Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filling a hole in a ceiling

I need to fill a hole where a downlighter was in a (skimmed) plasterboard
ceiling where I don't have access to the back. It will be painted
afterwards. What's the best way for an invisible repair - it's in rather a
noticeable place. The skim is the pink stuff.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I need to fill a hole where a downlighter was in a (skimmed)
plasterboard ceiling where I don't have access to the back. It will
be painted afterwards. What's the best way for an invisible repair -
it's in rather a noticeable place. The skim is the pink stuff.

Get a short piece of wood & partly insert a screw halfway along. Poke into
hole & centralise. Pull down on screw to hold in place while you screw
through plasterboard either side of hole into wood. Remove partly inserted
screw.

Cut a circular piece from some scrap plasterboard as close as possible to
the hole in the ceiling.

Now screw plasterboard bit into wood. Fill around edges.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I need to fill a hole where a downlighter was in a (skimmed) plasterboard
ceiling where I don't have access to the back. It will be painted
afterwards. What's the best way for an invisible repair - it's in rather a
noticeable place. The skim is the pink stuff.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Can you put a smoke alarm over it? well it will be invisible won't it.;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:17:27 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Now screw plasterboard bit into wood. Fill around edges.

Or if you're clever/lazy just cut a circular blank, stick in with bit of
filler or solvent-free gripfill or whatever, hold in place with 3 fat
screws in the joint locking the blank into the hole till it's stuck, then
fill rest of join & make good.

--
John Stumbles

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:17:27 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Now screw plasterboard bit into wood. Fill around edges.

Or if you're clever/lazy just cut a circular blank, stick in with bit of
filler or solvent-free gripfill or whatever, hold in place with 3 fat
screws in the joint locking the blank into the hole till it's stuck, then
fill rest of join & make good.

Or if you are even lazier, stuff newspaper in the gap till you caint
stuff no mo, and skim..haven't you ever bought a second hand car?

They are made of newspaper and car body filler, and rust. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:18:05 UTC, Paul Matthews
wrote:

George wrote:
Can you put a smoke alarm over it? well it will be invisible won't it.;-)

Five smoke alarms in one room may look a little paranoid G

People often question the mere two in our living room!
http://www.diybanter.com

Filling a hole in a ceiling Andy Hall UK diy 0 January 18th 08 12:29 AM
Filling ceiling gaps Hank Home Repair 3 November 26th 06 12:43 AM
filling in overflow hole in acrylic bath sm_jamieson UK diy 14 May 28th 06 11:43 PM
My own stupid electrical question / filling hole in concrete floor bent Woodworking 21 March 17th 06 12:11 AM
Spackle, And Filling A Hole Question Robert11 Home Repair 8 March 18th 05 01:47 PM