Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long does it take a microwave oven to warm up?

On 3/28/2021 7:49 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 1:50:44 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 03:21:10 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 2:55:03 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

Thats not what cooking a hot dog is about. You cook the inside, stupid.
and you don't render that much fat out.

Hot dogs (at least in the U.S.) come fully cooked. One could eat
them cold out of the package if one wished.

Cindy Hamilton

Again you are just talking about heating something up.
You can eat steak right out of the package too but it tastes better if
you sear it on the outside and render some of the fat.

Yep. I always cook hotdogs on the grill. I like the exterior to be
a deep, dark, chocolatey brown.

Cindy Hamilton

Yes, and they should natural casing too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/28/2021 05:51 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 1:57:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I have one and I use it but I don't consider that cooking. It is just
heating stuff up. If all I have is a microwave, I can do stuff with it
but it is not my go to thing when I am actually cooking something.
Maybe I just take food more seriously than some folks. If you are
going to eat, it might as well be a treat. I like cooking.

I like cooking, but microwaving frozen green beans is about all they
deserve. Mind you, I'm in the "tender-crisp" camp, so there's not
much difference between nuking and cooking them on the stove.

Fully cooked green beans with bacon in them is a different thing
altogether. That requires the stovetop.

Enough bacon can even make dandelion greens edible. It's sort of like
using lutefisk as a delivery method for melted butter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 1:57:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I have one and I use it but I don't consider that cooking. It is just
heating stuff up. If all I have is a microwave, I can do stuff with it
but it is not my go to thing when I am actually cooking something.
Maybe I just take food more seriously than some folks. If you are
going to eat, it might as well be a treat. I like cooking.

I like cooking, but microwaving frozen
green beans is about all they deserve.

And much healthier than doing them in a saucepan on the stove top.

Mind you, I'm in the "tender-crisp" camp, so there's not much
difference between nuking and cooking them on the stove.

Fully cooked green beans with bacon in them is a
different thing altogether. That requires the stovetop.

Nope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 2:48:43 AM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-cook-rice/

How to Cook Brown Rice on the Stove

Brown rice still retains the bran and germ, so you need to use more
water and a longer cooking time than for white rice. Basic recipe:
Rinse one cup of rice in a strainer and put into a pot with 2 cups of
water. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer on very
low heat for 45 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before
serving. Get more recipes for brown rice

The directions on the bag say pretty much the same thing.

Doesn't take that long in a microwave, stupid.

Yeah what the **** do they know.

But not much less,

Bull****, half the time.

and with considerably more fiddling about:

Nope, much less because you dont have to watch
it during the simmer phase with the microwave.

Add 1 cup of brown rice and 3 cups of water to a microwave-safe dish
and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Reduce power to 50 percent

I do that phase medium low.

and microwave for 20 minutes. Let the rice stand for 5 minutes,
then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon melted butter or olive oil and
1 teaspoon of kosher salt and fluff with a fork.

So that's 25 minutes vs. 45 minutes.

So almost half the time.

Of course, nobody's standing around watching rice cook,

You have to in the simmer phase on the stove top to make
sure it doesnt boil over. You dont have to with the microwave.

so the rest of the meal can be prepared while the rice is cooking.

The curry doesnt take 45 mins, reheating it later in spades.

The extra 20 minutes doesn't make much difference, and the
stovetop doesn't require you to repeatedly mess around with the rice.

No messing around at all with the microwave, just weigh out the
water and rice on the digital scales. program the two phases at
once into the microwave, add the curry to the container you
microwave it in and eat it out of the container with a splayd.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splayd

No cleanup at all required, put the container
in the dishwasher when you have eaten it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 11:05:38 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Enough bacon can even make dandelion greens edible. It's sort of like
using lutefisk as a delivery method for melted butter.

You'd make a good housewife, senile gossip! G

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:08 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 04:08:46 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the sleepless trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 04:20:07 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bull****, half the time.

There's simply too much of it from you here every day, Mr. "There's no tide
in the Suez Canal"! LOL

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 1:20:19 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

You have to in the simmer phase on the stove top to make
sure it doesnt boil over. You dont have to with the microwave.

I know exactly where to set the gas burner under a pot of rice to
keep it at a simmer without boiling over.

so the rest of the meal can be prepared while the rice is cooking.

The curry doesnt take 45 mins, reheating it later in spades.

Some of us actually cook a new meal every evening.

