Martin Pentreath

Default Outside doorbell

I'm trying to find a doorbell which would be suitable to mount on the
outside wall in my back garden so that visitors don't get ignored
because we can't hear them ringing. I know there are cordless bells
available, but (call me old-fashioned) I prefer the idea of a proper
bell, permanently hardwired to the existing bellpush and transformer
rather than some plastic bleepy thing that I have to remember to take
out into the garden with me each time. I can mount the bell in a
reasonably sheltered location under the eaves, but I think an ordinary
indoor underdome bell would probably sieze up after a couple of years
of being out in the British winter (such as
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VE792.html ).

So does anyone know where I can get an exterior grade doorbell?

Many thanks,

Martin
Richard Sterry

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
om...

So does anyone know where I can get an exterior grade doorbell?

Oh, your neighbours are just going to love you! ;-)

Rick

zaax

In article , Richard Sterry
writes
"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
. com...

So does anyone know where I can get an exterior grade doorbell?

Oh, your neighbours are just going to love you! ;-)

Put the boor bell just inside the back door.
--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com
Owain

"Martin Pentreath" wrote
| I can mount the bell in a reasonably sheltered location
| under the eaves, but I think an ordinary indoor underdome
| bell would probably sieze up after a couple of years
| of being out in the British winter (such as
| http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VE792.html ).
| So does anyone know where I can get an exterior grade doorbell?

The main problem is the vibrator contact. If you use an AC only bell off a
transformer you can use a bell without a vibrator.

This looks like an 8-12V AC only bell
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6335846253

Alternatively an electrical wholesaler should be able to order you an
http://www.friedland.co.uk/PDF/produ...land_14-15.pdf
E2622/1 Mini Horn

Owain

G&M

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
om...
I'm trying to find a doorbell which would be suitable to mount on the
outside wall in my back garden so that visitors don't get ignored
because we can't hear them ringing. I know there are cordless bells
available, but (call me old-fashioned) I prefer the idea of a proper
bell, permanently hardwired to the existing bellpush and transformer
rather than some plastic bleepy thing that I have to remember to take
out into the garden with me each time.

No point. The range of these things is often so poor it won't beep anyway
in the back garden.

Mary Fisher

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
om...
I'm trying to find a doorbell which would be suitable to mount on the
outside wall in my back garden so that visitors don't get ignored
because we can't hear them ringing. I know there are cordless bells
available, but (call me old-fashioned) I prefer the idea of a proper
bell, permanently hardwired to the existing bellpush and transformer
rather than some plastic bleepy thing that I have to remember to take
out into the garden with me each time. I can mount the bell in a
reasonably sheltered location under the eaves, but I think an ordinary
indoor underdome bell would probably sieze up after a couple of years
of being out in the British winter (such as
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VE792.html ).

So does anyone know where I can get an exterior grade doorbell?

No, and I'm not being flippant but when I've needed to be contacted when in
the garden I left a note saying, "Please shout loudly".

It always worked. So much so that people do it without being invited now ...

Mary.

Many thanks,

Martin

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Martin Pentreath wrote:
I can mount the bell in a
reasonably sheltered location under the eaves, but I think an ordinary
indoor underdome bell would probably sieze up after a couple of years
of being out in the British winter (such as
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VE792.html ).

So does anyone know where I can get an exterior grade doorbell?

Put it inside a suitable weatherproof box. This will also cut down the
noise somewhat. ;-)

--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Martin Pentreath

I don't want to disturb the neighbours! I plan to include a switch so that
the the outside bell can be turned off when not in use. (And anyway, I'm
hardly Mr Popular so the thing won't exactly be ringing off its mountings).

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:
Put it inside a suitable weatherproof box. This will also cut down the
noise somewhat. ;-)

I like this idea. So the next question is where do I get a waterproof box?
;-) Maybe one of these:
Or does anyone have a better idea.

Or maybe I could use one of these without a waterproof box:
At least the buzzer looks fairly watertight.

nightjar

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
om...
I'm trying to find a doorbell which would be suitable to mount on the
outside wall in my back garden so that visitors don't get ignored
because we can't hear them ringing. I know there are cordless bells
available, but (call me old-fashioned) I prefer the idea of a proper
bell, permanently hardwired to the existing bellpush and transformer
rather than some plastic bleepy thing that I have to remember to take
out into the garden with me each time. I can mount the bell in a
reasonably sheltered location under the eaves, but I think an ordinary
indoor underdome bell would probably sieze up after a couple of years
of being out in the British winter (such as
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VE792.html ).

So does anyone know where I can get an exterior grade doorbell?

A ships bell, brass with a clapper worked by a hanging cord, will probably
outlast you

Colin Bignell

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
nightjar wrote:
So does anyone know where I can get an exterior grade doorbell?

A ships bell, brass with a clapper worked by a hanging cord, will
probably outlast you

Be an interesting set of pulleys to have that in the back garden...

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
nightjar

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
nightjar wrote:
So does anyone know where I can get an exterior grade doorbell?

A ships bell, brass with a clapper worked by a hanging cord, will
probably outlast you

Be an interesting set of pulleys to have that in the back garden...

No need with a decent ships' bell. The sound carries far enough to annoy
neighbours in a wide area.

Colin Bignell