Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Turn signals

Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few actually use
them correctly. We should have stuck to hand signals!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Mar 2017 18:16:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few actually use
them correctly. We should have stuck to hand signals!

I got a new car a couple of years ago - with a more pleasant
delicate sounding blinker noise ... hence I am now ..
" That Old Guy Driving With His Blinker On "
... and a deep-seated need to write a country song !
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 2:16:34 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few actually use
them correctly. We should have stuck to hand signals!

So, you think that the same people who don't bother to lift their hand to move a little lever
will open their window and stick their arm out? Really?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2017 2:16 PM, KenK wrote:
Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few actually use
them correctly. We should have stuck to hand signals!

Most never use them, A few leave them blinking, Some actually use them
correctly......at least around my neck of the woods.

IF they can't move a few inches to push a lever, do you really think
they will stick their arm out the window?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 11:49:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

So, you think that the same people who don't bother to lift their hand to move a little lever
will open their window and stick their arm out? Really?

I see people sticking their arm out the window signaling people all
the time. It is usually "you are #1".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/30/2017 01:30 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:

[snip]

Self driving cars, they will take care of us, "car, take me to walmart".

"Sorry, I was offered more money to take to you Target instead."

--
"The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong; it's like demanding that
grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't eat steak." -Robert

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/30/2017 03:04 PM, wrote:

[snip]

I see people sticking their arm out the window signaling people all
the time. It is usually "you are #1".

Or mumble-mumble, which probably means the same as the thing above.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Don't try to be happy, it will only make you miserable." -- dialogue
from the movie Lovers and Other Strangers
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 15:30:54 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

I see people sticking their arm out the window signaling people all
the time. It is usually "you are #1".

Or mumble-mumble, which probably means the same as the thing above.

Plus; you don't have to stick your arm out of the window unless you
have a moon window on the roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few actually use
them correctly. We should have stuck to hand signals!

Half the time I can't see them because they are on the other side of my
viewing angle. There are very few that comply to old laws. Every day I come
upon a stopped car. I don't assume the blinker is on if I can't see it. I
give them no slack in pulling out onto a road.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 2:16:34 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few actually use
them correctly. We should have stuck to hand signals!

I always do my best to turn my signal on before braking. I like to let the driver behind me
know why I am braking. I wish everyone would do that.

Turn signals don't stop cars. I never pull out in front of a car that has the turn signal on. I
wait until the driver has committed to the turn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2017 7:06 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 2:16:34 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few actually use
them correctly. We should have stuck to hand signals!

I always do my best to turn my signal on before braking. I like to let the driver behind me
know why I am braking. I wish everyone would do that.

Turn signals don't stop cars. I never pull out in front of a car that has the turn signal on. I
wait until the driver has committed to the turn.

I love those drivers who signal 2 miles before the turn.

Turn signals should be used where it isn't obvious of the intention of
the driver. If one changes lanes or makes a turn from a main road, use
them. If one is in a turn only lane, I don't really care as it's obvious
of the intent. I see the opposite everyday.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:

Turn signals should be used where it isn't obvious of the intention of
the driver.

Or wherever a cop may be lurking. People have gotten tickets for not
turning on their signals soon enough in turn-only lanes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2017 11:57 AM, Neill Massello wrote:
Meanie wrote:

Turn signals should be used where it isn't obvious of the intention of
the driver.

Or wherever a cop may be lurking. People have gotten tickets for not
turning on their signals soon enough in turn-only lanes.

As the should. If I was a cop I'd probably hold the record for tickets
issued for not using a signal. Many drivers just don't care to push the
lever. Not using signals is just a lazy bad habit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 7:21:43 AM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 3/31/2017 7:06 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 2:16:34 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few actually use
them correctly. We should have stuck to hand signals!

I always do my best to turn my signal on before braking. I like to let the driver behind me
know why I am braking. I wish everyone would do that.

Turn signals don't stop cars. I never pull out in front of a car that has the turn signal on. I
wait until the driver has committed to the turn.

I love those drivers who signal 2 miles before the turn.

Turn signals should be used where it isn't obvious of the intention of
the driver.

That tells me that you "believe" turn signals. If you are trying to pull out from a side street
or parking lot, and you see a vehicle approaching from the left with the right hand turn
signal on, do you pull out? Isn't his intention "obvious"?

I don't pull out until the other driver has committed to the turn by beginning the turn. I don't care
if they slow to a crawl. Unless they begin to turn - or wave me out - I don't claim to know
their intention.

If one changes lanes or makes a turn from a main road, use
them. If one is in a turn only lane, I don't really care as it's obvious
of the intent. I see the opposite everyday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 11:57:09 AM UTC-4, Neill Massello wrote:
Meanie wrote:

Turn signals should be used where it isn't obvious of the intention of
the driver.

Turn signals should be used when the law says they should.

Or wherever a cop may be lurking. People have gotten tickets for not
turning on their signals soon enough in turn-only lanes.

Maybe that's because they broke the law.

Are you suggesting that turn signals only need to be used to avoid a ticket?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:

Turn signals should be used where it isn't obvious of the intention of
the driver.

