Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Filling hole in wall

I need to fill a 3/8 " hole I put in the wall.

I'm pretty new at these things...I had thought the walls were plaster
(house is a brick colonial built in 1948), but there are no laths, and
looking closely at a couple places in the house where there are larger
openings in the wall, it looks something like 2 layers of drywall,
totaling about an inch thick.

Looking online and in a DIY drywall book, seems like the hole is small
enough that I could try filling it with joint compound and then (I
guess...really new at this stuff) putting drywall tape/mesh on top of
that.

Does that sound reasonable?

I want the patch to be reasonably strong, because SWMBO is insisting
that we hang a picture there. (That's where the 3/8" hole came
from...don't ask.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 9:55*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
I need to fill a 3/8 " hole I put in the wall.

I'm pretty new at these things...I had thought the walls were plaster
(house is a brick colonial built in 1948), but there are no laths, and
looking closely at a couple places in the house where there are larger
openings in the wall, it looks something like 2 layers of drywall,
totaling about an inch thick.

Looking online and in a DIY drywall book, seems like the hole is small
enough that I could try filling it with joint compound and then (I
guess...really new at this stuff) putting drywall tape/mesh on top of
that.

Does that sound reasonable?

I want the patch to be reasonably strong, because SWMBO is insisting
that we hang a picture there. *(That's where the 3/8" hole came
from...don't ask.)

Either the picture will cover the hole, or, with a long enough nail (or 3/8"
dowell) you can hang the picture using the hole.

One light-in-the-leathers TV redecorating host recommends toothpaste for
hole-filling. 'Course he probably uses toothpaste for any number of
unspeakable things...- Hide quoted text -

The patch won't be strong enough to hold anything much bigger than a
postcard. Use two hangers, one on each side of the mistaken hole or
you will be picking up the picture from the floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I need to fill a 3/8 " hole I put in the wall.

I'm pretty new at these things...I had thought the walls were plaster
(house is a brick colonial built in 1948), but there are no laths, and
looking closely at a couple places in the house where there are larger
openings in the wall, it looks something like 2 layers of drywall,
totaling about an inch thick.

Looking online and in a DIY drywall book, seems like the hole is small
enough that I could try filling it with joint compound and then (I
guess...really new at this stuff) putting drywall tape/mesh on top of
that.

Does that sound reasonable?

I want the patch to be reasonably strong, because SWMBO is insisting
that we hang a picture there. (That's where the 3/8" hole came
from...don't ask.)

Use the hole you already have, a toggle bolt and a molly hook. Adjust the
wire slightly if needed to achieve the right height.
Hang anything you like up to about 65 pounds and forget the patch.

A picture from a random site:
http://www.macsim.com.au/Products/An...ility_hook.php

Molly hooks are sold at all real hardware stores. You might find them at
the BORG.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I need to fill a 3/8 " hole I put in the wall.

I'm pretty new at these things...I had thought the walls were plaster
(house is a brick colonial built in 1948), but there are no laths, and
looking closely at a couple places in the house where there are larger
openings in the wall, it looks something like 2 layers of drywall,
totaling about an inch thick.

Looking online and in a DIY drywall book, seems like the hole is small
enough that I could try filling it with joint compound and then (I
guess...really new at this stuff) putting drywall tape/mesh on top of
that.

Does that sound reasonable?

I want the patch to be reasonably strong, because SWMBO is insisting
that we hang a picture there. (That's where the 3/8" hole came
from...don't ask.)

Install an expanding plastic plug that uses a screw to expand it. Leave a
bit of the screw head exposed to hook the picture frame wire on. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

One light-in-the-leathers TV redecorating host recommends toothpaste
for hole-filling. 'Course he probably uses toothpaste for any number
of unspeakable things...

Toothpaste to patch holes in wall? The first (and only) time I ever
heard that was from the lips of my erstwhile white-trash redneck
girlfriend, many years ago. It still has bad associations to this day.

I swear I heard it. He even mentioned it might be possible to match the
colors!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Toothpaste to patch holes in wall? The first (and only) time I ever
heard that was from the lips of my erstwhile white-trash redneck
girlfriend, many years ago. It still has bad associations to this day.

Toothpaste has many uses. When I was a teenager I worked in an aging,
dirty, poorly lit factory, with about 150 others, making refrigerators
for sale to the military. They only came in one color, white. Sale price
was about double what a civilian would have paid at Sears for an
equivalent model.

Anyway, I got the naked cabinets fresh from the paint shop and put in
the first part, which was the heating coil that kept condensation from
forming on the outside. You know, the condensation that would form
because the insulation was too thin.

But my friend worked on the tail end of the line, packaging. Before they
went in the box, toothpaste was put on all the little scratches that had
accumulated along the way. The scratches became virtually impossible to
see, at least until the first time the fridge would get wiped down with
a damp sponge.