Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shovel Maintenence

I live in a dry desert climate. What can I do as a preventative to garden
tool wood handles splitting? And after they're split, I need to sand them
down and do .......... what?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I live in a dry desert climate. What can I do as a preventative to garden
tool wood handles splitting? And after they're split, I need to sand them
down and do .......... what?

Steve

Boiled linseed oil may help. If the handle was too wet when made, nothing
is going to help much as the wood will dry over time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:33:01 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I live in a dry desert climate. What can I do as a preventative to garden
tool wood handles splitting? And after they're split, I need to sand them
down and do .......... what?

Fill with plastic wood and use them for the work they can do, and not
beauty? Don't need to sand then either, although a wire wheel might
work faster than sandpaper anyhow.

My brother brought back a probably-cheap wood sculpture from Thailand
and after a year it started cracking and cracked all over the place.
I stained the inside of the cracks to match the very dark stain on the
outside, and afaic it looks pretty good. You don't notice the cracks
in the guys leg or his chest. At least from a distance.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I live in a dry desert climate. What can I do as a preventative to garden
tool wood handles splitting? And after they're split, I need to sand them
down and do .......... what?

If you're emotionally attached to the tools, then you're involved in
one of those maintenance relationships. Periodic dressing with your
choice of oil will keep the wood moisturized. As far as the splits,
it depends on how bad they are. Wood filler would tend to crumble out
as the tools are subject to a lot of flexure and heat/water stresses.
You could caulk the gaps before you oil them the first time. Wipe off
the excess with a damp rag and wait for the water to evaporate out
before oiling them up.

Or you could end the maintenance and buy fiberglass handled tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in a dry desert climate. What can I do as a preventative to garden
tool wood handles splitting? And after they're split, I need to sand them
down and do .......... what?

Steve

Fire Fighter training told us to clean the wood, and then seal with
boiled linseed oil. NOTE: We got several warnings about the dirty
oil soaked rags can self-ignite. So dispose of safely.

Just passing on what I was told...

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I live in a dry desert climate. What can I do as a preventative to garden
tool wood handles splitting? And after they're split, I need to sand them
down and do .......... what?

Steve

I used 60 grit paper on an orbital sander; back and forth the length
of the handles. This was an axe, sledge hammer and short excavation
shovel. I was asking myself the same question.

The desert is hard on the wood, so I will follow the Boiled Linseed
Oil suggestion. I happen to have some in the cabinet.

I doubt I'll be buying these type tools in the future, so a good
clean-up is in order.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Fire Fighter training told us to clean the wood, and then seal with
boiled linseed oil. NOTE: We got several warnings about the dirty
oil soaked rags can self-ignite. So dispose of safely.

From the can label: Heats as it dries...generated heat can cause
spontaneous ignition.....

Just passing on what I was told...

I ain't joshin'

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I live in a dry desert climate. What can I do as a preventative to
garden tool wood handles splitting? And after they're split, I need
to sand them down and do .......... what?

I once tried to sell a "maintenance shovel assist" to my city government.

It was basically a bi-pod that attached to the shovel, holding the shovel in
an upright position.

By judicious use, the city could cut the manpower required to dig a hole by
80%, using my device to replace eight of ten city workers tasked with
standing around the hole holding their shovels upright.

City didn't go for it. Buncha Luddites.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:15:05 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
I live in a dry desert climate. What can I do as a preventative to
garden tool wood handles splitting? And after they're split, I need
to sand them down and do .......... what?

I once tried to sell a "maintenance shovel assist" to my city government.

It was basically a bi-pod that attached to the shovel, holding the shovel in
an upright position.

By judicious use, the city could cut the manpower required to dig a hole by
80%, using my device to replace eight of ten city workers tasked with
standing around the hole holding their shovels upright.

City didn't go for it. Buncha Luddites.

Do you mean leaning on the shovel? Not holding it?
--
Oren

better to shovel snow all at once or little at a time? Joe Home Ownership 11 March 23rd 07 09:45 PM
What kind of shovel? Snow Newbie Home Ownership 32 February 20th 07 07:18 PM
A/C Maintenence Jake Home Repair 17 September 4th 06 05:59 PM
Making a perfect snow shovel [email protected] Metalworking 4 December 4th 05 03:06 PM
Roof Rake or shovel? Jim M Home Repair 6 January 15th 05 07:46 AM