Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Push button flush problem

Hi have a single button loo flush which was fitted in 2007. Recently
it has stopped working. On investigating, it appears that the plastic
tube that operates the flush is being forced out of its "socket" for
want of a better word inside the cistern area. It flushes if you hold
the tube in place in the socket, but not otherwise. I wonder why this
fault has suddenly developed, and is there any fix?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 June, 09:06, Mike wrote:
Hi have a single button loo flush which was fitted in 2007. Recently
it has stopped working. On investigating, it appears that the plastic
tube that operates the flush is being forced out of its "socket" for
want of a better word inside the cistern area. It flushes if you hold
the tube in place in the socket, but not otherwise. I wonder why this
fault has suddenly developed, and is there any fix?

glue? silicone?
does it get wet?

(pic might get better answers...)

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

glue? silicone?
does it get wet?

(pic might get better answers...)

Cheers
Jim K

It does seem to be close to the surface of the water. So I should try
lowering the water level?

Is there a water-resistant glue available?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2010 09:06, Mike wrote:
Hi have a single button loo flush which was fitted in 2007. Recently
it has stopped working. On investigating, it appears that the plastic
tube that operates the flush is being forced out of its "socket" for
want of a better word inside the cistern area. It flushes if you hold
the tube in place in the socket, but not otherwise. I wonder why this
fault has suddenly developed, and is there any fix?

Tube hardening or deformed at the end? Is there spare length to cut the
end off and use an uncrushed/un stretched bit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
Hi have a single button loo flush which was fitted in 2007. Recently
it has stopped working. On investigating, it appears that the plastic
tube that operates the flush is being forced out of its "socket" for
want of a better word inside the cistern area. It flushes if you hold
the tube in place in the socket, but not otherwise. I wonder why this
fault has suddenly developed, and is there any fix?

IME you are better off changing it. Plastics are notoriously difficult to
glue & the water won't help.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
Hi have a single button loo flush which was fitted in 2007. Recently
it has stopped working. On investigating, it appears that the plastic
tube that operates the flush is being forced out of its "socket" for
want of a better word inside the cistern area. It flushes if you hold
the tube in place in the socket, but not otherwise. I wonder why this
fault has suddenly developed, and is there any fix?

Had that problem with some fitted at church - replaces with cable
operated push buttons which are much more reliable

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2010 12:54, Malcolm wrote:
Mike wrote:
Hi have a single button loo flush which was fitted in 2007. Recently
it has stopped working. On investigating, it appears that the plastic
tube that operates the flush is being forced out of its "socket" for
want of a better word inside the cistern area. It flushes if you hold
the tube in place in the socket, but not otherwise. I wonder why this
fault has suddenly developed, and is there any fix?

Had that problem with some fitted at church - replaces with cable
operated push buttons which are much more reliable

Malcolm

Mine use a rubber tube - softer and less likely to get forced off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 June, 09:06, Mike wrote:
Hi have a single button loo flush which was fitted in 2007. Recently
it has stopped working. On investigating, it appears that the plastic
tube that operates the flush is being forced out of its "socket" for
want of a better word inside the cistern area. It flushes if you hold
the tube in place in the socket, but not otherwise. I wonder why this
fault has suddenly developed, and is there any fix?

Push buttons are all crap. Remove and fit a conventional lever and
syphon too. They're very cheap from "Screwfix" or similar.
(You'll probably find you have one of these "new idea" flush valves,
also crap)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Push buttons are all crap. *Remove and fit a conventional lever and
syphon too. *They're very cheap from "Screwfix" or similar.
(You'll probably find you have one of these "new idea" flush valves,
also crap)

But is there a Screwfix fitting that will go with the rest of my
system - I'm not talking decorative here, will it operate the flush
thingie I have ?
That's the question!
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 June, 18:23, Mike wrote:
Push buttons are all crap. *Remove and fit a conventional lever and
syphon too. *They're very cheap from "Screwfix" or similar.
(You'll probably find you have one of these "new idea" flush valves,
also crap)

But is there a Screwfix fitting that will go with the rest of my
system - I'm not talking decorative here, will it operate the flush
thingie I have ?
That's the question!
Mike

I dunno exactly which flush thingy you have.
But the conventional system (ie lever and syphon) can't be eaten and
its fail safe too if you have a water meter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On 20 June, 09:06, Mike wrote:
Hi have a single button loo flush which was fitted in 2007. Recently
it has stopped working. On investigating, it appears that the plastic
tube that operates the flush is being forced out of its "socket" for
want of a better word inside the cistern area. It flushes if you hold
the tube in place in the socket, but not otherwise. I wonder why this
fault has suddenly developed, and is there any fix?

Push buttons are all crap. Remove and fit a conventional lever and
syphon too. They're very cheap from "Screwfix" or similar.
(You'll probably find you have one of these "new idea" flush valves,
also crap)

Agree push buttons are crap. Trouble is, if the hole is in the cistern lid
you can't use a lever.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 June, 19:33, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
harry wrote:
On 20 June, 09:06, Mike wrote:
Hi have a single button loo flush which was fitted in 2007. Recently
it has stopped working. On investigating, it appears that the plastic
tube that operates the flush is being forced out of its "socket" for
want of a better word inside the cistern area. It flushes if you hold
the tube in place in the socket, but not otherwise. I wonder why this
fault has suddenly developed, and is there any fix?

Push buttons are all crap. *Remove and fit a conventional lever and
syphon too. *They're very cheap from "Screwfix" or similar.
(You'll probably find you have one of these "new idea" flush valves,
also crap)

Agree push buttons are crap. *Trouble is, if the hole is in the cistern lid
you can't use a lever.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Not all of them, some are in front in the traditional place. Anyway
one can drill one's own hole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Agree push buttons are crap. *Trouble is, if the hole is in the cistern lid
you can't use a lever.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Not all of them, some are in front in the traditional place. Anyway
one can drill one's own hole.

Yes mine is in the front, though the hole looks larger than might be
needed for a conventional lever.
Again, not sure a lever is going to operate my system (cistern).

Coming back to an earlier question which no one has answered, would
lowering the water level in the cistern help the situation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
Agree push buttons are crap. Trouble is, if the hole is in the
cistern lid you can't use a lever.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Not all of them, some are in front in the traditional place. Anyway
one can drill one's own hole.

Yes mine is in the front, though the hole looks larger than might be
needed for a conventional lever.
Again, not sure a lever is going to operate my system (cistern).

Coming back to an earlier question which no one has answered, would
lowering the water level in the cistern help the situation?

Can't see it would make any difference. A picky would help a lot.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
harry wrote:
On 20 June, 09:06, Mike wrote:
[...]

I would approach drilling a large hole in a ceramic cistern with some
trepidation. How would you do that?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk