Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shovel ID

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

In a recent discussion, I was unsure of a shovel I had. I looked it up, and
it is a poly scoop. A short handled shovel with a t handle, and a poly
scoop. It is light, and works great for snow. Also used for grains. Not a
bad scrounge find, on the side of the road.

Man, there are a lot of specialized shovels.

No, this is the ultimate snow shovel. An Ames True Temper #1 aluminum shovel with a
decent handle on it.

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/u835306.jpg

Wes

#1 aluminum shovel with a
decent handle on it.

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/u835306.jpg

Wes

That's a good shovel but it needs one more thing : another T
handle made
to a length to suit your arm reach and attached to the rivet
hole in the
shank of the shovel. A handle about a foot long should do
it. Major
back saver, it is............
phil

#1 aluminum shovel with a
decent handle on it.

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/u835306.jpg

Wes

I'm allergic to that particular model.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

#1 aluminum shovel with a
decent handle on it.

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/u835306.jpg

Wes

That's a good shovel but it needs one more thing : another T
handle made
to a length to suit your arm reach and attached to the rivet
hole in the
shank of the shovel. A handle about a foot long should do
it. Major
back saver, it is............
phil

I shovel a lot of snow, really dislike either "T" or "D"
handles. They just get in the way, long straight handle is
the way to go. For heavy duty shoveling I use a plastic
scoop (grain scoop size) with a layer of paste wax smeared
all over it. Light work gets done with a reinforced plastic
pusher.

Those are my two favorites. I have several others for
special snow/circumstances.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

#1 aluminum shovel with a
decent handle on it.

[...]

Remove no.spam for email- Hide quoted text -

Any plastic shovels I've ever used have come to a Bad End, either by
hitting a sidewalk slab edge in sub-zero weather or a blob of ice.
Without wax, the snow sticks, when you knock it off, the blade
breaks. Aluminum is no good for busting ice. A good steel shovel,
waxed, works well for me. If it gets bent, a little hammer work
straightens it up and it wears a whole lot better than either plastic
or aluminum. The problem is finding replacements. What kind of idiot
rivets the handle so the end is only 1" from the edge of the shovel?
That's the current offering at True Value. Even worn, my current one
has about 3" of wear left before it hits the handle socket. Time to
dig up some strapping iron and rivets.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

I use a plastic
scoop (grain scoop size) with a layer of paste wax smeared
all over it. Light work gets done with a reinforced plastic
pusher.

What wax do you like? I use Johnson's Floor Wax.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk"

#1 aluminum shovel with a
decent handle on it.

[...]

What I was refering to is another handle, a short one,
attached
at the rivet hole so it pivots at that point. Now you have a
triangle to work with. You can swing the shovel sideways
golf
style and do a fine job of clearing the walkway or banking
the
house (if you know what _that_means ;)) )
phil

#1 aluminum shovel with a
decent handle on it.

[...]

I pretty sure I understand Phil. I bought one of the
commercial bent-handle easy on your back shovels several
years ago (similar idea). It feels nice in your hands, but
isn't worth a toot for chucking a glob of snow 10-15 feet
away. Spent around 3 hours yesterday doing just that with
the re-handled plastic grain scoop. I would like to try a
bit longer handle in it, but don't happen to have one on
hand. I just loath having to buy a special handle if I
could even find one. There aren't too many stores around
anymore that carry replacement handles anyway.

My neighbors just roll their eyes watching me shovel out.
They think I like to shovel snow, run, walk, buck wood...
what I really like to do is drink beer and eat munchies ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

#1 aluminum shovel with a
decent handle on it.

[...]

;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I agree with you on those silly bent handle shovels, they
are
useless. The second handle needs to be able to move
independently
of the main handle. Once you've tried this setup I'm sure
you'll
love it.
phil the michigan yooper......

Shovel cleaning keith_765 UK diy 9 November 2nd 07 11:32 PM
Cleaning a shovel mike UK diy 3 June 19th 07 01:29 PM
Shovel Maintenence Steve B Home Repair 9 March 20th 07 12:23 AM
What kind of shovel? Snow Newbie Home Ownership 32 February 20th 07 07:18 PM
Roof Rake or shovel? Jim M Home Repair 6 January 15th 05 07:46 AM