Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to buy a non-condensing boiler?

Anyone still sell non-condensing boilers over in the USA, or anywhere else? The British companies are all stocking that condensing fragile ****e that wears out faster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone still sell non-condensing boilers over in the USA, or anywhere else? The British companies are all stocking that condensing fragile ****e that wears out faster.

Don't you silly Brits know how to google?

https://www.ecomfort.com/heating/wei...r-boilers.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 14:27:26 +0100, noname wrote:

Anyone still sell non-condensing boilers over in the USA, or anywhere else? The British companies are all stocking that condensing fragile ****e that wears out faster.

Don't you silly Brits know how to google?

https://www.ecomfort.com/heating/wei...r-boilers.html

I wanted a boiler, not a blast furnace. This size:
http://www.miltonkeynesheating.com/images/home1.jpg

--
My Wife was at the beauty shop for two hours. That was only for the estimate.
She got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 14:27:26 +0100, noname wrote:

Anyone still sell non-condensing boilers over in the USA, or anywhere else? The British companies are all stocking that condensing fragile ****e that wears out faster.

Don't you silly Brits know how to google?

https://www.ecomfort.com/heating/wei...r-boilers.html

I wanted a boiler, not a blast furnace. This size:
http://www.miltonkeynesheating.com/images/home1.jpg

You asked for a boiler, you silly brit. Learn to be more specific.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 17:22:06 +0100, Jackson Brown wrote:

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 14:27:26 +0100, noname wrote:

Anyone still sell non-condensing boilers over in the USA, or anywhere else? The British companies are all stocking that condensing fragile ****e that wears out faster.

Don't you silly Brits know how to google?

https://www.ecomfort.com/heating/wei...r-boilers.html

I wanted a boiler, not a blast furnace. This size:
http://www.miltonkeynesheating.com/images/home1.jpg

You asked for a boiler, you silly brit. Learn to be more specific.

And what I showed you is a boiler. I believe you yanks call them furnaces? The thing that heats the water for the radiators around your house (and also for hot taps in your sinks/baths).

--
President Bush is rehearsing his speech for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.
He begins with "Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Ooo!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 17:22:06 +0100, Jackson Brown wrote:

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 14:27:26 +0100, noname wrote:

Anyone still sell non-condensing boilers over in the USA, or
anywhere else? The British companies are all stocking that
condensing fragile ****e that wears out faster.

Don't you silly Brits know how to google?

https://www.ecomfort.com/heating/wei...r-boilers.html

I wanted a boiler, not a blast furnace. This size:
http://www.miltonkeynesheating.com/images/home1.jpg

You asked for a boiler, you silly brit. Learn to be more specific.

And what I showed you is a boiler. I believe you yanks call them
furnaces? The thing that heats the water for the radiators around your
house (and also for hot taps in your sinks/baths).

Only people ignorant of proper terminology call them furnaces. Boilers
heat water, furnaces heat air.

The Weil McLain shown are very typical of heating boilers in the US.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 19:34:00 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

A bit cumbersome. Ours tend to be about 16x13x26 inches, and are mounted on a wall, usually in the kitchen, sometimes hidden inside a cupboard. The flue goes straight through the outside wall, no need for a chimney.

--
I imposed a declaration in opposition to your motion to modify the preliminary injunction in support of the cross motion to vacate the preliminary injunction. So noted by the Federal Court of Justice proceeding preliminary declaration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 2:04:52 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 17:22:06 +0100, Jackson Brown wrote:

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 14:27:26 +0100, noname wrote:

Anyone still sell non-condensing boilers over in the USA, or anywhere else? The British companies are all stocking that condensing fragile ****e that wears out faster.

Don't you silly Brits know how to google?

https://www.ecomfort.com/heating/wei...r-boilers.html

I wanted a boiler, not a blast furnace. This size:
http://www.miltonkeynesheating.com/images/home1.jpg

You asked for a boiler, you silly brit. Learn to be more specific.

And what I showed you is a boiler. I believe you yanks call them furnaces? The thing that heats the water for the radiators around your house (and also for hot taps in your sinks/baths).

My house doesn't have radiators. Ductwork for the heated (in winter) or
cooled (in summer) air to circulate. It's extremely common hereabouts.

