Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DRYER VENT HOUSE IS FILLING WITH WATER.

My Tenant complained that the dryer was taking multiple cycles to dry clothes.
I found the dryer vent tubing filled with water, causing it to sag. I removed
the water from the line and it operated fine. I checked a month later and the
line had refilled with water which I drained again. The dryer vent line is @
15 feet from dryer to outside exhaust. The vent line runs along the outer wall
of the house. Could this be causing the water condensing issue????

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...r-1116665-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 21:44:01 -0000, Concerned landlord m wrote:

My Tenant complained that the dryer was taking multiple cycles to dry clothes.
I found the dryer vent tubing filled with water, causing it to sag. I removed
the water from the line and it operated fine. I checked a month later and the
line had refilled with water which I drained again. The dryer vent line is @
15 feet from dryer to outside exhaust. The vent line runs along the outer wall
of the house. Could this be causing the water condensing issue????

Well it's full of steam, it's going to get wet. Make sure it slopes slightly downhill, or if you can't, perhaps make a small hole in the middle and let it drain into something?

--
How does an Italian get into an honest business?
Through the skylight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

My Tenant complained that the dryer was taking multiple cycles to dry clothes.
I found the dryer vent tubing filled with water, causing it to sag. I removed
the water from the line and it operated fine. I checked a month later and the
line had refilled with water which I drained again. The dryer vent line is @
15 feet from dryer to outside exhaust. The vent line runs along the outer wall
of the house. Could this be causing the water condensing issue????

Maybe, maybe not. We don't know the habits of the tenant, if they
overload the dryer or the condition of the vent line, if the line is
inside the wall or how the washer spin cycle works to extract water
after the wash.

You will not see this reply. Sorry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2016 3:44 PM, Concerned landlord wrote:
My Tenant complained that the dryer was taking multiple cycles to dry
clothes.
I found the dryer vent tubing filled with water, causing it to sag. I
removed
the water from the line and it operated fine. I checked a month later
and the
line had refilled with water which I drained again. The dryer vent line
is @
15 feet from dryer to outside exhaust. The vent line runs along the
outer wall
of the house. Could this be causing the water condensing issue????

If the vent line is sagging it will eventually cause water to pool and
fill up. Sounds as if this is the flexible line. Suggest replace it
with solid duct work and pitch it toward the outside outlet (vent).
This should solve any problems not and in the future.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2016 4:44 PM, Concerned landlord wrote:
My Tenant complained that the dryer was taking multiple cycles to dry clothes.
I found the dryer vent tubing filled with water, causing it to sag. I removed
the water from the line and it operated fine. I checked a month later and the
line had refilled with water which I drained again. The dryer vent line is @
15 feet from dryer to outside exhaust. The vent line runs along the outer wall
of the house. Could this be causing the water condensing issue????

When you get tired of ****ing with it, rip that flexible vent duct crap out and throw it in the trash (where it belongs).

Use rigid aluminum duct and aluminum elbows like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lambro-4-in...t-Pipe/3166649

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lambro-4-in...-Elbow/3351542

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

My Tenant complained that the dryer was taking multiple cycles to dry clothes.
I found the dryer vent tubing filled with water, causing it to sag. I removed
the water from the line and it operated fine. I checked a month later and the
line had refilled with water which I drained again. The dryer vent line is @
15 feet from dryer to outside exhaust. The vent line runs along the outer wall
of the house. Could this be causing the water condensing issue????

First of all NEVER use flexible "ducting" for a dryer!!!!. Second,
run the vertical high enough that the horizontal run actually runs
downhill. That way no condensation can ever build up in the ductwork.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 14:09:38 -0800
Oren wrote:

You will not see this reply. Sorry.

No you are not or you would not have mentioned it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 21:52:49 -0000
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote:

perhaps make a small hole in the middle and let it drain into
something?

Typical Brit......LMAO!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In roups.com,
Concerned landlord m
typed:
My Tenant complained that the dryer was taking multiple cycles to dry
clothes. I found the dryer vent tubing filled with water, causing it
to sag. I removed the water from the line and it operated fine. I
checked a month later and the line had refilled with water which I
drained again. The dryer vent line is @ 15 feet from dryer to outside
exhaust. The vent line runs along the outer wall of the house. Could
this be causing the water condensing issue????

I agree with some of the other suggestions, such as using rigid ducts
instead of flexible ducts, etc.

If you mean that the existing venting duct work runs along an outside wall,
but it is inside the house, I doubt that there would be condensation in the
duct due to the location of the duct work. Even if the location of the duct
work along the outside wall is in an unheated part of the house, I doubt
that the temperature would be so low there that condensation would form.

Make sure that you verified that there truly is good air flow coming out of
the dryer vent when the dryer is operating. I suspect that you may have a
problem with the dryer itself -- and specifically, the dryer blower housing
fan. In other words, if the dryer blower isn't blowing the hot air out of
the dryer properly, the air flow will be so slow that condensation will
build up in the line. And, of course, the dryer will take a very long time
to dry clothes.

I recently had a problem with a dryer that was taking too long to dry
clothes. It turned out that the dryer blower fan was not working. It had
power and the blower motor was spinning, but the fan "fins" were not
turning, so no air was being forced out of the dryer. In my case, it turned
out that the problem existed for a very long time before anyone said
anything. When I checked the dryer, the vent was full of wet lint -- yuck,
a big mess.

I usually don't try to fix washers and dryers on my own since I don't know a
lot about doing those types of repairs. But, this time, I decided to take a
shot at it and I was able to fix it myself.