Or wherever a cop may be lurking. People have gotten tickets for not
turning on their signals soon enough in turn-only lanes.

As the should. If I was a cop I'd probably hold the record for tickets
issued for not using a signal. Many drivers just don't care to push the
lever. Not using signals is just a lazy bad habit.

I look at them and wonder. You'd think a $50,000 vehicle would have
come with turn signals.

When I was a kid, cars did not come with turn signals. In those days
only options were radio and heater. I took drivers test signaling with
hand out window.

I always signal drivers in back but may not signal drivers in front as
if I am making a right turn and they are turning left they might figure
I will be slower than them and cut in front of me. I agree with others
that it is stupid to assume the signaler will do as he signaled and wait
to see car going in that direction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2017 6:06 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 2:16:34 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few actually use
them correctly. We should have stuck to hand signals!

I always do my best to turn my signal on before braking. I like to let the driver behind me
know why I am braking. I wish everyone would do that.

Same here, and sometimes, I'll tap the breaks a few times so the driver
behind me can see my red tail lights flash before I actually come to a
stop.

Turn signals don't stop cars. I never pull out in front of a car that has the turn signal on. I
wait until the driver has committed to the turn.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2017 11:26 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Same for me!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2017 12:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

His intentions are to turn which is the beginning of caution for
surrounding drivers. The question is where it is turning. What if it
that car passed you while you were waiting to exit that lot, you were
behind it and it turned without using the signal? If it passed me while
using the signal and I turned behind it, at least I know they will still
be turning or they left it on, but at least I can react accordingly
knowing their supposed intent.

I don't pull out until the other driver has committed to the turn by beginning the turn. I don't care
if they slow to a crawl. Unless they begin to turn - or wave me out - I don't claim to know
their intention.

That's fine, but at least you are more aware of their intent to turn
than no signal at all. Whether you proceed or not before or after is
irrelevant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are you suggesting that turn signals only need to be used to avoid a ticket?

Do you know the meaning of the word "or"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't pull out until the other driver has committed to the turn by
beginning the turn. I don't care if they slow to a crawl. Unless they
begin to turn - or wave me out - I don't claim to know their intention.

Are you suggesting that turn signals are useless?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 1:32:07 PM UTC-4, Neill Massello wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are you suggesting that turn signals only need to be used to avoid a ticket?

Do you know the meaning of the word "or"?

Pleas don't snip the relevant portion of a post just you can try to make an irrelevant point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 1:28:24 PM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
[...]

How do you know what his intentions are? Go back to the post that started
this thread. Read the part of the complaint related to those that leave their signals
on permanently. For all you know, he signaled to change lanes earlier and left it on,
having no intention of turning any time soon, if at all.

The question is where it is turning. What if it
that car passed you while you were waiting to exit that lot, you were
behind it and it turned without using the signal? If it passed me while
using the signal and I turned behind it, at least I know they will still
be turning or they left it on, but at least I can react accordingly
knowing their supposed intent.

"Knowing their supposed intent"? That's not "knowing", that's "assuming".

I don't pull out until the other driver has committed to the turn by beginning the turn. I don't care
if they slow to a crawl. Unless they begin to turn - or wave me out - I don't claim to know
their intention.

That's fine, but at least you are more aware of their intent to turn
than no signal at all. Whether you proceed or not before or after is
irrelevant.

I have know knowledge or awareness of their intent. All I know is that their turn signal is on.
Oh yeah, I also know that turn signals don't stop cars, so I won't pull out until they perform
an action that clarifies their intent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pleas don't snip

Please don't post for minor gripe,
says the snippy snapping snipe.
Or you may find that home repair
is left in limbo - in the air.
For when it comes to picking nit
most of us don't give a #!*%?..
:-)
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 2:56:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Pleas don't snip

Please don't post for minor gripe,
says the snippy snapping snipe.
Or you may find that home repair
is left in limbo - in the air.
For when it comes to picking nit
most of us don't give a #!*%?..
:-)
John T.

I don't want to pick a fight
But it wasn't just a minor gripe.

The snip removed the point of the post
So therefore the compliant is worth the most.

The question asked was not much fun
Because of the snipping that was done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2017 2:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

You have a greater assumption the driver is turning than not, when the
signal is on. I would guess 99% of drivers who use signals remember to
turn them off since I rarely see that error. A greater % belongs to
those who don't use them. Therefore, I would place a safe bet the
vehicle is turning. Regardless of it's real intent, you plan to wait for
it's movement and the point becomes moot.

The question is where it is turning. What if it
that car passed you while you were waiting to exit that lot, you were
behind it and it turned without using the signal? If it passed me while
using the signal and I turned behind it, at least I know they will still
be turning or they left it on, but at least I can react accordingly
knowing their supposed intent.

"Knowing their supposed intent"? That's not "knowing", that's "assuming".

And it's a closer approximation than not knowing at all.

I don't pull out until the other driver has committed to the turn by beginning the turn. I don't care
if they slow to a crawl. Unless they begin to turn - or wave me out - I don't claim to know
their intention.

That's fine, but at least you are more aware of their intent to turn
than no signal at all. Whether you proceed or not before or after is
irrelevant.

