Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long does it take a microwave oven to warm up?

I still hear this myth being pushed. Food does NOT heat from the inside, it heats from the outside in. DUH!!

It heats any water molecules when they get passed through and start to vibrate faster. If the water content is mostly on the inside (like a pie) it would actually heat from the inside out. If not, it wouldn't heat from inside outwards.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...p-1116153-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 05:15:02 +0000, Gbeans
wrote:

I still hear this myth being pushed. Food does NOT heat from the inside, it heats from the outside in. DUH!!

It heats any water molecules when they get passed through and start to vibrate faster. If the water content is mostly on the inside (like a pie) it would actually heat from the inside out. If not, it wouldn't heat from inside outwards.

The microwaves still act on the water molecules closest to the surface
first. The center will be cold long after the outside burns when you
cook on high. That is why they pulse the gun (temp control) and tell
you to let things rest. They are trying to get you to wait until
thermal conduction can even out the heating.
Best is to stir things you can and spread stuff out on the plate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I still hear this myth being pushed. Food does NOT heat from the inside, it heats from the outside in. DUH!!

It heats any water molecules when they get passed through and start to vibrate faster. If the water content is mostly on the inside (like a pie) it would actually heat from the inside out. If not, it wouldn't heat from inside outwards.

The microwaves still act on the water molecules closest to the surface
first. The center will be cold long after the outside burns when you
cook on high.

Not if there is little water on the outside and plenty inside. It vibrates the water molecules.
More molecules, more heat. The poster has it right. That's also why you hear pops
from small explosions. They occur without the surface burning because there is some
localized heating inside that creates steam.

That is why they pulse the gun (temp control) and tell
you to let things rest. They are trying to get you to wait until
thermal conduction can even out the heating.
Best is to stir things you can and spread stuff out on the plate.

That is true.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's bull****.

That is why they pulse the gun (temp control) and tell
you to let things rest. They are trying to get you to wait
until thermal conduction can even out the heating.

More bull****.

Best is to stir things you can and spread stuff out on the plate.

No need to do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2021 2:57 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

I still hear this myth being pushed. Food does NOT heat from the
inside, it heats from the outside in. DUH!!

It heats any water molecules when they get passed through and start
to vibrate faster. If the water content is mostly on the inside (like
a pie) it would actually heat from the inside out. If not, it
wouldn't heat from inside outwards.

The microwaves still act on the water molecules closest
to the surface first. The center will be cold long after
the outside burns when you cook on high.

That's bull****.

That is why they pulse the gun (temp control) and tell
you to let things rest. They are trying to get you to wait
until thermal conduction can even out the heating.

More bull****.

Best is to stir things you can and spread stuff out on the plate.

No need to do that.

Greftwell is right in that the microwaves only penetrate about an inch
into the food. Depending on density, thickness, and composition things
heat differently. Sugar and fats heat faster than most other portions.

Resting improves the heating my letting conduction move the heat from
the outer portion in. Makes little difference on a slice of ham, makes
a big difference on a large ham. For best results, resting should be
roughly half the cooking time.

No, you do not HAVE to stir but you will be faster and more even
heating. Not so much if heating a cup of water for tea, big difference
heating a bowl or gravy.

When reheating most any cooked foods I use 50% power for best results.
Slice of bacon? Sure, let it rip 20 seconds. A portion of cold or
frozen lasagna? Lower power, longer time.

Look at the instructions on Stouffer's frozen lasagna and they state
time on high, then more time at half ower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I still hear this myth being pushed. Food does NOT heat from the inside, it heats from the outside in. DUH!!

It heats any water molecules when they get passed through and start to vibrate faster. If the water content is mostly on the inside (like a pie) it would actually heat from the inside out. If not, it wouldn't heat from inside outwards.

The microwaves still act on the water molecules closest to the surface
first. The center will be cold long after the outside burns when you
cook on high.

Not if there is little water on the outside and plenty inside. It vibrates the water molecules.
More molecules, more heat. The poster has it right. That's also why you hear pops
from small explosions. They occur without the surface burning because there is some
localized heating inside that creates steam.

The explosions are from pockets pretty close to the surface and happen
after the surface hardens. The inside is still cold.

That is why they pulse the gun (temp control) and tell
you to let things rest. They are trying to get you to wait until
thermal conduction can even out the heating.
Best is to stir things you can and spread stuff out on the plate.

That is true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heywood wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Depends on the food. The reality is that if you cook
a leg of lamb in the microwave, it doesnt end up
cold on the inside when you cook it on high.

Depending on density, thickness, and composition things heat differently.

Yes, but he didnt say that.

Sugar and fats heat faster than most other portions.

Resting improves the heating my letting conduction move the heat from the
outer portion in.

Yes, but something like a leg of lamb cooks fine without doing that.

Makes little difference on a slice of ham, makes a big difference on a
large ham.

No it doesnt.

For best results, resting should be roughly half the cooking time.

Thats bull**** too.

