Posted to alt.home.repair
John G[_8_] John G[_8_] is offline

Default DRYER VENT HOUSE IS FILLING WITH WATER.

My Tenant complained that the dryer was taking multiple cycles to dry clothes.
I found the dryer vent tubing filled with water, causing it to sag. I removed
the water from the line and it operated fine. I checked a month later and the
line had refilled with water which I drained again. The dryer vent line is @
15 feet from dryer to outside exhaust. The vent line runs along the outer wall
of the house. Could this be causing the water condensing issue????

When I moved into my house years ago I noticed a similar problem. My laundry is on the second floor and the dryer duct goes through the attic. One day while using the dryer when it was exceptionally cold outside, I noticed water dripping down from the ceiling where the dryer duct penetrated. I went up in the attic and found water in the dryer duct. This is all steel rigid duct, not flex. I cleaned all of the wet lint out of the duct and also cleaned the outside vent cap. I insulated the dryer air duct with duct wrap insulation and never had that problem again.

I would check your outside vent cap to make sure that it is loose enough to open when there is air pressure. Also get rid of the flexible duct and use rigid for the bulk of the run. Home Depot sells small rolls of duct wrap insulation and metal foil tape.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV