On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 12:04:03 +0100, Keiron Carroll
wrote:

I have one of the new type push button toilets I installed just last
year in the bathroom and have noticed in the last month or so that there
is a continuous trickle of water flowing from the rim into the bowl and
every now and then including throughout the night a subsequent top-up
sound heard. There seems very little in there to go wrong, is there a
diaphragm I wonder at the very seat of the central fixings which could
possibly be leaking?? I haven't a clue how this new type flush system
works and would appreciate any help from those more enlightened. It's a
two button arrangement and has a 'float' connected to these buttons
indirectly. I have to say it all looks very very flimsy. I'd also
appreciate any web site url's which show this kind of arrangement so I
can learn a bit more myself. Many thanks in advance.

The problem often arises from a build up of lime scale around the
discharge pipe from the systern into the toilet. The rubber seal can
no longer completely close off the pipe.

A few months ago, there was an inventor on television. He has
developed a device to solve this problem.

The device is mechanical. When you flush, the systern fills with
water. When the systern is full the water stops flowing and it trips
the device. The unit will not allow any more water to enter the
systern until the flush handle is depressed. This means that the
systern will not keep refilling in the middle of the night whilst
water is leaking out.

Surprise to say that the inventor said no one was interested in the
idea. The water companies wanted people to use more water so they
could charge them for it. The toilet manufacturers were not interested
as it would amount to an admission that their equipment would
eventually start to leak.

The inventor never indicated the likely cost of the unit if it went
into production. Presumably a repair of the current unit on several
occasions might work out cheaper in any case?

Graham