Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long does it take a microwave oven to warm up?

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 02:57:39 +0100, rbowman wrote:

It's high time they replaced the microwave with something more
suitable. Can't they adjust the frequency slightly so it's only
partially absorbed by water, hence it would make it's way further in to
the deeper water too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielec...ng#Penetration

Already done. The first company I worked for made dielectric heaters,
chiefly for the plastics industry. Most thermoset resins like the
phenolics respond well. Typically the units would operate around 100
MHz. That's in the middle of the US FM band but since the frequency
changed very slowly during the cycle it did not interfere. We kept one
of the smaller models in the engineering lab. It did wonders for day old
goods from the bakery down the street.

In a classic case of missing the boat, the company did experiment with
some large microwaves that were placed in several of the local
restaurants. However they never saw them as a consumer product. Our
product was similar to Raytheon's RadaRange, a massive beast.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rocbolt/8369028835/

Raytheon bought Amana in '65 and the first consumer microwaves came out
in '67 but like the early personal computers they didn't take off for a
few years. There was a mythology similar to 5G; either the microwaves
would sterilize you or make you incredibly fertile, take your pick.

Assuming this is not patented or something, why has no company put it into their domestic oven? Panasonic could make a fortune. Evenly heated right through to the middle! Excellent selling point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 09:26:32 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 2:08:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Not just the UK, I have one. It's 120V, about 1500 watts. It's perfect for
making coffee, tea, cocoa. I also use it when I'm going to boil water for something
like making spaghetti. I put half the water in a pot on the stove, half in
the electric kettle. Gets to boiling water in half the time.

They will correct you. The US caps anything with a 5-15 plug on it at
1440 watts but those 230v kettles are over 2kw and they go FAST.

Not sure who the "they" is. I just looked at the tag on the Breville electric
kettle sitting here. It says 1500W, right next to the UL listing. Would I prefer
that our homes used 240V instead of 120V so some small number of
appliances like this could benefit? Sure, but I don't think that's going to
happen.

"They" are NEMA, NFPA and the labs. U/L (or any NRTL) does not certify
that the labeling is correct not even that it performs as advertised,
only that flame won't escape if it burns up.
They also insure a cord and plug connected piece of equipment will not
exceed 80% of the rating of the plug. 120x15x.8= 1440
The biggest liars are the ones who label hair dryers.

The main "burners" on my stove are 2.6KW. If you cover the pot, it
boils the 3 or 4 quarts of water for spaghetti pretty fast. You do
need pans that contact the heat well. (slick top stove and flat bottom
pans)

And it gets there much faster with half in the electric kettle, which adds
another 1.5KW to the process.

I am not in that big a hurry to boil the water. I have usually been
cooking the sauce for hours. An extra couple of minutes doesn't change
much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 09:30:49 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 3:00:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 04:51:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 1:57:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I have one and I use it but I don't consider that cooking. It is just
heating stuff up. If all I have is a microwave, I can do stuff with it
but it is not my go to thing when I am actually cooking something.
Maybe I just take food more seriously than some folks. If you are
going to eat, it might as well be a treat. I like cooking.

I like cooking, but microwaving frozen green beans is about all they
deserve. Mind you, I'm in the "tender-crisp" camp, so there's not
much difference between nuking and cooking them on the stove.

Fully cooked green beans with bacon in them is a different thing
altogether. That requires the stovetop.

Cindy Hamilton

We go back and forth on the green beans. I either steam them with salt
and some spices or they get that southern "cook for several hours with
hog jowls" thing.

Green beans cooked for several hours? What's left? Gray/Brown mush?

Good old greasy green beans that taste great as they clog your
arteries. It is a southern thing I guess.
They are not boiling for hours, just a slow simmer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If I can find my Kill-a-Watt, I'll measure it and see the actual.

The biggest liars are the ones who label hair dryers.
The main "burners" on my stove are 2.6KW. If you cover the pot, it
boils the 3 or 4 quarts of water for spaghetti pretty fast. You do
need pans that contact the heat well. (slick top stove and flat bottom
pans)

And it gets there much faster with half in the electric kettle, which adds
another 1.5KW to the process.

I am not in that big a hurry to boil the water. I have usually been
cooking the sauce for hours. An extra couple of minutes doesn't change
much.

First you bring up that my electric kettle is no good because the EU ones
are 2KW so they heat faster, now you say that you're in no hurry to boil water.
Go figure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We were talking about tea kettles. You went off into the weeds about
boiling pasta.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 10:54:59 -0700 (PDT), posted for all
of us to digest...

Looks like a shovel might work better for you.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa good one! He certainly shovels it here...

--
Tekkie