Keiron Carroll

Default Push button toilet flush problem

I have one of the new type push button toilets I installed just last
year in the bathroom and have noticed in the last month or so that there
is a continuous trickle of water flowing from the rim into the bowl and
every now and then including throughout the night a subsequent top-up
sound heard. There seems very little in there to go wrong, is there a
diaphragm I wonder at the very seat of the central fixings which could
possibly be leaking?? I haven't a clue how this new type flush system
works and would appreciate any help from those more enlightened. It's a
two button arrangement and has a 'float' connected to these buttons
indirectly. I have to say it all looks very very flimsy. I'd also
appreciate any web site url's which show this kind of arrangement so I
can learn a bit more myself. Many thanks in advance.

Keiron Carroll

Broadback

Keiron Carroll wrote:
I have one of the new type push button toilets I installed just last
year in the bathroom and have noticed in the last month or so that there
is a continuous trickle of water flowing from the rim into the bowl and
every now and then including throughout the night a subsequent top-up
sound heard. There seems very little in there to go wrong, is there a
diaphragm I wonder at the very seat of the central fixings which could
possibly be leaking?? I haven't a clue how this new type flush system
works and would appreciate any help from those more enlightened. It's a
two button arrangement and has a 'float' connected to these buttons
indirectly. I have to say it all looks very very flimsy. I'd also
appreciate any web site url's which show this kind of arrangement so I
can learn a bit more myself. Many thanks in advance.

Keiron Carroll

I will be interested in the answer. I have one about 3 years old after
flushing fills up then overflows for about 15 seconds, not a problem
just a waste of water. I have taken it apart and can find no obvious
problem.
Mark S.

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 12:04:03 +0100, Keiron Carroll
wrote:

I have one of the new type push button toilets I installed just last
year in the bathroom and have noticed in the last month or so that there
is a continuous trickle of water flowing from the rim into the bowl and
every now and then including throughout the night a subsequent top-up
sound heard. There seems very little in there to go wrong, is there a
diaphragm I wonder at the very seat of the central fixings which could
possibly be leaking?? I haven't a clue how this new type flush system
works and would appreciate any help from those more enlightened. It's a
two button arrangement and has a 'float' connected to these buttons
indirectly. I have to say it all looks very very flimsy. I'd also
appreciate any web site url's which show this kind of arrangement so I
can learn a bit more myself. Many thanks in advance.

Keiron Carroll

Mine is a single button type but I was never happy with the float
arrangement due to the slim ciston not actually being big enough for
the float to float freely so it tends to stick against the mechanism
or wall.

The water comes from a plastic tube in the middle of the top bit,
imagine a Kerplunk type object sat in the top and that's it.
You push the button and it opens the bottom bit and the water flows
out so the seal could be leaking.

Mine's due to the internal overflow doing it's job when the float
sticks. Still beats it overflowing under the bath like it did before
I replaced the suite. ;-)

wrote:

I have one of the new type push button toilets I installed just last
year in the bathroom and have noticed in the last month or so that there
is a continuous trickle of water flowing from the rim into the bowl and
every now and then including throughout the night a subsequent top-up
sound heard. There seems very little in there to go wrong, is there a
diaphragm I wonder at the very seat of the central fixings which could
possibly be leaking?? I haven't a clue how this new type flush system
works and would appreciate any help from those more enlightened. It's a
two button arrangement and has a 'float' connected to these buttons
indirectly. I have to say it all looks very very flimsy. I'd also
appreciate any web site url's which show this kind of arrangement so I
can learn a bit more myself. Many thanks in advance.

The problem often arises from a build up of lime scale around the
discharge pipe from the systern into the toilet. The rubber seal can
no longer completely close off the pipe.

A few months ago, there was an inventor on television. He has
developed a device to solve this problem.

The device is mechanical. When you flush, the systern fills with
water. When the systern is full the water stops flowing and it trips
the device. The unit will not allow any more water to enter the
systern until the flush handle is depressed. This means that the
systern will not keep refilling in the middle of the night whilst
water is leaking out.

Surprise to say that the inventor said no one was interested in the
idea. The water companies wanted people to use more water so they
could charge them for it. The toilet manufacturers were not interested
as it would amount to an admission that their equipment would
eventually start to leak.

The inventor never indicated the likely cost of the unit if it went
into production. Presumably a repair of the current unit on several
occasions might work out cheaper in any case?

Graham

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiron Carroll

--

I am an amateur but have had experience of this recently. My understanding is that instead of a traditional overflow pipe which used to exit the cistern towards the top and go to either a soil pipe (or directly outside), the new flush valves have an internal overflow where water can trickle through the big hole in the middle top of the flush and into the pan.

The float valve - which does the same job as a ball valve can sometimes get stuck - especially if you have a slimline cistern. You need to move it up and down by hanbd and check that the wall of the cistern is not stopping its free movement. If it is free, you need to adjust this float valve so that it cuts the flow when the water level is around the 6L mark (It think this is a UK standard). Mine was fixed after much trial and error - but is fixed now because I have since fitted two more - and apart from all the instructions being in italian and looking like the illustrations had been drawn by a 4 year old they both failed.
I replaced them both with a Fluidmaster float valve - c. £10 from B&Q and have had 18 months free from any trouble. I was also advised that these are both low pressure and high pressure compatible, but mains pressure was preferable. I have no mains water freed to either, but they work a treat nevertheless.
John Stumbles

Keiron Carroll wrote:
I have one of the new type push button toilets I installed just last
year in the bathroom and have noticed in the last month or so that there
is a continuous trickle of water flowing from the rim into the bowl and
every now and then including throughout the night a subsequent top-up
sound heard. There seems very little in there to go wrong, is there a
diaphragm I wonder at the very seat of the central fixings which could
possibly be leaking?? I haven't a clue how this new type flush system
works and would appreciate any help from those more enlightened. It's a
two button arrangement and has a 'float' connected to these buttons
indirectly. I have to say it all looks very very flimsy. I'd also
appreciate any web site url's which show this kind of arrangement so I
can learn a bit more myself. Many thanks in advance.

Keiron Carroll

Is it a multikwick (blue and yellow IIRC)? Are you in a hard water area?
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...64423948ec9b10

(From your description it sounds more like a flap valve but the one I've
seen - can't remember the name off the top of my head - doesn't have a
two part button.)
Chris Bacon

John Stumbles wrote:

From your description it sounds more like a flap valve

These things are, as they say, pants. Water wasters.
John Stumbles

Chris Bacon wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:

From your description it sounds more like a flap valve

These things are, as they say, pants. Water wasters.

Not tried the fluidmasters or other flap valves. I agree drop/flap
valves have a failure mode in which they can let by whereas syphons'
only failure mode is simply not flushing, so in that respect they're A
Bad Thing (and presumably why they were resisted by the Powers That Be
until recently). It's a pity no-one makes conventional syphon valves
just a bit shorter than standard so they can be used to convert a
standard cistern to internal overflow.