Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Shovel ID

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 19:40:26 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk"
wrote in message On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:03:17 -0500,
"Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message

No, this is the ultimate snow shovel. An Ames True

Temper
#1 aluminum shovel with a
decent handle on it.

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/u835306.jpg

Wes

That's a good shovel but it needs one more thing :

another T
handle made
to a length to suit your arm reach and attached to the

rivet
hole in the
shank of the shovel. A handle about a foot long should do
it. Major
back saver, it is............
phil

I shovel a lot of snow, really dislike either "T" or "D"
handles. They just get in the way, long straight handle is
the way to go. For heavy duty shoveling I use a plastic
scoop (grain scoop size) with a layer of paste wax smeared
all over it. Light work gets done with a reinforced

plastic
pusher.

Those are my two favorites. I have several others for
special snow/circumstances.

--
Leon Fisk

What I was refering to is another handle, a short one,
attached
at the rivet hole so it pivots at that point. Now you have a
triangle to work with. You can swing the shovel sideways
golf
style and do a fine job of clearing the walkway or banking
the
house (if you know what _that_means ;)) )
phil

I pretty sure I understand Phil. I bought one of the
commercial bent-handle easy on your back shovels several
years ago (similar idea). It feels nice in your hands, but
isn't worth a toot for chucking a glob of snow 10-15 feet
away. Spent around 3 hours yesterday doing just that with
the re-handled plastic grain scoop. I would like to try a
bit longer handle in it, but don't happen to have one on
hand. I just loath having to buy a special handle if I
could even find one. There aren't too many stores around
anymore that carry replacement handles anyway.

My neighbors just roll their eyes watching me shovel out.
They think I like to shovel snow, run, walk, buck wood...
what I really like to do is drink beer and eat munchies ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b