Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Button holes

OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/21/2017 10:19 PM, Micky wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?

Try asking these guys:
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/contact-us/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 12:19 AM, Micky wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?

I looked at all my shirts, and found NO horizontal button holes except
on the collar (not bottom).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"When I think of all the harm the Bible has done, I despair of ever
writing anything to equal it." -Oscar Wilde

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 1:19:28 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?

It's easier to do it that way in the machine that makes them.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

'Good' shirts have the horizontal hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 01:19 AM, Micky wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?

I have no idea. My Cutter & Bucks do but the Van Heusens and L L Beans
don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 08:19:18 +0300, Micky wrote:

OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?

In most shirts, there is more likely to be horizontal stress/pulling
than vertical stress/pulling. Buttons are more likely to stay in the
buttonhole if the direction of the stress is in the same direction of
the stress (button pulls to end of buttonhole) than if it is
perpendicular (button pulls out of buttonhole). So horizontal button
holes are actually more functional than vertical.

However, vertical button holes look better in general. Especially so
if the button is being pulled to the end of the buttonhole.

So convention has been to use vertical button holes except where the
button hole is likely to be out of sight. This is typically the bottom
most button hole (tucked into your pants) and sometimes the topmost
button hole also (under your tie, or unbuttoned)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

Default MIKEY LIKES IT, HE TALKS ABOUT "Button holes"

On 4/21/2017 10:19 PM, Micky wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?

Asian babes got horizontal holes, too.
Did you know that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 08:17:39 -0400, Trumpster
wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the
button holes are oriented vertically except for the
bottom one, which is horizontal?

I have no idea. My Cutter & Bucks do but the Van
Heusens and L L Beans don't.

One reason for the bottom button hole to be horizontal is when shirts
are tucked in, the bottom button won't come open from the tension and
the shirt is less likely to ride up.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the
button holes are oriented vertically except for the
bottom one, which is horizontal?

I have no idea. My Cutter & Bucks do but the Van
Heusens and L L Beans don't.

One reason for the bottom button hole to be horizontal is when shirts
are tucked in, the bottom button won't come open from the tension and
the shirt is less likely to ride up.

That, and the tension of the fabric from a big gut ;-)

--
You cant get rich in politics unless youre a crook.
- President Harry Truman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 06:33 AM, Thomas wrote:
'Good' shirts have the horizontal hole.

Guess I need to invest in better t-shirts
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote in
:

OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?

The only horrozontal hole I've ever seen was owned by an oriental lady I
once dated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 04:08:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 1:19:28 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?

It's easier to do it that way in the machine that makes them.

Cindy Hamilton

You've lost me. It's easier to do the vertically, horizontally, or to
change for the last one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 10:24:59 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/22/2017 06:33 AM, Thomas wrote:
'Good' shirts have the horizontal hole.

Guess I need to invest in better t-shirts

(...or "wife beater shirts") https://tinyurl.com/n4ezr45

IIRC female shirts have buttons on the opposite side than a male
shirt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 1:19:28 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?

It's easier to do it that way in the machine that makes them.

Cindy Hamilton

You've lost me. It's easier to do the vertically, horizontally, or to
change for the last one?

Sewing machines make button holes parallel to the direction the
fabric travels. You can put the top of a shirt in the machine,
move it a couple inches for every buttonhole, and when you reach
the bottom you're done. If you want the last button hole perpendicular,
you can turn the shirt for that one.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the
button holes are oriented vertically except for the
bottom one, which is horizontal?

I have no idea. My Cutter & Bucks do but the Van
Heusens and L L Beans don't.

One reason for the bottom button hole to be horizontal is when shirts
are tucked in, the bottom button won't come open from the tension and
the shirt is less likely to ride up.

That, and the tension of the fabric from a big gut ;-)

haha! We aren't supposed to notice that!

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 06:33 AM, Thomas wrote:
'Good' shirts have the horizontal hole.

