Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_6_] Meanie[_6_] is offline

Default OT Turn signals

On 3/31/2017 2:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 1:28:24 PM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 3/31/2017 12:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 7:21:43 AM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 3/31/2017 7:06 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 2:16:34 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few actually use
them correctly. We should have stuck to hand signals!

I always do my best to turn my signal on before braking. I like to let the driver behind me
know why I am braking. I wish everyone would do that.

Turn signals don't stop cars. I never pull out in front of a car that has the turn signal on. I
wait until the driver has committed to the turn.

I love those drivers who signal 2 miles before the turn.

Turn signals should be used where it isn't obvious of the intention of
the driver.

That tells me that you "believe" turn signals. If you are trying to pull out from a side street
or parking lot, and you see a vehicle approaching from the left with the right hand turn
signal on, do you pull out? Isn't his intention "obvious"?

His intentions are to turn which is the beginning of caution for
surrounding drivers.

How do you know what his intentions are? Go back to the post that started
this thread. Read the part of the complaint related to those that leave their signals
on permanently. For all you know, he signaled to change lanes earlier and left it on,
having no intention of turning any time soon, if at all.

You have a greater assumption the driver is turning than not, when the
signal is on. I would guess 99% of drivers who use signals remember to
turn them off since I rarely see that error. A greater % belongs to
those who don't use them. Therefore, I would place a safe bet the
vehicle is turning. Regardless of it's real intent, you plan to wait for
it's movement and the point becomes moot.

The question is where it is turning. What if it
that car passed you while you were waiting to exit that lot, you were
behind it and it turned without using the signal? If it passed me while
using the signal and I turned behind it, at least I know they will still
be turning or they left it on, but at least I can react accordingly
knowing their supposed intent.

"Knowing their supposed intent"? That's not "knowing", that's "assuming".

And it's a closer approximation than not knowing at all.

I don't pull out until the other driver has committed to the turn by beginning the turn. I don't care
if they slow to a crawl. Unless they begin to turn - or wave me out - I don't claim to know
their intention.

That's fine, but at least you are more aware of their intent to turn
than no signal at all. Whether you proceed or not before or after is
irrelevant.

I have know knowledge or awareness of their intent. All I know is that their turn signal is on.
Oh yeah, I also know that turn signals don't stop cars, so I won't pull out until they perform
an action that clarifies their intent.

Once again, nothing wrong with that and you can beat this issue till the
flies eliminate the horse. The fact is, you have a greater assumption a
driver will be turning with a lit signal than one with no signal.