Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bennett[_2_] Bennett[_2_] is offline

Default Button Cell #303 & #357

On 4/25/2017 4:04 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
On 04/21/2017 06:22 PM, Bennett wrote:

My ancient ca. 1985 Panasonic battery manual says the 357 is for High
Drain (180 mAh) and the 303 for Low drain 170 mAh uses. The 303 is
0.2 mm taller than the 327 5.60mm vs. 5.40mm

Why is the low drain taller than the high drain? I've no idea.

Further complicating things is that Panasonic lists the National SR44W
as equivalent to the SP357; the National SR47SW as the equal of the
SP303 Panasonic says the W suffix is for high drain use - LCD &
multi-function analog watches. SW suffix for low drain
single-function analog watches. But Panasonic doesn't label any of
its silver-oxide batteries with W or SW. The suffixes, Panasonic
says, indicate different types of caustic potash electrolyte.
Presumably, I guess, Panasonic uses these 2 different electrolytes but
doesn't add W or SW to its labels.

Hello, and thanks much for responding. Does your spec sheet indicate
that the chemistry of the #303 is silver oxide or something else? Thanks
for your time. Sincerely,

Silver oxide