Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_3_] Phil Kangas[_3_] is offline

Default Shovel ID

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 19:40:26 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk"
wrote in message On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:03:17 -0500,
"Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message

No, this is the ultimate snow shovel. An Ames True

Temper
#1 aluminum shovel with a
decent handle on it.

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/u835306.jpg

Wes

That's a good shovel but it needs one more thing :

another T
handle made
to a length to suit your arm reach and attached to the

rivet
hole in the
shank of the shovel. A handle about a foot long should

do
it. Major
back saver, it is............
phil

I shovel a lot of snow, really dislike either "T" or

"D"
handles. They just get in the way, long straight handle

is
the way to go. For heavy duty shoveling I use a plastic
scoop (grain scoop size) with a layer of paste wax

smeared
all over it. Light work gets done with a reinforced

plastic
pusher.

Those are my two favorites. I have several others for
special snow/circumstances.

--
Leon Fisk

What I was refering to is another handle, a short one,
attached
at the rivet hole so it pivots at that point. Now you

have a
triangle to work with. You can swing the shovel sideways
golf
style and do a fine job of clearing the walkway or

banking
the
house (if you know what _that_means ;)) )
phil

I pretty sure I understand Phil. I bought one of the
commercial bent-handle easy on your back shovels several
years ago (similar idea). It feels nice in your hands, but
isn't worth a toot for chucking a glob of snow 10-15 feet
away. Spent around 3 hours yesterday doing just that with
the re-handled plastic grain scoop. I would like to try a
bit longer handle in it, but don't happen to have one on
hand. I just loath having to buy a special handle if I
could even find one. There aren't too many stores around
anymore that carry replacement handles anyway.

My neighbors just roll their eyes watching me shovel out.
They think I like to shovel snow, run, walk, buck wood...
what I really like to do is drink beer and eat munchies

;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I agree with you on those silly bent handle shovels, they
are
useless. The second handle needs to be able to move
independently
of the main handle. Once you've tried this setup I'm sure
you'll
love it.
phil the michigan yooper......