The extra 20 minutes doesn't make much difference, and the
stovetop doesn't require you to repeatedly mess around with the rice.

No messing around at all with the microwave, just weigh out the
water and rice on the digital scales. program the two phases at
once into the microwave, add the curry to the container you
microwave it in and eat it out of the container with a splayd.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splayd

Looks like a shovel might work better for you.

No cleanup at all required, put the container
in the dishwasher when you have eaten it.

Just as I do with everything I generate when I really cook.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 18:23:58 -0000, wrote:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 05:15:02 +0000, Gbeans
wrote:

I still hear this myth being pushed. Food does NOT heat from the inside, it heats from the outside in. DUH!!

It heats any water molecules when they get passed through and start to vibrate faster. If the water content is mostly on the inside (like a pie) it would actually heat from the inside out. If not, it wouldn't heat from inside outwards.

The microwaves still act on the water molecules closest to the surface
first. The center will be cold long after the outside burns when you
cook on high. That is why they pulse the gun (temp control) and tell
you to let things rest. They are trying to get you to wait until
thermal conduction can even out the heating.
Best is to stir things you can and spread stuff out on the plate.

It's high time they replaced the microwave with something more suitable. Can't they adjust the frequency slightly so it's only partially absorbed by water, hence it would make it's way further in to the deeper water too?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 04:51:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 1:57:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I have one and I use it but I don't consider that cooking. It is just
heating stuff up. If all I have is a microwave, I can do stuff with it
but it is not my go to thing when I am actually cooking something.
Maybe I just take food more seriously than some folks. If you are
going to eat, it might as well be a treat. I like cooking.

I like cooking, but microwaving frozen green beans is about all they
deserve. Mind you, I'm in the "tender-crisp" camp, so there's not
much difference between nuking and cooking them on the stove.

Fully cooked green beans with bacon in them is a different thing
altogether. That requires the stovetop.

Cindy Hamilton

We go back and forth on the green beans. I either steam them with salt
and some spices or they get that southern "cook for several hours with
hog jowls" thing. I still prefer fresh when I can get them. The best
were from a lady I gave a kitchen worth of quartz counter tops to. She
gave me a huge bag of fresh produce picked that day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 04:56:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 2:48:43 AM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-cook-rice/

How to Cook Brown Rice on the Stove

Brown rice still retains the bran and germ, so you need to use more
water and a longer cooking time than for white rice. Basic recipe:
Rinse one cup of rice in a strainer and put into a pot with 2 cups of
water. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer on very
low heat for 45 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before
serving. Get more recipes for brown rice

The directions on the bag say pretty much the same thing.

Doesn't take that long in a microwave, stupid.
Yeah what the **** do they know.

But not much less, and with considerably more fiddling about:

Add 1 cup of brown rice and 3 cups of water to a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Reduce power to 50 percent and microwave for 20 minutes. Let the rice stand for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon melted butter or olive oil and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and fluff with a fork.

So that's 25 minutes vs. 45 minutes. Of course, nobody's standing around
watching rice cook, so the rest of the meal can be prepared while the
rice is cooking. The extra 20 minutes doesn't make much difference, and
the stovetop doesn't require you to repeatedly mess around with the rice.

Cindy Hamilton

The rice is usually going with other stuff I am making so it isn't an
issue. My wife will tolerate white rice with Chinese food so I will go
with the par boiled for that but usually rice is pretty far down the
list as object of the exercise. It is more of a garnish for me and she
just picks at it. If there is sweet and sour pork and stir fried
vegetables on the plate, who needs to fill up on rice? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 11:05:38 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 03/28/2021 05:51 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 1:57:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I have one and I use it but I don't consider that cooking. It is just
heating stuff up. If all I have is a microwave, I can do stuff with it
but it is not my go to thing when I am actually cooking something.
Maybe I just take food more seriously than some folks. If you are
going to eat, it might as well be a treat. I like cooking.

I like cooking, but microwaving frozen green beans is about all they
deserve. Mind you, I'm in the "tender-crisp" camp, so there's not
much difference between nuking and cooking them on the stove.

Fully cooked green beans with bacon in them is a different thing
altogether. That requires the stovetop.

Enough bacon can even make dandelion greens edible. It's sort of like
using lutefisk as a delivery method for melted butter.

