Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filling in the hole left by a tumbler drier vent

Hi All,

I need to fill in the hole left by a tumble drier vent, i.e. a
circular hole a few inches across from the interior to the exterior of
the house. I know that you can get expanding foam fillers that would
probably do the trick, however, I was wondering if there was anything
that gives a better cosmetic effect externally?

Thanks,
Colin E.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Colin Eberhardt writes:
Hi All,

I need to fill in the hole left by a tumble drier vent, i.e. a
circular hole a few inches across from the interior to the exterior of
the house. I know that you can get expanding foam fillers that would
probably do the trick, however, I was wondering if there was anything
that gives a better cosmetic effect externally?

What's the wall construction and external finish?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 28, 8:14*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Colin *Eberhardt writes:

Hi All,

I need to fill in the hole left by a tumble drier vent, i.e. a
circular hole a few inches across from the interior to the exterior of
the house. I know that you can get expanding foam fillers that would
probably do the trick, however, I was wondering if there was anything
that gives a better cosmetic effect externally?

What's the wall construction and external finish?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Hi,

It is a cavity wall. Red brick externally, internally I think it is
breeze-block and plasterboard.

Colin E.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Eberhardt" wrote in message
On May 28, 8:14 am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article
,
Colin Eberhardt writes:

Hi All,

I need to fill in the hole left by a tumble drier vent, i.e. a
circular hole a few inches across from the interior to the exterior of
the house. I know that you can get expanding foam fillers that would
probably do the trick, however, I was wondering if there was anything
that gives a better cosmetic effect externally?

What's the wall construction and external finish?

--
Andrew Gabriel

-Hi,

-It is a cavity wall. Red brick externally, internally I think it is
-breeze-block and plasterboard.

Bricks then "to give a better finish externally".

Personally I would call it cavity ventilation and put a dark brown grille
over it.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Colin E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 28, 12:15*pm, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"Colin Eberhardt" wrote in message

On May 28, 8:14 am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

In article
,
Colin Eberhardt writes:

Hi All,

I need to fill in the hole left by a tumble drier vent, i.e. a
circular hole a few inches across from the interior to the exterior of
the house. I know that you can get expanding foam fillers that would
probably do the trick, however, I was wondering if there was anything
that gives a better cosmetic effect externally?

What's the wall construction and external finish?

--
Andrew Gabriel

-Hi,

-It is a cavity wall. Red brick externally, internally I think it is
-breeze-block and plasterboard.

Bricks then "to give a better finish externally".

Personally I would call it cavity ventilation and put a dark brown grille
over it.

I like that idea - a Grille would look much better than expanded
foam!

Thanks,
Colin E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Colin Eberhardt wrote:
On May 28, 8:14 am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
Colin Eberhardt writes:

Hi All,

I need to fill in the hole left by a tumble drier vent, i.e. a
circular hole a few inches across from the interior to the exterior
of the house. I know that you can get expanding foam fillers that
would probably do the trick, however, I was wondering if there was
anything that gives a better cosmetic effect externally?

What's the wall construction and external finish?

It is a cavity wall. Red brick externally, internally I think it is
breeze-block and plasterboard.

Obtain some matching red bricks, cut out the 'half' bricks around the
hole and make good with complete ones.

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Eberhardt wrote:
On May 28, 12:15 pm, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"Colin Eberhardt" wrote in message

On May 28, 8:14 am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

In article
,
Colin Eberhardt writes:
[...]

That stuff also degrades in light, so wouldn't be suitable for the
outside faces of the walls anyway.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Eberhardt" wrote in message
Hi All,

I need to fill in the hole left by a tumble drier vent, i.e. a
circular hole a few inches across from the interior to the exterior of
the house. I know that you can get expanding foam fillers that would
probably do the trick, however, I was wondering if there was anything
that gives a better cosmetic effect externally?

I have filled two external holes in my house left by garage drier outlet and
other from moved kitchen extractor.

For the drier vent I carefully cut out the cut 1/2 bricks and replaced with
whole bricks I had left over from conservatory build. Was OK but the cement
used in house build was coloured yellow (FebTone Yellow) and mine wasn't,
doesn't show too much as at ground level. I didn't really fancy paying £12
for 1kg of yellow colouring for such a small amount of brickwork. The inner
breeze block wall I cemented in the half bricks I cut out from outside.
Inner wall was in garage and once painted white to match rest of wall
doesn't really show.

The kitchen vent I just changed to a low profile brown vent plate as I had
no more bricks left, no yellow cement and would be visible. Internally it
was filled with expanding foam by the kitchen fitters, plastered over and is
now behind a cupboard.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4116 (20090529) __________

http://www.eset.com