No, you do not HAVE to stir but you will be faster and more even heating.
Not so much if heating a cup of water for tea,

In fact you dont need to stir that at all, it stirs itself.

big difference heating a bowl or gravy.

More bull****.

When reheating most any cooked foods I use 50% power for best results.

I dont and it works fine without doing that.

Slice of bacon? Sure, let it rip 20 seconds. A portion of cold or frozen
lasagna? Lower power, longer time.

More bull****.

Look at the instructions on Stouffer's frozen lasagna and they state time
on high, then more time at half ower.

None of mine say anything like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 11:40:32 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It depends on the thickness. I believe another poster gave an example of a pie.
Microwaves will penetrate to the middle of a pie that's 2" thick. And when I put
a piece of pie in set on high, the top crust isn't burning before the whole thing
is steaming hot. If I put in a pint size container of tomato sauce that's in the
shape of a sour cream or yogurt container, that doesn't just melt from the top
and/or burn there either. Seems to melt from the top and sides first. Or how
about ice cream? I pop a pint in on high for 15 secs to warm it up to make it easy
to scoop. It pretty much softens the whole thing. I don't wind up with just
soft in the very top or a pool of liquid at the top and the rest still hard. It's
probably because the composition has significant air making it less dense
and the waves can penetrate deeper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 8:04:28 PM UTC-4, Heywood wrote:
[...]

Plenty of other frozen foods just give a time to cook it on high. Everything
from eggplant parm to vegetables When I thaw out cooked frozen foods that
I have prepared, then I put it on half power and monitor it. But that's more
because I'm heating it in a plastic container and the localized heating near the
plastic could soften it. The store bought foods have containers that can stand
the heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 8:40:45 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
Heywood wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Don't you mean leg of kangaroo? And who in their right mind would cook
a leg of lamb in a microwave? Good grief.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not to be pedantic but microwaves enter from all sides. If you didn't
have a tray in there and just set things on the metal can nothing
would get in the bottom but they are not made that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 06:13:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Who would "cook" anything in a microwave. They are meant just to heat
things up unless "cook" just means make it hot to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What alternate reality are you living in?

Cook - the art, science, and craft of using heat to prepare food for consumption
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thats because the crust doesnt absorb microwaves as
well as the body of the pie does because the crust doesnt
have as much water in it as the body of the pie does.

In fact thats one real problem with microwaves, you dont
get the nice crisp crust like you do in a conventional oven.

If I put in a pint size container of tomato sauce that's in the
shape of a sour cream or yogurt container, that doesn't just
melt from the top and/or burn there either. Seems to melt
from the top and sides first. Or how about ice cream?
I pop a pint in on high for 15 secs to warm it up to make
it easy to scoop. It pretty much softens the whole thing.
I don't wind up with just soft in the very top or a pool
of liquid at the top and the rest still hard.

Agree with all of that.

It's probably because the composition has significant air
making it less dense and the waves can penetrate deeper.

Yep, fretwells original is utterly mangled, as always with fretwell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

In fact almost all of them do. One ready meal I like comes in two
containers and you cook one for a while on high, them add the
other and cook the two of them on high, then mix the contents
of the smaller container into the larger container and eat it.

Everything from eggplant parm to vegetables When I thaw
out cooked frozen foods that I have prepared, then I put it
on half power and monitor it. But that's more because I'm
heating it in a plastic container and the localized heating
near the plastic could soften it.

I have never had the container softened by cooking on full power.

The store bought foods have containers that can stand the heat.

One of my neighbours regularly gives me a dinner in a takeaway
container and they microwave on full fine without any problem
with the container if for example it shows up after I have eaten
and I need to heat it ready to eat the next day.

I do cook rice in the microwave on both full and half power,
half power in the much longer second half, but that because
the added water just needs to be kept boiling in the much
longer second half. The much shorter first part is on full
power to get the water boiling in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nope, they dont fit in the microwave, ****wit.

And who in their right mind would
cook a leg of lamb in a microwave?

I dont, I use a conventional oven to get
the nice crisp outer on the leg of lamb.

The leg of lamb comment was an example
that disproves his claim, ****wit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I cook oatmeal in the microwave. Could the microwave make it any worse?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Anyone with even half a clue, thats who.

They are meant just to heat things up

More utterly mindless bull**** with stuff
like cakes, rice, sausages, stews etc etc etc.

unless "cook" just means make it hot to you.

Mindlessly silly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 04:18:09 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 04:25:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In other words "it tastes like **** but you can live on it".
I suppose there is no difference to some people between cooking a fine
meal from ingredients, not out of a can and nuking something in the
microwave.
No wonder we, as a nation, are so fat and spend so much on food.
We let ConAgra decide what we are going to eat, how much corn syrup,
salt and fat it has in it and let them package it for us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are just making oatmeal hot. Do you cook steaks in the microwave?
How about Beef Stroganoff or spaghetti sauce (not from a box, jar or
can)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 05:00:26 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

If you make real rice (not Uncle Ben's) or beef stew in the microwave,
I am glad I don't eat at your house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news

wrote:

[...]

