phil

Default Push button flush on toilet cistern?

Are push button flushes on toilet cisterns generally any good, or is
it best to stick to the standard handle?

B&Q (at www.diy.co.uk) have one but I'm wondering if there would be
any issues fitting it to a relatively new cistern.

Ta,
Phil

mike ring

(phil) wrote in news:409922cf.28244473
@news.individual.net:

Are push button flushes on toilet cisterns generally any good, or is
it best to stick to the standard handle?

B&Q (at
www.diy.co.uk) have one but I'm wondering if there would be
any issues fitting it to a relatively new cistern.

Ta,
Phil

If you mean the flap valve type.....

First, you will need to remove the cistern to exchange the syphon for the
new flush.

Not particularly difficult; but I _needed_ to do something to trigger the
change.

It seems to flush better. But I'm a bit worried about the system - in the
commissioning, ths flap valve stuck open once or twice. It was easlily
adjusted, but as I'm on a meter I sometimes wake in a cold sweat thinking
about it!

If you want to change, think about the inlet side as well - I use a
fluidmaster (I theenk... it's been some time) and like it, but there are
apparently better ones, with a bit of luck about which out you will soon
find; (we're a bit pedantic about our granma these days)

mike
Capitol

mike ring wrote in message ...

If you mean the flap valve type.....
It seems to flush better. But I'm a bit worried about the system - in the
commissioning, ths flap valve stuck open once or twice. It was easlily
adjusted, but as I'm on a meter I sometimes wake in a cold sweat thinking
about it!

Hmm. Interesting. My experience with the US version of these has been that
the life span of a properly sealing flap valve is relatively short. 1-2
years. FWIW.

Regards
Capitol

Mark S.

On Wed, 05 May 2004 17:26:27 GMT, (phil) wrote:

Are push button flushes on toilet cisterns generally any good, or is
it best to stick to the standard handle?

B&Q (at
www.diy.co.uk) have one but I'm wondering if there would be
any issues fitting it to a relatively new cistern.

Ta,
Phil

Managed to arse up cutting the threaded stick off after not reading
the instructions properly, ended up araditing three bits back on, been
using it for a few months now without any problems at all.

Mark S.

T i m

On Wed, 05 May 2004 17:26:27 GMT, (phil) wrote:

Are push button flushes on toilet cisterns generally any good, or is
it best to stick to the standard handle?

B&Q (at
www.diy.co.uk) have one but I'm wondering if there would be
any issues fitting it to a relatively new cistern.

I got a call from a family friend the other day saying the toilet was
leaking. I poped round there and found the cistern mech wasn't screwed
down tight into the ceramic cistern. I turned the water off, flushed
the cistern, bailed out what was left and removed the plastic cistern
mech?

The reasons it was leaking (apart from not being tightned down fully)
we

The hole in the ceramic cistern was quite a bit bigger than the
plastic thread (probably 3mm all round), alowing the fitting to move
off centre.

The rubber washer was quite narrow (not 'thin').

The flange over the washer had a 'flat' in the moulding leaving about
1/8" of flange at that point?

The local plumbers merchants took the old cistern out the back and
tried to find one with a wider flange / washer but said they couldn't
find one. I asked if thy had a Dual Flush one, he did and it had a
much wider flange and washer! (Doh!).

I took it back, fitted the washer and bound the fitting with slit down
PVA tape to make it fit (and stay) in the middle of the hole in the
bottom of the cistern and tightened the backnut etc. Filled tested, no
leaks ;-)

The Dual flush cistern I fitted in our place 15 years ago works:

Full flush: Push and hold
Half flush: Push and release.

This new one works the other way round.

Points.

Why do all these (mainly plumbing) items seem so poorly engineered
these days?

Is there a 'rule' these days re the working of Dual flush units (half
/ full, hold or not?).

All the best ..

T i m

Oh, and the handle was seized in the plastic bush .. now it's working
nicely .. ;-)

mike ring

"Capitol" wrote in
:

Hmm. Interesting. My experience with the US version of these has
been that the life span of a properly sealing flap valve is relatively
short. 1-2 years. FWIW.

Thanks,, that's cheered me up no end, I don't know when I'll get anothyer
night's sleep.

I also forgot to mention the possibility that the boss on the button
surround may be incompatible with Brit size cisterns; mine was, but I
bodged it e=reassonably easily

mike
phil

On Wed, 05 May 2004 21:17:35 +0100, T i m wrote:

Thanks for all the replies - think I'll give it a miss.

Phil

Anyone fitted fluid master push button toilet conversion kit Alan Campbell UK diy 13 April 1st 04 08:30 PM
High level cistern flush too powerful steve UK diy 3 February 28th 04 04:28 PM
Smaller push button Rod Hewitt UK diy 3 December 1st 03 10:28 PM
toilet Cistern leak Douglas Sey UK diy 4 October 13th 03 11:17 PM
Pneumatic push button cistern? Dave Farrell UK diy 14 October 7th 03 11:13 AM