Hot water is provided by the water heater.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 22:16:28 +0100, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

I wonder why a lot of Americans went for air heating, while Brits went for water heating. Doesn't air make a noise? And a draught? Plus pipes are thinner than air ducts, so take up less space. I'm finding it hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

--
A woman walks into a drugstore and asks the pharmacist if he sells size extra large condoms.
He replies, "Yes we do. Would you like to buy some?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder why a lot of Americans went for air heating, while Brits went
for water heating. Doesn't air make a noise? And a draught? Plus
pipes are thinner than air ducts, so take up less space. I'm finding it
hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

The only time air heating is better is when coupled with cooling for the
summer. In a proper layout, each room has a lower outlet for heat and
upper outlet for cooling.

In theory, air should be better as you can condition the air as needed.
You can filter, heat, cool, humidify, dehumidify as needed. Few systems
are built proerly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 00:51:18 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder why a lot of Americans went for air heating, while Brits went
for water heating. Doesn't air make a noise? And a draught? Plus
pipes are thinner than air ducts, so take up less space. I'm finding it
hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

The only time air heating is better is when coupled with cooling for the
summer. In a proper layout, each room has a lower outlet for heat and
upper outlet for cooling.

Why would you need two outlets? Just blow hot or cold air through the same one, like in a car.

In theory, air should be better as you can condition the air as needed.
You can filter, heat, cool, humidify, dehumidify as needed. Few systems
are built proerly.

I wonder if you could cool a house much by running ice cold water round water filled radiators.

--
HELP WANTED:
Baiters. Local fishing boats need 4 baiters to bate hooks for tourists. Must have strong hands and work hard. Good pay-$15 per hour, and benefits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder why a lot of Americans went for air heating, while Brits went
for water heating. Doesn't air make a noise? And a draught? Plus
pipes are thinner than air ducts, so take up less space. I'm finding
it hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

easy upgrade path for central air conditioning

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 01:17:13 +0100, Jimbo wrote:

I wonder why a lot of Americans went for air heating, while Brits went
for water heating. Doesn't air make a noise? And a draught? Plus
pipes are thinner than air ducts, so take up less space. I'm finding
it hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

easy upgrade path for central air conditioning

You've got me thinking. I'm planning to fit air conditioning, but I need two outlets, as I want my bedroom cooler. You can get dual ones, with two "radiators" indoors, but they cost almost twice as much. I wonder if I could fit some ducting so it could optionally blow the air into another room? I'd probably encounter problems with the resistance of the duct slowing the air down.

--
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The only time air heating is better is when coupled with cooling for the
summer. In a proper layout, each room has a lower outlet for heat and
upper outlet for cooling.

Why would you need two outlets? Just blow hot or cold air through the
same one, like in a car.

In theory, air should be better as you can condition the air as needed.
You can filter, heat, cool, humidify, dehumidify as needed. Few systems
are built proerly.

I wonder if you could cool a house much by running ice cold water round
water filled radiators.

Most cars have heat outlets near the floor and vent/AC on the dash. Hot
air rises, cold air sinks, this the idea of upper and lower outlets.
Better air circulation.

Yes, if you have a chiller you can run cold water to cool a house. Many
commercial units work that way. The ones we built where I worked in the
69's were coils with a fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 5:37:51 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

A lot of older homes in the U.S. have boilers and radiators. Most of
our housing stock is post WWII. It takes considerably less skill to
install duct (you don't care if it leaks) than piping.

Doesn't air make a noise?

A white-noise whooshing. I've had forced-air heat all my life, so
I don't really notice it.

And a draught?

I consider that a feature. It moves my husband's farts around and
dissipates them.

Plus pipes are thinner than air ducts, so take up less space.

I have a single-story house. All of the ducts run through the basement,
up into the walls, where there's a grate just below knee level for the
air to come out. For two-story homes, the ducts are sized to fit between
the studs in interior walls.

I'm finding it hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

The big one for me is air-conditioning. It gets very hot and humid
in the summer, and I'm grateful to be able to keep the house at
20 C when the outdoors is more than 30 C.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 11:55:07 +0100, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Pipes don't need skill to install. Not since compression fittings were invented so you don't have to solder them. I've done plenty myself with no training (including a gas pipe!). And speedfit is even easier.

Doesn't air make a noise?

A white-noise whooshing. I've had forced-air heat all my life, so
I don't really notice it.