Nope, tastes much better when cooked, most obviously
with a steak, potato, roast leg of lamb, rice etc etc etc.

I suppose there is no difference to some people
between cooking a fine meal from ingredients, not
out of a can and nuking something in the microwave.

Some things are actually better done in a microwave like frozen veg.

No wonder we, as a nation, are so fat and spend so much on food.

Even sillier than you usually manage and thats saying something.

We let ConAgra decide what we are going to eat, how much corn
syrup, salt and fat it has in it and let them package it for us.

Plenty still dont.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nope, you are actually cooking it, same with rice and potatoes.

Do you cook steaks in the microwave?

Some food gets a better result cooked in other ways.

How about Beef Stroganoff or spaghetti
sauce (not from a box, jar or can)

I do gravy in the microwave, not from a box, jar or can.

And always do frozen veg, rice etc in the microwave.

I dont eat oatmeal but would cook that in a microwave if I did.

I both roast potatoes and do whole potatoes in their jackets in the
microwave.

All are cooked, not just heated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 05:00:26 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Yes I do.

or beef stew in the microwave,
I am glad I don't eat at your house.

You have always been, and always will be, completely and
utterly irrelevant. Where you might or might not eat in spades.
And irrelevant to whether its cooked in the microwave too.

Real rice done in a microwave is just as good as in a rice
cooker or in a saucepan on the stove top and is a lot easier
to do than in a saucepan once you get the detail right.

Potatoes done in their jackets in the microwave
are better than boiled potatoes done in a saucepan,
no added water is used in the microwave.

Frozen veg is better in a microwave than a saucepan
too, again, no added water with the microwave.

You dont have a ****ing clue about cooking, or anything else either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So vegetables, eg broccoli or carrots cooked in a microwave are somehow no good?
But ones boiled in water or steamed on the range are? Potato baked in a microwave
is no good? Popcorn?

No wonder we, as a nation, are so fat and spend so much on food.
We let ConAgra decide what we are going to eat, how much corn syrup,
salt and fat it has in it and let them package it for us.

Now you're talking about frozen prepared foods, not cooking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 3/25/2021 5:20 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 16:54:06 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Who would "cook" anything in a microwave. They are meant just to heat
things up unless "cook" just means make it hot to you.

What alternate reality are you living in?

Cook - the art, science, and craft of using heat to prepare food for
consumption
In other words "it tastes like **** but you can live on it".
I suppose there is no difference to some people between cooking a fine
meal from ingredients, not out of a can and nuking something in the
microwave.

You're assuming that you can't cook a fine meal in the microwave.

You are, as usual, wrong.

Most people can't.

Most people cant cook a fine meal from scratch.

It takes a bit of technique to cook some items well.

Just as true of a conventional oven and stove.

With a barby in spades.

Back about 35 years an appliance store sold them and gave classes where
you cooked a full meal. My wife and I bought one and took the class a
couple of nights and yes, that beef roast was damned good.

Sure, some stuff still is best the normal methods

Yeah, particularly roast leg of lamb, steaks, chops etc.

but with proper preparation, using various power setting, you can do far
more than heat leftovers.

And some stuff like potatoes done in their jackets and
frozen veg are better in the microwave than other ways.

Of course you won't get crispy skin on your chicken but you can do amazing
things with boneless skinless parts.

And pies and sausage rolls and stuff like that
are much better in a conventional oven.

If you don't know how, it will be chunks of rubber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 14:37:31 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

So vegetables, eg broccoli or carrots cooked in a microwave are somehow no good?
But ones boiled in water or steamed on the range are? Potato baked in a microwave
is no good? Popcorn?

Popcorn is the only thing "cooked" in our microwave. Otherwise it's used to warm up
leftovers or coffee that's gone cool. I've heard that people cook meals in a microwave,
but we never tried that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So vegetables, eg broccoli or carrots cooked in a microwave are somehow no
good?
But ones boiled in water or steamed on the range are? Potato baked in a
microwave
is no good? Popcorn?

Popcorn is the only thing "cooked" in our microwave. Otherwise it's used
to warm up
leftovers or coffee that's gone cool. I've heard that people cook meals
in a microwave,
but we never tried that.

You should try doing the vegetables and potatoes in it unless you prefer
them raw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:05:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:19:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

You should try doing the vegetables and potatoes in it unless you prefer
them raw.

You should try shutting your stupid senile gob for some time, senile troll!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair
Gil Gil is offline

wrote:

[...]

Haven't tried the oatmeal have you? Otherwise you wouldn't say such a
stupid thing. Bacon also does well in the microwave.

Gil

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 07:44:21 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I am not taking food advice from a country that invented Vegimite.

You are still talking about heating things up. That is not to be
confused with browning meat in a pan, deglazing and recovering the
fond, adding your other ingredients and simmering it for a few hours,
then making a sauce. You can't duplicate that in a microwave.
I bet you cook ribs in the microwave too and add some liquid smoke.
Yummy.