Hog Jowl is better than regular bacon if you can get it. They have it
at the store here. I cut off the rind and most of the fat, then chop
up the rest, brown it, deglaze the pan (bourbon works great) and add
whatever you are cooking.
If you want to put on a show, flambe' the bourbon.
On a gas stove you don't really have a choice. Stand back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

You have to [watch it] in the simmer phase on the stove top to make
sure it doesnt boil over. You dont have to with the microwave.

I know exactly where to set the gas burner under a pot
of rice to keep it at a simmer without boiling over.

**** all know that so have to watch it.

No one has to watch it with a covered microwave container.

so the rest of the meal can be prepared while the rice is cooking.

The curry doesnt take 45 mins, reheating it later in spades.

Some of us actually cook a new meal every evening.

Only fools who live alone do that with curry.

Makes a lot more sense to cook a big batch, freeze it
in meal sized batches and add that to the freshly cooked
rice done in the microwave instead. Much less work.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

No cleanup at all required, put the container
in the dishwasher when you have eaten it.

Just as I do with everything I generate when I really cook.

Bull**** you do with a rice cooker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news

wrote:

[...]

Another fool that believes it can do better than the entire industry in
decades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Two Inseparable Trolling Resident Sociopaths together again!

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 06:45:06 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather

Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 12:48:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 03:19:46 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 1:32:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 02:36:14 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 12:42:43 AM UTC-4, wrote:

My wife makes oatmeal in the microwave but that is just boiling water.

Are you talking about instant oatmeal?
I suppose. The stuff in the little envelope.

That is instant oatmeal, which is pre-cooked.

I don't really eat
oatmeal except in cookies and that is old style Quaker Oats blended.
The "instant" is still is a 2-3 minute thing so I assumed that was
what you were talking about.

No. The quick oats where the cylindrical box says "1 minute".
It requires a full minute of boiling to cook.

Same with rice. Instant might be OK in the MW. You just boil the water
and add the rice, let it sit.
Real rice takes 45 minutes to an hour simmering to cook, no matter how
you do it so I am not sure what the microwave buys you.

???? It takes 20 minutes. White rice. Brown does take longer.

Cindy Hamilton

My wife is a brown rice person. She thinks anything white is evil. She
was even Keto for a while.

I knew a guy who had a girlfriend who used to say "everything white is bad'

he wrote a really funny (and well written) poem performance piece about it

he published it in a chapbook but i do not recall whether he ever put it on line

one part of the poem had her debating white versus brown rice

wonder if the stuck container ship will have an impact on rice availability in usa. Apparently we are in for a shortage of coffee and toilet paper. again

I also knew someone who was a freight ship captain as his career, he was married to a friend of mine, but I never heard the expression €œcontainers€ from him..

He died of a heart attack about 5 years ago.

She really liked their marriage arrangement because the job is 6 months on the ship/then 6months home.
So they spent a lot of time apart which she liked..

also while I am here talking about poetry, was so sad to hear Mums da Schemer died this week (last time I saw him was a very long time ago before he became a celebrity)

If you ever watched Oz on HBO, he was in it

RIP Mums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MuMs_da_Schemer

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Unlikely given that the USA grows its own rice and even
rice from SE asia doesnt get to the USA via the suez canal.

Apparently we are in for a shortage of coffee and toilet paper. again

Dont believe that given where they come from.

I also knew someone who was a freight ship captain
as his career, he was married to a friend of mine, but
I never heard the expression €œcontainers€ from him..

Plenty of freight still doesnt move in containers even now.

He died of a heart attack about 5 years ago.

She really liked their marriage arrangement because
the job is 6 months on the ship/then 6months home.
So they spent a lot of time apart which she liked..

Some have their wives on board, particularly the europeans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's high time they replaced the microwave with something more
suitable. Can't they adjust the frequency slightly so it's only
partially absorbed by water, hence it would make it's way further in to
the deeper water too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielec...ng#Penetration

Already done. The first company I worked for made dielectric heaters,
chiefly for the plastics industry. Most thermoset resins like the
phenolics respond well. Typically the units would operate around 100
MHz. That's in the middle of the US FM band but since the frequency
changed very slowly during the cycle it did not interfere. We kept one
of the smaller models in the engineering lab. It did wonders for day old
goods from the bakery down the street.

