Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Shovel Recommendations

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 10:28:18 -0500, Meanie wrote:

On 12/11/2016 8:31 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for a great shovel. This is what I
need:

1. Round point digging shovel
2. Long handle, overall length preferably 65"+
3. Blade should be 14 - 12ga. pre-sharpened steel
4. Long widows-peak socket
5. The handle should be the strongest material available in a shovel
for maximum prying leverage.
5. Large, forward turned steps on blade

So far, the strongest shovel I have been able to find is made by
Corona Tools, the blade is great, very tough and it can be
re-sharpened easily.

Unfortunately, we have broken the Ash handles on a couple of the
shovels while removing roots from Cape Honeysuckle (the herpes of the
botanical kingdom). Yes, we are using long, tempered steel digging
bars too, but a good shovel should be able to withstand a certain
amount of prying

I pay about $26 each for these at the local landscape supply:

http://bit.ly/2hA4YAW

If anyone has discovered a shovel they consider to be superior or
nearly indestructible, I would appreciate the recommendation.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-shovel/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YOTA7E...subtag=SH12570

Have you actually purchased one of these? We acquired one and bent
the blade almost immediately.