That reminds me of the 'good' scissors my mother had when I was growing
up, where 'good' means you can't use them.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"When I think of all the harm the Bible has done, I despair of ever
writing anything to equal it." -Oscar Wilde
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 07:25 AM, wrote:

and sometimes the topmost
button hole also (under your tie, or unbuttoned)

I never button those. I really don't like the feeling of being strangled.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"When I think of all the harm the Bible has done, I despair of ever
writing anything to equal it." -Oscar Wilde
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 11:06 AM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

IIRC female shirts have buttons on the opposite side than a male
shirt.

The way I heard it, male shirts have the buttons where they're easier to
reach. Female shirts have buttons where they're easier for someone else
to reach. Seems that wouldn't make sense anymore, but people get
mentally stuck and assume the way it's been done is the best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 1:19:28 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?

It's easier to do it that way in the machine that makes them.

Cindy Hamilton

You've lost me. It's easier to do the vertically, horizontally, or to
change for the last one?

Sewing machines make button holes parallel to the direction the
fabric travels. You can put the top of a shirt in the machine,
move it a couple inches for every buttonhole, and when you reach
the bottom you're done. If you want the last button hole perpendicular,
you can turn the shirt for that one.

I get it. Thanks.

BTW, I only brought a few shirts on this trip but the two that have
the bottom hole sideways are Stafford Essentials, which appears to be
a JCPenny's brand. Penny's always sounds cheap, partly because it's
not called Nickel's, but they are niice shirts so far, look great
without ironing.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 14:57:35 -0500, Sam E
wrote:

On 04/22/2017 11:06 AM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

IIRC female shirts have buttons on the opposite side than a male
shirt.

The way I heard it, male shirts have the buttons where they're easier to
reach. Female shirts have buttons where they're easier for someone else

That sounds like a college story.

to reach. Seems that wouldn't make sense anymore, but people get

It was never the reason.

mentally stuck and assume the way it's been done is the best.

The way I heard it was that originally they were all like women's
clothes are now, but in order to make it easier for soldiers to open
their jacket and get out their sword, the buttons were reversed for
me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 14:51:48 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 04/22/2017 06:33 AM, Thomas wrote:
'Good' shirts have the horizontal hole.

That reminds me of the 'good' scissors my mother had when I was growing
up, where 'good' means you can't use them.

LOL

It turns out what is bad for scissors is cutting paper, of all things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 11:06 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 10:24:59 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/22/2017 06:33 AM, Thomas wrote:
'Good' shirts have the horizontal hole.

Guess I need to invest in better t-shirts

(...or "wife beater shirts") https://tinyurl.com/n4ezr45

IIRC female shirts have buttons on the opposite side than a male
shirt.

Fortunately my shirts do not do that

(at least not too much)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 02:51 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/22/2017 06:33 AM, Thomas wrote:
'Good' shirts have the horizontal hole.

That reminds me of the 'good' scissors my mother had when I was growing
up, where 'good' means you can't use them.

Yep.

When I was a kid a friend of mine's mother had a living room no one
could ever go into.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 12:06:54 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 10:24:59 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/22/2017 06:33 AM, Thomas wrote:
'Good' shirts have the horizontal hole.

Guess I need to invest in better t-shirts

(...or "wife beater shirts") https://tinyurl.com/n4ezr45

IIRC female shirts have buttons on the opposite side than a male
shirt.

Back in (very) old days, the servants of the royalty would button the dresses of their
female masters AKA mistresses. (No, not that kind!)

The opposite side buttons made it easier for the righted hand servants to button
the garments. The left handed servants were probably burnt as witches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 9:06:01 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 04/22/2017 02:51 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/22/2017 06:33 AM, Thomas wrote:
'Good' shirts have the horizontal hole.

That reminds me of the 'good' scissors my mother had when I was growing
up, where 'good' means you can't use them.

Yep.

When I was a kid a friend of mine's mother had a living room no one
could ever go into.

Was there a plastic slipcover on the sofa?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 1:19:28 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are
oriented vertically except for the bottom one, which is
horizontal?

It's easier to do it that way in the machine that makes them.

Cindy Hamilton

You've lost me. It's easier to do the vertically, horizontally, or
to change for the last one?

Sewing machines make button holes parallel to the direction the
fabric travels. You can put the top of a shirt in the machine,
move it a couple inches for every buttonhole, and when you reach
the bottom you're done. If you want the last button hole
perpendicular, you can turn the shirt for that one.