In a classic case of missing the boat, the company did experiment with
some large microwaves that were placed in several of the local
restaurants. However they never saw them as a consumer product. Our
product was similar to Raytheon's RadaRange, a massive beast.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rocbolt/8369028835/

Raytheon bought Amana in '65 and the first consumer microwaves came out
in '67 but like the early personal computers they didn't take off for a
few years. There was a mythology similar to 5G; either the microwaves
would sterilize you or make you incredibly fertile, take your pick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/28/2021 02:46 PM, marika wrote:
I knew a guy who had a girlfriend who used to say "everything white is bad'

She was well before her time.

wonder if the stuck container ship will have an impact on rice availability in usa. Apparently we are in for a shortage of coffee and toilet paper. again

The US exports about 3.5 metric tons of rice out of a total production
of 10.2 million metric tons in 2018. Direct consumption is around 4.2
million metric tons with a lot being used for beer and other products.

The US does import rice, mostly jasmine from Thailand as basmati from
India and Pakistan. Unless the ship is really lost those wouldn't go
through Suez.

I also knew someone who was a freight ship captain as his career, he was married to a friend of mine, but I never heard the expression €œcontainers€ from him..

My brother-in-law was a merchant seaman with captains papers although he
never sailed as captain. The vast majority of ships today are not US
flagged and the US maritime fleet has declined to the point where the
MM&P union was only allowing its members to sail 6 months a year in an
attempt to spread the work around.

Anyway, even in the early '70d he was sailing on container ships. That
sort of put the end to the romantic see the world thing since what you
mostly saw was a container port for a few hours in the middle of the
night when they swapped your containers and then you were gone again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 19:57:39 -0600, rbowman

[...]

Mine came from Monkey Wards around 71/72. I think I got it for
Christmas 71. It was pretty expensive as I recall. It is still working
tho.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 20:23:06 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

[...]

I dated a girl in the 60s from Chicago who worked for this new company
named SeaLand that was going to revolutionize the shipping industry by
using containers that came in on ships and dropped on an 18 wheeler
trailer to go to the final destination. Within 10 years that seemed to
be how all international cargo was moved. I should have put my beer
money in that stock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2021 10:23 PM, rbowman wrote:

The US exports about 3.5 metric tons of rice out of a total production
of 10.2 million metric tons in 2018. Direct consumption is around 4.2
million metric tons with a lot being used for beer and other products.

The US does import rice, mostly jasmine from Thailand as basmati from
India and Pakistan. Unless the ship is really lost those wouldn't go
through Suez.

History Channel has a bunch of Modern Marvels today and one was about
rice. They showed the Uncle Ben plant where they process 32,000 pounds
an hour. Each kernel of rice is checked by camera and the bad ones
ejected by a blast of air.

Anyway, even in the early '70d he was sailing on container ships. That
sort of put the end to the romantic see the world thing since what you
mostly saw was a container port for a few hours in the middle of the
night when they swapped your containers and then you were gone again.

He was just on the wrong ships. Some will stop for a week in places so
you can study the local history, visit the Pyramids and such.

Last I heard over 300 ships backed up. I wonder what the cost is to go
around instead.

The toll to go through the canal is calculated on tonnage and varies
nort and south, mooring and tugs if required.

Tolls can be a couple hundred thousand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I got my National at about the same time. Still working
fine except for the turntable which only failed recently,
works fine without it. Easy fix just havent got around to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 03:22:38 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 7:49:11 PM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:

Who cooks rice on a stove? Are you some kind of Neanderthal? Get a rice
cooker already. Billions of Asians can't be wrong.

Billions of Asians eat a lot of rice at every meal.

The amount of rice eaten during a meal seems entirely normal to me. It's
typically about an ice cream scoop.

Rice cookers are terrible at cooking two small servings.

Actually, they're not. Start with a small rice cooker, then don't max it
out. Now you have two small servings.

I'll stick to the stovetop.

Cool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 20:23:06 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

The US exports about 3.5 metric tons of rice out of a total production
of 10.2 million metric tons in 2018. Direct consumption is around 4.2
million metric tons with a lot being used for beer and other products.

The US does import rice, mostly jasmine from Thailand as basmati from
India and Pakistan. Unless the ship is really lost those wouldn't go
through Suez.

Oh, it's about rice now, senile blabbermouth? LOL

I also knew someone who was a freight ship captain as his career, he was married to a friend of mine, but I never heard the expression ´containers¡ from him..

My brother-in-law was a merchant seaman with captains papers although he
never sailed as captain. The vast majority of ships today are not US
flagged and the US maritime fleet has declined to the point where the
MM&P union was only allowing its members to sail 6 months a year in an
attempt to spread the work around.

