Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Shovel ID

On Dec 19, 11:55*am, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:03:17 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

wrote:
No, this is the ultimate snow shovel. *An Ames True Temper

#1 aluminum shovel with a
decent handle on it.

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/u835306.jpg

Wes

That's a good shovel but it needs one more thing : another T
handle made
to a length to suit your arm reach and attached to the rivet
hole in the
shank of the shovel. A handle about a foot long should do
it. Major
back saver, it is............
phil

I shovel a lot of snow, really dislike either "T" or "D"
handles. They just get in the way, long straight handle is
the way to go. For heavy duty shoveling I use a plastic
scoop (grain scoop size) with a layer of paste wax smeared
all over it. Light work gets done with a reinforced plastic
pusher.

Those are my two favorites. I have several others for
special snow/circumstances.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids *MI/Zone 5b

Any plastic shovels I've ever used have come to a Bad End, either by
hitting a sidewalk slab edge in sub-zero weather or a blob of ice.
Without wax, the snow sticks, when you knock it off, the blade
breaks. Aluminum is no good for busting ice. A good steel shovel,
waxed, works well for me. If it gets bent, a little hammer work
straightens it up and it wears a whole lot better than either plastic
or aluminum. The problem is finding replacements. What kind of idiot
rivets the handle so the end is only 1" from the edge of the shovel?
That's the current offering at True Value. Even worn, my current one
has about 3" of wear left before it hits the handle socket. Time to
dig up some strapping iron and rivets.

Stan