image. Otherwise the boot sectors don't get
written.

Please share how it works out!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2017 5:35 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 4:47:49 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

You can buy a dvd drive for less than $20, no?

I bought a DVD drive (IDE connector) today from a second-hand computer shop for $5.

I copied the iso file from the DVD to my hard drive.

It's certainly possible to save an .iso file to a DVD, but that's
not typical.

I downloaded a free iso extractor and extracted the xbuntu xfce files.

I downloaded free software for burning the extracted files onto a blank DVD-R.

Don't burn the extracted files. Burn the iso.

Find someone with a windows computer. Download the linux .iso.
Download and install ImgBurn. Run ImgBurn.
click on "Write image file to disc" and point it at the downloaded .iso.

You can certainly do the same thing starting with linux, but I don't know
the exact commands to do it.