I have know knowledge or awareness of their intent. All I know is that their turn signal is on.
Oh yeah, I also know that turn signals don't stop cars, so I won't pull out until they perform
an action that clarifies their intent.

Once again, nothing wrong with that and you can beat this issue till the
flies eliminate the horse. The fact is, you have a greater assumption a
driver will be turning with a lit signal than one with no signal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't pull out until the other driver has committed to the turn by
beginning the turn. I don't care if they slow to a crawl. Unless they
begin to turn - or wave me out - I don't claim to know their intention.

Are you suggesting that turn signals are useless?

Nice stretch.

Actually, I think it's a fairly valid question. If one ignores the use
of signals or the observance of them, perhaps they deem them useless or
pointless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't pull out until the other driver has committed to the turn by
beginning the turn. I don't care if they slow to a crawl. Unless they
begin to turn - or wave me out - I don't claim to know their intention.

Are you suggesting that turn signals are useless?

Nice stretch.

Actually, I think it's a fairly valid question. If one ignores the use
of signals or the observance of them, perhaps they deem them useless or
pointless.

Fairly valid? Now there's a strong endorsement.

I described a specific situation where I wait until I'm sure of the driver's intention: The situation
where my pulling out in front of the vehicle that has the turn signal on will result in an accident
if the vehicle does not turn.

How does that strech to "I think turn signals are useless"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:

Turn signals should be used where it isn't obvious of the
intention of the driver.

Or wherever a cop may be lurking. People have gotten tickets for
not turning on their signals soon enough in turn-only lanes.

As the should. If I was a cop I'd probably hold the record for
tickets issued for not using a signal. Many drivers just don't
care to push the lever. Not using signals is just a lazy bad
habit.

There's a running joke around here concerning new cars. Evidently,
the turning lights don't actually work. [g]

I'd be right behind you, issuing tickets to those individuals who
like to run stop signs and then slow to a crawl knowing vehicles are
behind them. If you were in such a hurry, you should stay on the
****ing gas. No point in impeding traffic. Or the people who switch
over to the left hand lane ONLY TO PACE The car in the right hand
lane, not overtake them (you know, pass!), but ride nose to nose
beside them. I'd give them the biggest ticket I could. And, I'd make
sure I was present on the specified court date so the judge doesn't
auto dismiss and let the person off. Nopers.

I'd also ticket the hell out of the people who like to ride around
with their bright lights on all the time, too. You're either running
the brights because you have a headlight out, or, you want to be an
asshole towards oncoming drivers and the one in front of you.

When you see a car coming towards you, turn the ****ing brights off.
You can turn them back on as soon as the car clears you. Why blind
the oncoming car? Are you trying to get drilled in a head on
collision?

--
Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are
too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03
Fri, 31
Mar 2017 16:26:49 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[...]

It should be, but, the driver might have had that turn signal on for
another turn he made several miles ago and forgot it's still on.
Thus, he/she has no intention of making the turn as his/her vehicle
is indicating. I've followed people down the interstate that had
their turn signals on when they merged into traffic flow, only to
keep it on for miles down the road. How they don't realize it's still
on, is beyond me. My dash lights flash and I can hear a ding ding
sound in the event I can't see the dash light flashing. I shouldn't
need a ding ding sound, I should know because I've got an arrow
blinking to the right/left that my turn signal is still on, but..
YMMV.

I don't pull out until the other driver has committed to the turn
by beginning the turn. I don't care if they slow to a crawl.
Unless they begin to turn - or wave me out - I don't claim to know
their intention.

Same here. I like my ride, and, I don't want to smash it into
something because I assumed the driver was going to do what his ride
was indicating.

--
Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are
too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get
by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. - J.C. Watts
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03
Fri, 31
Mar 2017 18:22:19 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

"Knowing their supposed intent"? That's not "knowing", that's
"assuming".

You know what they say about assuming...

--
Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too
many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by,
and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. - J.C. Watts
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles
news 31 Mar 2017 16:36:35 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 3/31/2017 6:06 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 2:16:34 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few
actually use them correctly. We should have stuck to hand
signals!

I always do my best to turn my signal on before braking. I like
to let the driver behind me know why I am braking. I wish
everyone would do that.

Same here, and sometimes, I'll tap the breaks a few times so the
driver behind me can see my red tail lights flash before I
actually come to a stop.

That's a very courteous thing to do. I applaud you for it.

--
Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too
many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by,
and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. - J.C. Watts
Posted to alt.home.repair

And I rarely ever see operators of vans,
pickup trucks, or police cars use them!

Long turn vs. short turn 90deg elbow: sanitary from toilets [email protected] Home Repair 27 October 17th 15 06:31 PM
1988 Plymouth Voyager turn signals not flashing. David Farber Electronics Repair 15 December 11th 13 09:57 AM
Combing RF signals borosteve UK diy 6 August 22nd 07 05:49 PM
RF Signals Himszy Electronics 2 March 20th 05 03:44 AM
Sony Model KV-32XBR48 slow turn on and flashing video for short period at turn on Ron Novini Electronics Repair 4 September 20th 03 12:10 AM