Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air button flush

ISTR about five years ago when I bought a concealed cistern they all had air
button flushers. I am pretty sure I replaced this one (just the button, not
the cistern or flush mechanism) after a couple of years when it stopped
working and now it is bust again. Are they always such rubbish? What do I do
now? I wouldn't mind fixing it so it doesn't need attention again.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/7/2011 11:02 AM, Tim W wrote:
ISTR about five years ago when I bought a concealed cistern they all had air
button flushers. I am pretty sure I replaced this one (just the button, not
the cistern or flush mechanism) after a couple of years when it stopped
working and now it is bust again. Are they always such rubbish? What do I do
now? I wouldn't mind fixing it so it doesn't need attention again.

Tim W

I've had mine approx 5yrs and it's never given me any trouble, I assume
it's a plastic bellows type pump and probably a plastic bellows type
flush valve opener at the other end of the tube. I've not investigated
it. I 've always pushed the button gently so as not to put too much
pressure on the bellows, and advised other members of family to do
likewise. Similarly with taps only close them enough to stop water
flowing, and not screw them down hard.
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 11:02*am, "Tim W" wrote:
ISTR about five years ago when I bought a concealed cistern they all had air
button flushers. I am pretty sure I replaced this one (just the button, not
the cistern or flush mechanism) after a couple of years when it stopped
working and now it is bust again. Are they always such rubbish? What do I do
now? I wouldn't mind fixing it so it doesn't need attention again.

Tim W

Local bar had a brand new toilet block built with 7 stalls in the
ladies, 2 in the gents - all boxed in cisterns with these
abominations. One has failed already - a drunk in the ladies somehow
prised the buttons out of the push.

Trying to track down a resonably priced replacement supplier is
proving difficult.

They appear to be made by Grohe (?) and cost around £25 each. I see
trouble ahead :-(

Dave TMH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 11:02 am, "Tim wrote:
ISTR about five years ago when I bought a concealed cistern they all had air
button flushers. I am pretty sure I replaced this one (just the button, not
the cistern or flush mechanism) after a couple of years when it stopped
working and now it is bust again. Are they always such rubbish? What do I do
now? I wouldn't mind fixing it so it doesn't need attention again.

Tim W

Local bar had a brand new toilet block built with 7 stalls in the
ladies, 2 in the gents - all boxed in cisterns with these
abominations. One has failed already - a drunk in the ladies somehow
prised the buttons out of the push.

Trying to track down a resonably priced replacement supplier is
proving difficult.

They appear to be made by Grohe (?) and cost around £25 each. I see
trouble ahead :-(

Dave TMH

The air pipe connections seemed to be a good fit on ours but in
desperation I cut a small amount off the pipe. It has now been happily
working for about 2 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman writes:
On Jan 7, 11:02*am, "Tim W" wrote:
ISTR about five years ago when I bought a concealed cistern they all had air
button flushers. I am pretty sure I replaced this one (just the button, not
the cistern or flush mechanism) after a couple of years when it stopped
working and now it is bust again. Are they always such rubbish? What do I do
now? I wouldn't mind fixing it so it doesn't need attention again.

Tim W

Local bar had a brand new toilet block built with 7 stalls in the
ladies, 2 in the gents - all boxed in cisterns with these
abominations. One has failed already - a drunk in the ladies somehow
prised the buttons out of the push.
Trying to track down a resonably priced replacement supplier is
proving difficult.
They appear to be made by Grohe (?) and cost around £25 each. I see
trouble ahead :-(

I went to diagnose one of these that stopped working in a house
rented out by a friend. This was after a plumber came out and
failed to fix it (apparently it worked just once after he left).
He had added some packing to the bellows in the cistern, but had
failed to correctly diagnose the fault which was the bellows in
the push button was split.

I couldn't fix it (Sunday evening), but took the bellows out
and left them with the owner to go and get a replacement, and
fortunately he knew where the rather non-standard loo came from.
He had to buy a complete remote flush kit (push button, hose,
and both bellows), although the bloke at the wholesaler said it's
only ever the bush-button bellows that fails. I don't know what
it cost.

I wonder if air switch components would work with remote flushes?
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/re...Ntt=air+switch
I much prefer the idea of a foot operated flush anyway, if you're
going to the effort of doing remote flush.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 8, 1:22*pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

I wonder if air switch components would work with remote flushes?http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/re...=gensearch_003...
I much prefer the idea of a foot operated flush anyway, if you're
going to the effort of doing remote flush.

Surely that's the job they're designed for, according to CPC?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...atchallpartial

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article
,

.... the bellows in
the push button was split.

Exactly

I couldn't fix it ...
He had to buy a complete remote flush kit ....

Exactly

I wonder if air switch components would work with remote flushes?
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/re...Ntt=air+switch
I much prefer the idea of a foot operated flush anyway, if you're
going to the effort of doing remote flush.

That's the one! Sixth item down the Herga 6442
http://www.herga.com/air_switches/?id=63
the part number is embossed on the one I took out. Considerably less than
the £25 from Grohe although still annoying when just the rubber bellows is
split.

Thanks mate.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On Jan 7, 11:02 am, "Tim W" wrote:
[...]

That's what I have found, or £85 for an all metal shiny one LOL.

Presumably I can replace the insides of the cistern and fit a cable flush or
something?
Does anyone know?

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/8/2011 2:12 PM, Tim W wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
On Jan 7, 11:02 am, "Tim wrote:

[...]

See http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/stuff/crapstuff/toilets.html
lol
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/8/2011 2:12 PM, Tim W wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
On Jan 7, 11:02 am, "Tim wrote:

[...]

I wonder how many of these you have to buy for a minimum order? might be
worth it for a plumber and advertise on ebay.
http://www.tradeeasy.com/supplier/36...ueakers-3.html
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 8, 11:05*am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On Jan 7, 11:02*am, "Tim W" wrote:

[...]

Grohe is a german firm. Rip the stupid thing out and get a
conventional syphon and lever.

Sticking flush button on dual flush toilet Keefiedee UK diy 4 November 24th 10 06:23 PM
Push button flush problem Mike UK diy 15 June 22nd 10 12:58 AM
Wirquin dual-flush button Bob UK diy 3 July 3rd 05 09:38 PM
Push button flush on toilet cistern? phil UK diy 6 May 6th 04 05:00 PM