Old May 23rd 05, 03:20 AM
DL

Default Multiple chimes on a single doorbell button

We would like to have several (3-4) chimes activated from a single doorbell
button. What would the best way to do this.

The searches I have done talk about a more powerful transformer, but no
specific wiring instructions.

Old May 23rd 05, 03:29 AM
RBM

Aside from needing a transformer powerful enough for the additional chimes,
you need to run wires in parallel to each chime. Essentially in the existing
chime you have three terminals - Front-Trans- Rear, you need to run wires
from each of those terminals to the matching terminals on your additional
chimes
news:[email protected]..

Old May 23rd 05, 03:36 AM
Tony Hwang

DL wrote:

We would like to have several (3-4) chimes activated from a single doorbell
button. What would the best way to do this.

The searches I have done talk about a more powerful transformer, but no
specific wiring instructions.

Hi,
Just parallel wire the chimes with heavier tranny. With enough juice all
of them will chime when button is pushed.
Tony
Old May 23rd 05, 12:59 PM
Joseph Meehan

DL wrote:
We would like to have several (3-4) chimes activated from a single
doorbell button. What would the best way to do this.

The searches I have done talk about a more powerful transformer, but
no specific wiring instructions.

Do you mean you want to have several locations inside you home that
chime when the existing door bell is pressed, or do you want to have several
buttons at the door that can ring different chimes?

Assuming you want to ring several chimes from one button there are two
approaches. One is to provide several conventional chimes where you want
them and then using a transformer rated high enough to meet the power
requirements for all the chimes added together and you will need some
heavier wires (or a relay) to the switch. This is likely to be the most
trouble free system, although you may find your self replacing that button a
little more often than normal.

The other solution is high tech. The new wireless or X-10 systems will
allow you a lot more flexibility but more complexity. Try :

http://www.smarthome.com/index.html

for one source. Many of the same products will be available locally.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 23rd 05, 01:50 PM
Travis Jordan

DL wrote:
We would like to have several (3-4) chimes activated from a single
doorbell button. What would the best way to do this.

Do you have an intercom system? If so, an electronic chime can be
connected to sound through some or all of the speakers. If you have a
Nutone system they even make a module for this.

http://www.digitallyunique.com/ia29.html

Old May 23rd 05, 02:00 PM
Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
DL wrote:
We would like to have several (3-4) chimes activated from a single
doorbell button. What would the best way to do this.

Do you have an intercom system? If so, an electronic chime can be
connected to sound through some or all of the speakers. If you have a
Nutone system they even make a module for this.

http://www.digitallyunique.com/ia29.html

Another option is to use a high-quality wireless system such as those
made by Optex.

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByMa...ex/Item/RC-10/

Old May 23rd 05, 03:59 PM
DL

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Aside from needing a transformer powerful enough for the additional
chimes, you need to run wires in parallel to each chime. Essentially in
the existing chime you have three terminals - Front-Trans- Rear, you need
to run wires from each of those terminals to the matching terminals on
your additional chimes
"DL" wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
We would like to have several (3-4) chimes activated from a single
doorbell button. What would the best way to do this.

The searches I have done talk about a more powerful transformer, but no
specific wiring instructions.

RBM,

Thanks for the information, I will give that a try. I had tried something
close to this, but it didn't work.

As for the power of the transformer, what I see at the HD is that most all
run ate 16V and one has a tri-volt 8-16-24V. The two 16V units come in 10W
or 15W respectively. Not sure about the watts on the tri-volt unit, as I
could not find any information on the packaging. Do I want more volts or
watts? My assumption is that the units work on a given voltage, and the
watts will give me the additional power I need.

Another thought I had was to use multiple transformers and split the wire
coming from the doorbell to two+ separate transformers that will in turn go
to their respective chimes.

Thanks,

David

Old May 23rd 05, 04:01 PM
DL

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
DL wrote:

We would like to have several (3-4) chimes activated from a single
doorbell button. What would the best way to do this.

The searches I have done talk about a more powerful transformer, but no
specific wiring instructions.

Hi,
Just parallel wire the chimes with heavier tranny. With enough juice all
of them will chime when button is pushed.
Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the information,

As I stated to RBM, in relation to the transformer, what I see at the HD is
that most all run ate 16V and one has a tri-volt 8-16-24V. The two 16V
units come in 10W or 15W respectively. Not sure about the watts on the
tri-volt unit, as I could not find any information on the packaging. Do I
want more volts or watts? My assumption is that the units work on a given
voltage, and the watts will give me the additional power I need.

Again from my response to RBM, another thought I had was to use multiple

Old May 23rd 05, 04:06 PM
DL

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
DL wrote:
[...]

Joseph,

I want to be able to have one button ring multiple chimes, one in the foyer,
one in the basement family room, one in my workshop, one at the back of the
house in our kitchen area.

I hadn't thought about the X-10 option, so I will look into that. Had
considered it for video though.

I will try the parallel wiring the other posters suggested first, and then
look into an X-10 solution.

Thanks,

David

Old May 23rd 05, 04:07 PM
DL

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
m...
DL wrote:
We would like to have several (3-4) chimes activated from a single
doorbell button. What would the best way to do this.

Do you have an intercom system? If so, an electronic chime can be
connected to sound through some or all of the speakers. If you have a
Nutone system they even make a module for this.

http://www.digitallyunique.com/ia29.html

Travis,

Unfortunately no intercom system, but that is a neat idea.

Thanks,

David