First, as I always do, I went to http://repairclinic.com . Then I clicked
on "Repair Help" and I entered my dryer model number etc. I learned what
the problem may be and how to check for that. In my case, it was a
Frigidaire dryer that needed a new dryer blower housing assembly. I bought
the part locally, but I used the following repairclinic.com repair video to
do the job, and that solved the problem:
https://youtu.be/rJufdn6BHbw?t=23 .

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My Tenant complained that the dryer was taking multiple cycles to dry clothes.
I found the dryer vent tubing filled with water, causing it to sag. I removed
the water from the line and it operated fine. I checked a month later and the
line had refilled with water which I drained again. The dryer vent line is @
15 feet from dryer to outside exhaust. The vent line runs along the outer wall
of the house. Could this be causing the water condensing issue????

When I moved into my house years ago I noticed a similar problem. My laundry is on the second floor and the dryer duct goes through the attic. One day while using the dryer when it was exceptionally cold outside, I noticed water dripping down from the ceiling where the dryer duct penetrated. I went up in the attic and found water in the dryer duct. This is all steel rigid duct, not flex. I cleaned all of the wet lint out of the duct and also cleaned the outside vent cap. I insulated the dryer air duct with duct wrap insulation and never had that problem again.

I would check your outside vent cap to make sure that it is loose enough to open when there is air pressure. Also get rid of the flexible duct and use rigid for the bulk of the run. Home Depot sells small rolls of duct wrap insulation and metal foil tape.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would check your outside vent cap to make sure that it is loose enough to open when there is air pressure. Also get rid of the flexible duct and use rigid for the bulk of the run. Home Depot sells small rolls of duct wrap insulation and metal foil tape.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

I don't see what good sloping the duct would do, there will still be a low spot and water will still collect there.

Maybe the tenant needs to let the dryer run longer at the end of the cycle when the clothes are almost completely dry so any water that collects in the duct can be evaporated and expelled.

And route the duct not so close to the cold outside wall?

Does the problem occur in summer as well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
typed:
I would check your outside vent cap to make sure that it is loose
enough to open when there is air pressure. Also get rid of the
flexible duct and use rigid for the bulk of the run. Home Depot
sells small rolls of duct wrap insulation and metal foil tape.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Maybe the tenant needs to let the dryer run longer at the end of the
cycle when the clothes are almost completely dry so any water that
collects in the duct can be evaporated and expelled.

That point makes me think that the problem is not condensation allegedly due
to the dryer duct being along an outside wall (unknown if on the INSIDE of
the outside wall or on the OUTSIDE of the outside wall). I just think that
water vapor condensing on the inside of the duct is unlikely to happen under
these circumstances, especially since the at the end of every drying cycle
it is virtually dry (not moist) air that is being pumped through the duct.
And, as you mentioned, that would dry out any alleged condensation inside
the pipe. Another test would be to simple run the dryer for about 5 minutes
on high heat with no clothes in the dryer and see what happens.

And route the duct not so close to the cold outside wall?

It doesn't matter, in my opinion. I doubt that is the problem.

Does the problem occur in summer as well?

Good question. I would bet that it does. And, I would be that the
underlying problem is an air flow problem, maybe due to a defective blower
fan in the dryer, or a blocked or stuck-closed vent cap.

In my case, the problem existed during the summer -- although the occupant
never told me that the problem was going on for at least several months.
And, during the summer when I checked, the duct was full of soaking wet
lint -- all due to no air flow, due to the blower fan not working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 5:00:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I would check your outside vent cap to make sure that it is loose enough to open when there is air pressure. Also get rid of the flexible duct and use rigid for the bulk of the run. Home Depot sells small rolls of duct wrap insulation and metal foil tape.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

I don't see what good sloping the duct would do, there will still be a low spot and water will still collect there.

The idea is for it to slope all the way to the end, where any
condensation will run out. It would need to be sheet metal, not
the vinyl flex stuff. It also would depend on what's on the end
of it. Presumably there is one of those vent covers with louvers.
He'd have to make sure that somehow allows water to trickle out,
instead of backing up.

It's not clear if it's in an outside wall or really outside the
house. The latter though would not seem to make sense.

Maybe the tenant needs to let the dryer run longer at the end of the cycle when the clothes are almost completely dry so any water that collects in the duct can be evaporated and expelled.

And route the duct not so close to the cold outside wall?

Does the problem occur in summer as well?

That's a good question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2016 1:44 PM, Concerned landlord wrote:
My Tenant complained that the dryer was taking multiple cycles to dry
clothes.
I found the dryer vent tubing filled with water, causing it to sag. I
removed
the water from the line and it operated fine. I checked a month later
and the
line had refilled with water which I drained again. The dryer vent line
is @
15 feet from dryer to outside exhaust. The vent line runs along the
outer wall
of the house. Could this be causing the water condensing issue????

The issue here is not one of condensation, but of stupidity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The issue here is not one of condensation, but of stupidity.

well that could be true.

it could simply be rain water leaking in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to TomR, Clueless wrote:
My outside dryer vent only fills with water when it rains and I can't figure
out why this happens, help¯—

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1116665-.htm

Dryer vent hose is filling up with water! Mitch Home Repair 48 September 16th 20 06:30 PM
Filling in the hole left by a tumbler drier vent Colin Eberhardt UK diy 7 May 29th 09 04:34 PM
Filling Tumble Dryer Vent AJ UK diy 3 December 3rd 08 10:35 PM
Power Vent on Direct Vent Water Heater JB Home Repair 3 January 10th 06 11:35 AM
new Maytag dryer clogs dryer vent shedmeister Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 09:40 PM