Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Button Cell #303 & #357

Hello, all. These days the subject cells from various manufacturers are
sold as one type, silver oxide 357/303. Seems like they must have been
distinct types at one time and if so, how did they differ? Couldn't
seem to find anything historically on line. Thanks for your time and
comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/21/2017 9:50 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, all. These days the subject cells from various manufacturers are
sold as one type, silver oxide 357/303. Seems like they must have been
distinct types at one time and if so, how did they differ? Couldn't
seem to find anything historically on line. Thanks for your time and
comment. Sincerely,

My ancient ca. 1985 Panasonic battery manual says the 357 is for High
Drain (180 mAh) and the 303 for Low drain 170 mAh uses. The 303 is 0.2
mm taller than the 327 5.60mm vs. 5.40mm

Why is the low drain taller than the high drain? I've no idea.

Further complicating things is that Panasonic lists the National SR44W
as equivalent to the SP357; the National SR47SW as the equal of the
SP303 Panasonic says the W suffix is for high drain use - LCD &
multi-function analog watches. SW suffix for low drain single-function
analog watches. But Panasonic doesn't label any of its silver-oxide
batteries with W or SW. The suffixes, Panasonic says, indicate
different types of caustic potash electrolyte. Presumably, I guess,
Panasonic uses these 2 different electrolytes but doesn't add W or SW to
its labels.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 04/21/2017 06:22 PM, Bennett wrote:

My ancient ca. 1985 Panasonic battery manual says the 357 is for High
Drain (180 mAh) and the 303 for Low drain 170 mAh uses. The 303 is 0.2
mm taller than the 327 5.60mm vs. 5.40mm

Why is the low drain taller than the high drain? I've no idea.

Further complicating things is that Panasonic lists the National SR44W
as equivalent to the SP357; the National SR47SW as the equal of the
SP303 Panasonic says the W suffix is for high drain use - LCD &
multi-function analog watches. SW suffix for low drain single-function
analog watches. But Panasonic doesn't label any of its silver-oxide
batteries with W or SW. The suffixes, Panasonic says, indicate
different types of caustic potash electrolyte. Presumably, I guess,
Panasonic uses these 2 different electrolytes but doesn't add W or SW to
its labels.

Hello, and thanks much for responding. Does your spec sheet indicate
that the chemistry of the #303 is silver oxide or something else?
Thanks for your time. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: