Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shovel cleaning

Made the mistake of lending my shovel to a friend, used it but left it for a
few days with out washing the mortar off. What's the best way to clean
hardened cement mortar of the shovel,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"keith_765" wrote in message
Made the mistake of lending my shovel to a friend, used it but left it for
few days with out washing the mortar off. What's the best way to clean
hardened cement mortar of the shovel,

Smack it on something hard, chisel the mortar off or buy a new one.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Smack it on something hard...

Like your friend's head.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

keith_765 wrote:
Made the mistake of lending my shovel to a friend, used it but left it for a
few days with out washing the mortar off. What's the best way to clean
hardened cement mortar of the shovel,

Hammer and flat surface to hammer against. Most of it will break away
then. Old chisel/screwdriver or WHY to get remainder off.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:17:55 +0000, keith_765 wrote:

Made the mistake of lending my shovel to a friend, used it but left it for
a few days with out washing the mortar off. What's the best way to clean
hardened cement mortar of the shovel,

==================================
Shovel a pile of gravel or broken hardcore as if mixing mortar. Half an
hour of this shovelling will get the shovel clean and get you fit for your
next job.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 31, 9:31 pm, Cicero wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:17:55 +0000, keith_765 wrote:
Made the mistake of lending my shovel to a friend, used it but left it for
a few days with out washing the mortar off. What's the best way to clean
hardened cement mortar of the shovel,

==================================
Shovel a pile of gravel or broken hardcore as if mixing mortar. Half an
hour of this shovelling will get the shovel clean and get you fit for your
next job.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door
===================================

Get your 'friend' to clean it in whatever way he feels fit. Or to save
lending it to him again he could always keep it and buy you a new
one!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , keith_765
writes
Made the mistake of lending my shovel to a friend, used it but left it for a
few days with out washing the mortar off. What's the best way to clean
hardened cement mortar of the shovel,

Hit him round the head with it

or just whack it flat on the ground - should bring most of it off

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , keith_765
writes

Then use an acid based cleaner http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/153779

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:17:55 GMT, "keith_765"
wrote:

What's the best way to clean hardened cement mortar of the shovel,

Hydrochloric / muriatic / brick acid

if it's not too bad, and you've already got some, sulphamic acid toilet
de-limescaler will also do it, but a bit more slowly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Dingley
writes
wrote:

What's the best way to clean hardened cement mortar of the shovel,

Hydrochloric / muriatic / brick acid

if it's not too bad, and you've already got some, sulphamic acid toilet
de-limescaler will also do it, but a bit more slowly.

no, really, just whack the thing on a hard surface until the mortar
comes off

--
geoff

Cleaning a shovel mike UK diy 3 June 19th 07 01:29 PM
better to shovel snow all at once or little at a time? Joe Home Ownership 11 March 23rd 07 09:45 PM
Shovel Maintenence Steve B Home Repair 9 March 20th 07 12:23 AM
What kind of shovel? Snow Newbie Home Ownership 32 February 20th 07 07:18 PM
Roof Rake or shovel? Jim M Home Repair 6 January 15th 05 07:46 AM