Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shovel Recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for a great shovel. This is what I
need:

1. Round point digging shovel
2. Long handle, overall length preferably 65"+
3. Blade should be 14 - 12ga. pre-sharpened steel
4. Long widows-peak socket
5. The handle should be the strongest material available in a shovel
for maximum prying leverage.
5. Large, forward turned steps on blade

So far, the strongest shovel I have been able to find is made by
Corona Tools, the blade is great, very tough and it can be
re-sharpened easily.

Unfortunately, we have broken the Ash handles on a couple of the
shovels while removing roots from Cape Honeysuckle (the herpes of the
botanical kingdom). Yes, we are using long, tempered steel digging
bars too, but a good shovel should be able to withstand a certain
amount of prying

I pay about $26 each for these at the local landscape supply:

http://bit.ly/2hA4YAW

If anyone has discovered a shovel they consider to be superior or
nearly indestructible, I would appreciate the recommendation.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/11/2016 7:31 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Unfortunately, we have broken the Ash handles on a couple of the
shovels while removing roots from Cape Honeysuckle (the herpes of the
botanical kingdom). Yes, we are using long, tempered steel digging
bars too, but a good shovel should be able to withstand a certain
amount of prying

If anyone has discovered a shovel they consider to be superior or
nearly indestructible, I would appreciate the recommendation.

No shovel is going to take that kind of abuse albeit I do think quality
of wooden handle stock is significantly less than what it once was...

For the purpose you're using it for, I'd suggest replacing the handle of
one of the ones you've broken with metal bar/pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 13:31:43 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

So far, the strongest shovel I have been able to find is made by
Corona Tools, the blade is great, very tough and it can be
re-sharpened easily.

Unfortunately, we have broken the Ash handles on a couple of the
shovels while removing roots from Cape Honeysuckle (the herpes of the
botanical kingdom). Yes, we are using long, tempered steel digging
bars too, but a good shovel should be able to withstand a certain
amount of prying

Why not replace the handles? Some stores carry them but you may have
to do some digging or have them special ordered. We used to have a
handle factory the next town over and they can fit anything for you. I
used to break my splitting maul most every year.

You may even find a fiberglass handle that will outlast 10 wooden
ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-11, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You may even find a fiberglass handle that will outlast 10 wooden
ones.

Can you replace a wooden handle with something you make?

Can you replace a fiberglass handle with something you make?

'nuff sed....

Wanna know about axes? Look fer Wranglestar on Youtube.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So far, the strongest shovel I have been able to find is made by
Corona Tools, the blade is great, very tough and it can be
re-sharpened easily.

Unfortunately, we have broken the Ash handles on a couple of the
shovels while removing roots from Cape Honeysuckle (the herpes of the
botanical kingdom). Yes, we are using long, tempered steel digging
bars too, but a good shovel should be able to withstand a certain
amount of prying

Why not replace the handles? Some stores carry them but you may have
to do some digging or have them special ordered. We used to have a
handle factory the next town over and they can fit anything for you. I
used to break my splitting maul most every year.

You may even find a fiberglass handle that will outlast 10 wooden
ones.

The company has been replacing the shovels we have broken. I am
simply looking for a better shovel, one that will take greater
punishment. In the past, it seemed we could punish the shovels with
hickory handles far more than we can punish these. It is possible the
older shovels were made with old growth hickory.

As for fiberglass, we have shattered at least one fiberglass handle,
it didn't seem to take as much punishment as the wood handles.

Do you have experience with a specific brand of fiberglass handle
shovel that you feel was superior to other shovels you have used?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2016 8:31 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
[...]

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-shovel/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YOTA7E...subtag=SH12570

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-11, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You may even find a fiberglass handle that will outlast 10 wooden
ones.

Can you replace a wooden handle with something you make?

Can you replace a fiberglass handle with something you make?

'nuff sed....

Not really "'nuff sed", would you elaborate further?

Wanna know about axes? Look fer Wranglestar on Youtube.

No interest in axes, but thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 08:45:42 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 12/11/2016 7:31 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Unfortunately, we have broken the Ash handles on a couple of the
shovels while removing roots from Cape Honeysuckle (the herpes of the
botanical kingdom). Yes, we are using long, tempered steel digging
bars too, but a good shovel should be able to withstand a certain
amount of prying

If anyone has discovered a shovel they consider to be superior or
nearly indestructible, I would appreciate the recommendation.

No shovel is going to take that kind of abuse albeit I do think quality
of wooden handle stock is significantly less than what it once was...

For the purpose you're using it for, I'd suggest replacing the handle of
one of the ones you've broken with metal bar/pipe.

Thanks for the reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 10:28:18 -0500, Meanie wrote:

[...]