Anyway, even in the early '70d he was sailing on container ships. That
sort of put the end to the romantic see the world thing since what you
mostly saw was a container port for a few hours in the middle of the
night when they swapped your containers and then you were gone again.

And thanks for THAT gratuitous story again, senile gossip! LMAO

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 19:57:39 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Already done. The first company I worked for made dielectric heaters,

Let me guess, they sacked you because you got on everybody's nerve with your
slick babbling and endless gossiping!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 14:41:23 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I got my National at about the same time. Still working
fine except for the turntable which only failed recently,
works fine without it. Easy fix just havent got around to it.

Ahem! NOBODY talked to you or asked you anything, obnoxious senile Ozzie
troll! snicker

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 3:42:06 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

You have to [watch it] in the simmer phase on the stove top to make
sure it doesnt boil over. You dont have to with the microwave.

I know exactly where to set the gas burner under a pot
of rice to keep it at a simmer without boiling over.

**** all know that so have to watch it.

Last time I checked, I wasn't "**** all". Yep. Driver's license
says I'm Cindy Hamilton.

No one has to watch it with a covered microwave container.
so the rest of the meal can be prepared while the rice is cooking.

The curry doesnt take 45 mins, reheating it later in spades.

Some of us actually cook a new meal every evening.

Only fools who live alone do that with curry.

I don't live alone, and I don't subsist on curry.

No cleanup at all required, put the container
in the dishwasher when you have eaten it.

Just as I do with everything I generate when I really cook.

Bull**** you do with a rice cooker.

What rice cooker? I use a stainless steel pan on the stove,
then it goes in the dishwasher.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/21 10:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
History Channel has a bunch of Modern Marvels today and one was about rice.Â* They showed the Uncle Ben plant where they process 32,000 pounds an hour.

How come Aunt Jemima was fired but Uncle Ben was not?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/28/2021 08:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Anyway, even in the early '70d he was sailing on container ships. That
sort of put the end to the romantic see the world thing since what you
mostly saw was a container port for a few hours in the middle of the
night when they swapped your containers and then you were gone again.

He was just on the wrong ships. Some will stop for a week in places so
you can study the local history, visit the Pyramids and such.

He had one voyage where he got some time in port in India, but in the
'70s you took what you could get, including Great Lakes runs. It hasn't
improved. In high school I was interested in the merchant marine, the
engine, rather than the deck department. Fortunately I took another path.

I believe I mentioned in another post that the northeast is heavily
dependent on LNG. The US has plenty -- in Texas. However the 1920 Jones
Act requires cargoes being transported between US ports to be carried on
US flagged vessels. afaik I know there are no US flagged LNG tankers so
the north east buys their LNG from Russia while the US tries to shove
its LNG down the German's throats.

The Jones Act is one of those things that sounded good at the time but
did nothing to preserve the US maritime industry and had unintended
consequences.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/29/2021 04:57 AM, Pinocchio Psaki wrote:
On 3/28/21 10:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
History Channel has a bunch of Modern Marvels today and one was about
rice. They showed the Uncle Ben plant where they process 32,000
pounds an hour.

How come Aunt Jemima was fired but Uncle Ben was not?

Ben was lucky; they changed the name to Ben's Original or he would be an
other elderly black living in the ghetto on a inadequate SS check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/29/2021 03:34 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 3:42:06 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote
You have to [watch it] in the simmer phase on the stove top to make
sure it doesnt boil over. You dont have to with the microwave.
I know exactly where to set the gas burner under a pot
of rice to keep it at a simmer without boiling over.

**** all know that so have to watch it.

Last time I checked, I wasn't "**** all". Yep. Driver's license
says I'm Cindy Hamilton.

Except for a brief interlude with an electric range when I was married
I've been cooking with gas all my life and have gotten fairly competent.
I use a small cast iron pot for my rice and don't have a problem.

The electric range had a little wiring problem. I could lean against the
sink, reach over and pat my wife's butt as she was cooking and give her
a little trickle charge. I have no idea why she filed for divorce...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 9:54:52 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 03/29/2021 03:34 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 3:42:06 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote
You have to [watch it] in the simmer phase on the stove top to make
sure it doesnt boil over. You dont have to with the microwave.
I know exactly where to set the gas burner under a pot
of rice to keep it at a simmer without boiling over.
**** all know that so have to watch it.