That's the sort of noise I hate. And silence is golden, especially when trying to get to sleep.

And a draught?

I consider that a feature. It moves my husband's farts around and
dissipates them.

Yuck!

That reminds me, my parents' house has a fireplace. It sucks air up the chimney, drawing it in through the bathroom window and through the lounge. Most unpleasant if someone's just gone to the toilet.

Plus pipes are thinner than air ducts, so take up less space.

I have a single-story house. All of the ducts run through the basement,
up into the walls, where there's a grate just below knee level for the
air to come out. For two-story homes, the ducts are sized to fit between
the studs in interior walls.

I've seen the odd house with vents in the floor. I assume it's a heating duct.

I'm finding it hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

The big one for me is air-conditioning. It gets very hot and humid
in the summer, and I'm grateful to be able to keep the house at
20 C when the outdoors is more than 30 C.

Don't most folk just have a seperate AC unit?

--
The best way to insulate your home is with a big pile of fridge-foam aerosol cans:
Just fill the entire house with foam and tunnel to the bits you need to get to, pack rat style.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 02:11:36 +0100, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The only time air heating is better is when coupled with cooling for the
summer. In a proper layout, each room has a lower outlet for heat and
upper outlet for cooling.

Why would you need two outlets? Just blow hot or cold air through the
same one, like in a car.

In theory, air should be better as you can condition the air as needed.
You can filter, heat, cool, humidify, dehumidify as needed. Few systems
are built proerly.

I wonder if you could cool a house much by running ice cold water round
water filled radiators.

Most cars have heat outlets near the floor and vent/AC on the dash. Hot
air rises, cold air sinks, this the idea of upper and lower outlets.
Better air circulation.

If it's being blown, height is irrelevant. The only reason for vents in different places it to demist the window or dry off your feet.

Yes, if you have a chiller you can run cold water to cool a house. Many
commercial units work that way. The ones we built where I worked in the
69's were coils with a fan.

I'm not sure how effective it would be just shoving cold water in a radiator. I guess it would mainly concern the temperature difference between the room and the water. If we take room temperature as 20C, and icy water as 0C, and hot radiator water as 70C, then you've got a 20C difference instead of a 50C difference, so 2/5ths as powerful.

--
I asked a Chinese girl for her number. She said, "Sex! Sex! Sex! Free sex tonight!" I said, "Wow!" Then her friend said, "She means 666-3629."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 12:16:55 +0100
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote:

Don't most folk just have a seperate AC unit?

You are the expert on all things, wearing a dress, you tell us?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 12:22:27 +0100
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote:

If it's being blown, height is irrelevant. The only reason for vents
in different places it to demist the window or dry off your feet.

LOL says the male(?) wearing a dress...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 12:42:00 +0100, burfordTjustice wrote:

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 12:16:55 +0100
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote:

Don't most folk just have a seperate AC unit?

You are the expert on all things, wearing a dress, you tell us?

Senseless repetition detected, killfile activated.

--
The success of the "Wonder Bra" for under-endowed women has encouraged the designers to come out with a bra for over-endowed women.
It's called the "Sheep Dog Bra"- it rounds them up and points them in the right direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 7:17:02 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

We have cold-air returns in the floor. Some houses have them in
the walls instead.

I'm finding it hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

The big one for me is air-conditioning. It gets very hot and humid
in the summer, and I'm grateful to be able to keep the house at
20 C when the outdoors is more than 30 C.

Don't most folk just have a seperate AC unit?

The very best air-conditioning is central AC that uses the existing
ductwork. Anything else is a compromise. When we bought this house,
it had a window AC unit in the living room. It was hard-pressed to
cool the bedrooms at the opposite end of the house. Next year,
we replaced the furnace with a modern one that combined heating
and cooling features.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 19:13:28 +0100, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

The odd thing is, most houses I've seen them in also have electric (storage) heaters.

I'm finding it hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

The big one for me is air-conditioning. It gets very hot and humid
in the summer, and I'm grateful to be able to keep the house at
20 C when the outdoors is more than 30 C.

Don't most folk just have a seperate AC unit?