Cindy Hamilton

Does not explain why they do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 08:05 PM, philo wrote:

[snip]

When I was a kid a friend of mine's mother had a living room no one
could ever go into.

And theres the "good" towels my grandparents never used. They just used
cheap thin ones that came free in detergent boxes.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions,
a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a
personal God." -- Albert Einstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2017 10:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

The opposite side buttons made it easier for the righted hand servants to button
the garments. The left handed servants were probably burnt as witches.

"sinister" is an old word for left.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions,
a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a
personal God." -- Albert Einstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 14:30:58 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

When I was a kid a friend of mine's mother had a living room no one
could ever go into.

And theres the "good" towels my grandparents never used. They just used
cheap thin ones that came free in detergent boxes.

....and got a free toaster from the local bank. I used to have a free
Robert E. Lee bank as a kid to save my coins in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 11:06:54 AM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 10:24:59 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/22/2017 06:33 AM, Thomas wrote:
'Good' shirts have the horizontal hole.

Guess I need to invest in better t-shirts

(...or "wife beater shirts") https://tinyurl.com/n4ezr45

IIRC female shirts have buttons on the opposite side than a male
shirt.

From what I've read it's because the wealthy women of the past had servant girls to dress them and it was easier for the servant to button the female master's clothing with the buttons on the left. Of course there are lots of theories. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...uttons/388844/

http://tinyurl.com/jaol382

[8~{} Uncle Buttoned-up Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 12:19:28 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
OT? How come on a lot of men's shuirts, the button holes are oriented
vertically except for the bottom one, which is horizontal?

I only wear T-shirts and an occasional golf shirt which has only a few buttons down the front. Arthritis makes buttons difficult objects to deal with. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Clawed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 15:33:56 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 11:06:54 AM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 10:24:59 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/22/2017 06:33 AM, Thomas wrote:
'Good' shirts have the horizontal hole.

Guess I need to invest in better t-shirts

(...or "wife beater shirts") https://tinyurl.com/n4ezr45

IIRC female shirts have buttons on the opposite side than a male
shirt.

From what I've read it's because the wealthy women of the past had servant girls to dress them and it was easier for the servant to button the female master's clothing with the buttons on the left. Of course there are lots of theories. ?(?)?

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...uttons/388844/

http://tinyurl.com/jaol382

[8~{} Uncle Buttoned-up Monster

My bride gave me a really nice shirt once. Buttons on the left, it was
to awkward to button so I gave it back. I don't change habits easily.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/23/2017 02:42 PM, RonNNN wrote:

[snip]

And theres the "good" towels my grandparents never used. They just used
cheap thin ones that came free in detergent boxes.

And don't forget the dishes! Fine china is for looking at, not eating
from.

I remember that now. My parents had a lot of that. There was even some
that was unsafe for food use.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions,
a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a
personal God." -- Albert Einstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/23/2017 02:54 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

...and got a free toaster from the local bank. I used to have a free
Robert E. Lee bank as a kid to save my coins in.

When I was in third grade, I had a "dime kitty" from a bank. This was a
card with 30 dime-size slots, each with a drawing of a cat (slightly
more complete than the previous one). There were also the words "Feed me
dimes. Watch me grow." Apparently, you could open a bank account for $3
in 1968.

For some reason, thinking about that reminded me of the sheets of stamps
in the ads for record "clubs". Of course they weren't postage stamps,
but pictures of record albums.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions,
a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a
personal God." -- Albert Einstein

Button Cell #303 & #357 J.B. Wood[_2_] Electronics Repair 3 April 27th 17 12:02 AM
What is this button on this key for? (OT) IGot2P Home Repair 15 June 21st 12 03:17 PM
x10 big red button doorbell Tony Miklos[_2_] Home Repair 5 April 3rd 11 07:04 PM
Air button flush Tim W UK diy 14 January 18th 11 05:53 PM
Drilling 21/32" holes in blown-out 5/8-11 holes Tom Gardner Metalworking 10 November 29th 04 08:37 AM