Posted to alt.home.repair

Default x10 big red button doorbell

On Apr 3, 12:08*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
Does anyone have one (or two) of these?

http://www.x10.com/promotions/kr15a_bigred.html

It appears it was first made as just an emergency button for indoor use,
does the "big red button" hold up outside?

What I want to do is to set up two units on the same frequency so
ringing the doorbell at the house or the shop rings at both the house
and the shop. *Range should be OK since it comes with a transceiver....
but will the transceiver work with the signal going out of my house
panel to the drop then to the drop and panel in the garage? *Both drops
are on the same transformer secondary.

Thought I'd ask before they are open tomorrow.

My neighbor and I both had some X10 gadgets and we were interfereing
with each other. My garage door opener would turn on X10 , Pupose was
to turn on lights in the house when you got home. Well it turned his
on too. I was getting home at 2:30 AM so you can imagine how much he
enjoyed this when his living room lamps came on.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 3, 12:08 pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
Does anyone have one (or two) of these?

http://www.x10.com/promotions/kr15a_bigred.html

It appears it was first made as just an emergency button for indoor
use, does the "big red button" hold up outside?

What I want to do is to set up two units on the same frequency so
ringing the doorbell at the house or the shop rings at both the house
and the shop. Range should be OK since it comes with a
transceiver.... but will the transceiver work with the signal going
out of my house panel to the drop then to the drop and panel in the
garage? Both drops are on the same transformer secondary.

Thought I'd ask before they are open tomorrow.

X10 powerline signals pass easily from my house to my shop, which are on
different drops from the same transformer.

My neighbor and I both had some X10 gadgets and we were interfereing
with each other. My garage door opener would turn on X10 , Pupose was
to turn on lights in the house when you got home. Well it turned his
on too. I was getting home at 2:30 AM so you can imagine how much he
enjoyed this when his living room lamps came on.

That's what "house codes" are for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2011 10:40 AM, JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 3, 12:08 pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

I wonder if I could get one that would work on my neighbor's stereo?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote in news:8vrgr7FgbfU1
@mid.individual.net:

Does anyone have one (or two) of these?

http://www.x10.com/promotions/kr15a_bigred.html

It appears it was first made as just an emergency button for indoor use,
does the "big red button" hold up outside?

What I want to do is to set up two units on the same frequency so
ringing the doorbell at the house or the shop rings at both the house
and the shop. Range should be OK since it comes with a transceiver....
but will the transceiver work with the signal going out of my house
panel to the drop then to the drop and panel in the garage? Both drops
are on the same transformer secondary.

Thought I'd ask before they are open tomorrow.

Garbage can lid, can of econo red spray paint & duct tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2011 12:10 PM, Bob F wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 3, 12:08 pm, Tony wrote:
Does anyone have one (or two) of these?

http://www.x10.com/promotions/kr15a_bigred.html

It appears it was first made as just an emergency button for indoor
use, does the "big red button" hold up outside?

What I want to do is to set up two units on the same frequency so
ringing the doorbell at the house or the shop rings at both the house
and the shop. Range should be OK since it comes with a
transceiver.... but will the transceiver work with the signal going
out of my house panel to the drop then to the drop and panel in the
garage? Both drops are on the same transformer secondary.

Thought I'd ask before they are open tomorrow.

X10 powerline signals pass easily from my house to my shop, which are on
different drops from the same transformer.

Thanks! That's good to know. Sort of doubtful if customer service
could have answered that. Todays technology allows my meter to be read
from the power companies office, all through their miles of lines and
numerous transformers.

My neighbor and I both had some X10 gadgets and we were interfereing
with each other. My garage door opener would turn on X10 , Pupose was
to turn on lights in the house when you got home. Well it turned his
on too. I was getting home at 2:30 AM so you can imagine how much he
enjoyed this when his living room lamps came on.

Ever randomly try your garage door opener on other doors? Way back a
bored customer in my driveway waiting for me to show up hit his door
opener and my neighbors garage door opened showing his Porsche 911. He
closed it again but then the neighbor came out to see what was going on,
just gave him dirty stares. LOL.

Now the closest house to me is about 600 to 800 feet away so even if we
use the same code I doubt it would work. Oh, and our power lines come
from two different directions, about a mile of wire, and of course
different transformers.

That's what "house codes" are for.

That's what gave me the idea to use two of the same, one in the house
and one in the garage. Either doorbell button will ring both. Where my
mom lives it seems a lot of people bought the same wireless doorbells,
and left the factory codes..... I fixed it up for mom and the close
neighbors.

doorbell Eric Home Repair 9 October 17th 06 04:05 AM
Doorbell button spark Kroma Electronics Repair 13 September 29th 05 04:51 PM
Multiple chimes on a single doorbell button DL Home Repair 14 May 24th 05 04:36 PM
i want a doorbell that.... xrongor Home Repair 9 February 1st 05 02:12 AM
Outside doorbell Martin Pentreath UK diy 11 November 5th 04 01:02 AM