The very best air-conditioning is central AC that uses the existing
ductwork. Anything else is a compromise. When we bought this house,
it had a window AC unit in the living room. It was hard-pressed to
cool the bedrooms at the opposite end of the house. Next year,
we replaced the furnace with a modern one that combined heating
and cooling features.

I don't use doors much. I have my bedroom door shut to keep the cats out of it, and because I like it cooler than the rest of the house. But every other door is either normally open, or removed. So I'd only need two AC units, one for the main house, and one for the bedroom.

--
Got myself a new Jack Russell puppy, he's mainly black and brown with a small white patch, so I've named him England.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/03/2017 05:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[snip]

Doesn't air make a noise?

A white-noise whooshing. I've had forced-air heat all my life, so
I don't really notice it.

I remember when I spend a few days with a relative, who kept the
(central HVAC) fan on all the time. I got used to it and didn't notice,
until it stopped from a power outage.

[snip]

I have a single-story house. All of the ducts run through the basement,
up into the walls, where there's a grate just below knee level for the
air to come out. For two-story homes, the ducts are sized to fit between
the studs in interior walls.

Most of what I've seen is vents in the ceiling. However, I have seen a
few systems with vents in the floor (often in mobile homes).. I've never
seen vents in the wall or both floor and ceiling.

I'm finding it hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

The big one for me is air-conditioning. It gets very hot and humid
in the summer, and I'm grateful to be able to keep the house at
20 C when the outdoors is more than 30 C.

I got new A/C in 2013. A good time, since we've had much greater
humidity around June since then.

Cindy Hamilton

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"There's no more proof for the existence of God than there is for the
existence of the Easter Bunny. That's right. The Easter Bunny."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 21:56:54 +0100, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 04/03/2017 05:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[snip]

Doesn't air make a noise?

A white-noise whooshing. I've had forced-air heat all my life, so
I don't really notice it.

I remember when I spend a few days with a relative, who kept the
(central HVAC) fan on all the time. I got used to it and didn't notice,
until it stopped from a power outage.

[snip]

All noise annoys me. In particular a change in noise.

I have a single-story house. All of the ducts run through the basement,
up into the walls, where there's a grate just below knee level for the
air to come out. For two-story homes, the ducts are sized to fit between
the studs in interior walls.

Most of what I've seen is vents in the ceiling. However, I have seen a
few systems with vents in the floor (often in mobile homes).. I've never
seen vents in the wall or both floor and ceiling.

I guess it doesn't really matter where they are, except in the floor stuff falls into them.

I'm finding it hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

The big one for me is air-conditioning. It gets very hot and humid
in the summer, and I'm grateful to be able to keep the house at
20 C when the outdoors is more than 30 C.

I got new A/C in 2013. A good time, since we've had much greater
humidity around June since then.

If I don't get AC for this summer, I'm going to frighten my neighbours again by walking around naked.

--
A woman brought an old picture of her dead husband, wearing a hat, to the photographer. She wanted to know if the photographer could remove the hat from the picture.
He convinced her he could easily do that, and asked her what side of his head her husband parted his hair on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 21:58:52 +0100, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

Not here (Texas) except in some older houses (those may still have steam
heat).

What's not here? Do you understand the word "context"?

--
A man and his wife are ****ing.
Fifteen minutes has passed, 30 minutes, then 45 minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 4:56:58 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/03/2017 05:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[snip]

Doesn't air make a noise?

A white-noise whooshing. I've had forced-air heat all my life, so
I don't really notice it.

I remember when I spend a few days with a relative, who kept the
(central HVAC) fan on all the time. I got used to it and didn't notice,
until it stopped from a power outage.

We keep the blower on all the time, too.

[snip]

I have a single-story house. All of the ducts run through the basement,
up into the walls, where there's a grate just below knee level for the
air to come out. For two-story homes, the ducts are sized to fit between
the studs in interior walls.

Most of what I've seen is vents in the ceiling. However, I have seen a
few systems with vents in the floor (often in mobile homes).. I've never
seen vents in the wall or both floor and ceiling.

Vents in the ceiling suggests no basement and HVAC equipment in the attic.
Is that the case?

Basements are extremely common here in Michigan, and it makes more sense
to put the HVAC equipment there, where the temperature is stable, than
in the attic, where it is subject to extremes of heat and cold.

Plus, it's much easier to access for service. We change the filters
monthly because my husband has allergies.

Cindy Hamilton