Last time I checked, I wasn't "**** all". Yep. Driver's license
says I'm Cindy Hamilton.

Except for a brief interlude with an electric range when I was married
I've been cooking with gas all my life and have gotten fairly competent.
I use a small cast iron pot for my rice and don't have a problem.

Similar here. Our second house, which we only lived in for 3 years, had a drop-in
electric cooktop. Other than that, every kitchen I've owned has had a gas range.
I've had apartments with electric, but it's a poor cook who blames her tools. After
a brief adjustment period, it was easy to reliably turn out good meals. Although
I've always used two burners to cook rice on an electric stove: one to bring it
up to a boil and another to maintain the simmer. Those burners take an eternity
to cool down.

The electric range had a little wiring problem. I could lean against the
sink, reach over and pat my wife's butt as she was cooking and give her
a little trickle charge. I have no idea why she filed for divorce...

Gosh, either can I.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 7:49:11 PM UTC-4, Jim Joyce wrote:

Who cooks rice on a stove? Are you some kind of Neanderthal? Get a rice
cooker already. Billions of Asians can't be wrong.

Billions of Asians eat a lot of rice at every meal.

The amount of rice eaten during a meal seems entirely
normal to me. It's typically about an ice cream scoop.

That's mad. It's a lot more than that.

Rice cookers are terrible at cooking two small servings.

Actually, they're not. Start with a small rice cooker, then
don't max it out. Now you have two small servings.

No thanks, microwave is much better on every count.

I'll stick to the stovetop.

Cool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 2:08:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Not just the UK, I have one. It's 120V, about 1500 watts. It's perfect for
making coffee, tea, cocoa. I also use it when I'm going to boil water for something
like making spaghetti. I put half the water in a pot on the stove, half in
the electric kettle. Gets to boiling water in half the time.

They will correct you. The US caps anything with a 5-15 plug on it at
1440 watts but those 230v kettles are over 2kw and they go FAST.

Not sure who the "they" is. I just looked at the tag on the Breville electric
kettle sitting here. It says 1500W, right next to the UL listing. Would I prefer
that our homes used 240V instead of 120V so some small number of
appliances like this could benefit? Sure, but I don't think that's going to
happen.

The main "burners" on my stove are 2.6KW. If you cover the pot, it
boils the 3 or 4 quarts of water for spaghetti pretty fast. You do
need pans that contact the heat well. (slick top stove and flat bottom
pans)

And it gets there much faster with half in the electric kettle, which adds
another 1.5KW to the process.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Green beans cooked for several hours? What's left? Gray/Brown mush?

I still prefer fresh when I can get them. The best
were from a lady I gave a kitchen worth of quartz counter tops to. She
gave me a huge bag of fresh produce picked that day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 03:03:22 +1100, %%, better known as cantankerous

That's mad.

You know what's mad, you subnormal senile psychopathic swine? That's YOU
getting up EVERY NIGHT between 1 and 4 am in Australia, just so you have
someone to "talk" to on Usenet because EVERYONE in RL avoids, you obnoxious
senile cretin!

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 07:54:46 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Except for a brief interlude with an electric range when I was married
I've been cooking with gas all my life and have gotten fairly competent.
I use a small cast iron pot for my rice and don't have a problem.

The electric range had a little wiring problem. I could lean against the
sink, reach over and pat my wife's butt as she was cooking and give her
a little trickle charge. I have no idea why she filed for divorce...

Thrilling story again, senile gossip! VBG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 07:49:04 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Ben was lucky; they changed the name to Ben's Original or he would be an
other elderly black living in the ghetto on a inadequate SS check.

And the idiotic senile gossip continues...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 07:46:32 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

He had one voyage where he got some time in port in India, but in the
'70s you took what you could get, including Great Lakes runs. It hasn't
improved. In high school I was interested in the merchant marine, the
engine, rather than the deck department. Fortunately I took another path.

I believe I mentioned in another post that the northeast is heavily
dependent on LNG. The US has plenty -- in Texas. However the 1920 Jones
Act requires cargoes being transported between US ports to be carried on
US flagged vessels. afaik I know there are no US flagged LNG tankers so
the north east buys their LNG from Russia while the US tries to shove
its LNG down the German's throats.

The Jones Act is one of those things that sounded good at the time but
did nothing to preserve the US maritime industry and had unintended
consequences.

I believe I mentioned it already in another post what an endlessly driveling
and gossiping senile bigmouth you are.