Have you actually purchased one of these? We acquired one and bent
the blade almost immediately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2016 5:31 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for a great shovel. This is what I
need:

Norman, little troll feller, this outa get the dumb clucks a'poastin'.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 10:28:18 -0500, Meanie wrote:

If anyone has discovered a shovel they consider to be superior or
nearly indestructible, I would appreciate the recommendation.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-shovel/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YOTA7E...subtag=SH12570

Great links - I think we have a winner !
I just can't imagine using the 8 pound all-steel
model for very long ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 10:55:18 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 10:28:18 -0500, Meanie wrote:

If anyone has discovered a shovel they consider to be superior or
nearly indestructible, I would appreciate the recommendation.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-shovel/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YOTA7E...subtag=SH12570

Great links - I think we have a winner !
I just can't imagine using the 8 pound all-steel
model for very long ..
John T.

We bent the blade, within a week, on the Bully shovel posted above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2016 10:21 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Why not replace the handles? Some stores carry them but you may have
to do some digging or have them special ordered. We used to have a
handle factory the next town over and they can fit anything for you. I
used to break my splitting maul most every year.

You may even find a fiberglass handle that will outlast 10 wooden
ones.

As for fiberglass, we have shattered at least one fiberglass handle,
it didn't seem to take as much punishment as the wood handles.

Do you have experience with a specific brand of fiberglass handle
shovel that you feel was superior to other shovels you have used?

Don't see a name and the handle on my maul is over 20 years now. After
much abuse it keeps on going. Same handle is used on axes on fire trucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-shovel/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YOTA7E...subtag=SH12570

Have you actually purchased one of these? We acquired one and bent
the blade almost immediately.

The article mentions the next-model-up
which has thicker guage steel for the blade -
at 1 pound extra weight.
.. or go to the all-steel 8 pound $ 120. unit -
if you are only using it for those occasional
short tough jobs.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/16 7:31 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for a great shovel. This is what I
need:

Some cut.

If anyone has discovered a shovel they consider to be superior or
nearly indestructible, I would appreciate the recommendation.

If expensive means good:
http://www.garrettwade.com/outdoor-tools/shovels-forks-diggers/show/all.html

I haven't tried any. We go down to the local farm supply store
and buy shovels
with fiber glass handles. They're not indestructible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-11, Stormin' Norman wrote:

The company has been replacing the shovels we have broken. I am
simply looking for a better shovel, one that will take greater
punishment. In the past, it seemed we could punish the shovels with
hickory handles far more than we can punish these. It is possible the
older shovels were made with old growth hickory.

As for fiberglass, we have shattered at least one fiberglass handle,
it didn't seem to take as much punishment as the wood handles.

Do you have experience with a specific brand of fiberglass handle
shovel that you feel was superior to other shovels you have used?

I don't know if these are what you are looking for:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...?cat=2&p=64944

I would also spend some time on Youtube researching shovels. I bet
Wranglestar (a homesteader with $$$$) would be of some help.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin' Norman wrote:

[...]

Ask one of your illegal pals... They shovel a lot...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin' Norman" wrote in message

The company has been replacing the shovels we have broken. I am
simply looking for a better shovel, one that will take greater
punishment. In the past, it seemed we could punish the shovels with
hickory handles far more than we can punish these. It is possible the
older shovels were made with old growth hickory.

+1 on the hickory, old growth or not. White oak might work well too (never
seen a commercial one) as it is both strong and "bendy".

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am looking for recommendations for a great shovel.

I don't have a recommendation for a specific shovel, but I will say the
ones with fiberglass handles hold up a lot better.

Over the years we have dug a lot of trenches on our property for power
lines, water lines, drain lines, etc. Not to mention general digging in the
garden, or preparing for foundations.

The first few years I must have gone through a half dozen wood handled
shovels. The blade holds up fine, but the wood handles always broke trying
to pry out a rock or root. I wasn't applying that much pressure when they
broke either.

I finally spent a little more and got a shovel with a fiberglass handle
(from the local home center) and it has lasted me over 25+ years. In the
last year or two the very tip of the shovel has started to bend, making it
harder to dig into firm soil. So far I've been able to straighten it out
again with a hammer and it's good to go for another summer. But at some
point it's going to get too weak and I'll have to replace the shovel.

Good luck,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin' Norman posted for all of us...

[...]

Replace the handle with fiberglass.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

https://smile.amazon.com/Heavy-Comme.../dp/B00WYMK2U0

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 18:38:27 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

[...]

thanks, I will have to take another look at fiberglass handles.

Shovel handles Herb Eneva Home Repair 12 August 20th 11 03:14 AM
fix a shovel JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com Home Repair 2 April 3rd 10 12:28 AM
Shovel ID Wes[_2_] Metalworking 8 December 20th 08 11:36 PM
Shovel Maintenence Steve B Home Repair 9 March 20th 07 12:23 AM
What kind of shovel? Snow Newbie Home Ownership 32 February 20th 07 07:18 PM