Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swinging door wall

I will be enclosing my furnace soon and had the idea of building the
wall but with bi-fold doors to gain access. Now, I've been thinking more
of eliminating the bi-fold door idea and hinging the actual wall with
studs. I will be using metal studs (lighter) and thought about hinging
to the abutting stud and installing a roller on the bottom for easier
gliding on floor.

Anyone ever do something like that and can offer suggestions, tips,
tricks, etc.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 11/7/2016 2:05 PM, Meanie wrote:
I will be enclosing my furnace soon and had the idea of building the
wall but with bi-fold doors to gain access. Now, I've been thinking more
of eliminating the bi-fold door idea and hinging the actual wall with
studs. I will be using metal studs (lighter) and thought about hinging
to the abutting stud and installing a roller on the bottom for easier
gliding on floor.

Anyone ever do something like that and can offer suggestions, tips,
tricks, etc.

Thanks

I'm a stud.
Wot about it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 5:05:14 PM UTC-5, Meanie wrote:
I will be enclosing my furnace soon and had the idea of building the
wall but with bi-fold doors to gain access. Now, I've been thinking more
of eliminating the bi-fold door idea and hinging the actual wall with
studs. I will be using metal studs (lighter) and thought about hinging
to the abutting stud and installing a roller on the bottom for easier
gliding on floor.

Anyone ever do something like that and can offer suggestions, tips,
tricks, etc.

Thanks

You should be able to. Keep in mind strong hinges (3 reg door type or pivot), ceiling and swing clearances, proper ventilation, fire & noise insulation, accessibility, etc. I assume in a finished basement?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/16 4:05 PM, Meanie wrote:
I will be enclosing my furnace soon and had the idea of building the
wall but with bi-fold doors to gain access. Now, I've been thinking more
of eliminating the bi-fold door idea and hinging the actual wall with
studs. I will be using metal studs (lighter) and thought about hinging
to the abutting stud and installing a roller on the bottom for easier
gliding on floor.

Anyone ever do something like that and can offer suggestions, tips,
tricks, etc.

Thanks

Would a sliding door with some visible tracks be appropriate?
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sliding+door&FORM=HDRSC2

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 8:02:00 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/7/16 4:05 PM, Meanie wrote:
I will be enclosing my furnace soon and had the idea of building the
wall but with bi-fold doors to gain access. Now, I've been thinking more
of eliminating the bi-fold door idea and hinging the actual wall with
studs. I will be using metal studs (lighter) and thought about hinging
to the abutting stud and installing a roller on the bottom for easier
gliding on floor.

Anyone ever do something like that and can offer suggestions, tips,
tricks, etc.

Thanks

Would a sliding door with some visible tracks be appropriate?
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sliding+door&FORM=HDRSC2

....or a barn door:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...45&q=barn+door
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 17:05:05 -0500, Meanie wrote:

I will be enclosing my furnace soon and had the idea of building the
wall but with bi-fold doors to gain access. Now, I've been thinking more
of eliminating the bi-fold door idea and hinging the actual wall with
studs. I will be using metal studs (lighter) and thought about hinging
to the abutting stud and installing a roller on the bottom for easier
gliding on floor.

Anyone ever do something like that and can offer suggestions, tips,
tricks, etc.

Thanks

What flooring type would the "roller" travel on and what consequence
of wear an tear?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2016 8:01 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/7/16 4:05 PM, Meanie wrote:
I will be enclosing my furnace soon and had the idea of building the
wall but with bi-fold doors to gain access. Now, I've been thinking more
of eliminating the bi-fold door idea and hinging the actual wall with
studs. I will be using metal studs (lighter) and thought about hinging
to the abutting stud and installing a roller on the bottom for easier
gliding on floor.

Anyone ever do something like that and can offer suggestions, tips,
tricks, etc.

Thanks

Would a sliding door with some visible tracks be appropriate?
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sliding+door&FORM=HDRSC2

Has its potential. I kinda like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2016 11:05 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 17:05:05 -0500, Meanie wrote:

I will be enclosing my furnace soon and had the idea of building the
wall but with bi-fold doors to gain access. Now, I've been thinking more
of eliminating the bi-fold door idea and hinging the actual wall with
studs. I will be using metal studs (lighter) and thought about hinging
to the abutting stud and installing a roller on the bottom for easier
gliding on floor.

Anyone ever do something like that and can offer suggestions, tips,
tricks, etc.

Thanks

What flooring type would the "roller" travel on and what consequence
of wear an tear?

Floating engineered wood floor. Considering it would open only when
service is required, I see the issue of wear and tear a minor one. I'm
also thinking the caster/roller would be a non-marking hard rubber type.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 5:05:14 PM UTC-5, Meanie wrote:
I will be enclosing my furnace soon and had the idea of building the
wall but with bi-fold doors to gain access. Now, I've been thinking more
of eliminating the bi-fold door idea and hinging the actual wall with
studs. I will be using metal studs (lighter) and thought about hinging
to the abutting stud and installing a roller on the bottom for easier
gliding on floor.

Anyone ever do something like that and can offer suggestions, tips,
tricks, etc.

Thanks

Why bother? You only open that door twice a year. It doesn't need heavy duty hinges, rollers, locks, latches, etc. Just make a really light weight door and set it into the jamb manually. Put a couple of big suitcase style handles on it to lift it off when you need to get in. It doesn't really open, you just take it off and set it aside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 8:06:06 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
[...]

How do you know how often he'll open that door? I clean my filter once
a month.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 14:23:30 -0800, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote:
On 11/7/2016 2:05 PM, Meanie wrote:
I will be enclosing my furnace soon and had the idea of building the
wall but with bi-fold doors to gain access. Now, I've been thinking more
of eliminating the bi-fold door idea and hinging the actual wall with
studs. I will be using metal studs (lighter) and thought about hinging
to the abutting stud and installing a roller on the bottom for easier
gliding on floor.

Anyone ever do something like that and can offer suggestions, tips,
tricks, etc.

Thanks

I'm a stud.
Wot about it?

All hail the Colonel for he hath much grateness.

--

"It is my learned opinion that a man should not
mince words, just to spare the sensibilities of

--Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you use a roller wheel for extra support, it should be spring-loaded unless your laminate floor is exactly perpendicular to the stud that the door/wall is hinged upon.

swinging chair help Dave[_8_] Woodworking 8 October 3rd 07 12:57 PM
@#$%@ door keeps swinging open Mike Home Repair 4 February 13th 07 08:43 PM
Removing a swinging door? Mark H. Home Repair 8 December 31st 06 07:07 PM
swinging crib Eddie Woodworking 4 September 19th 06 07:32 AM
How do I stop door from swinging open (or closed)? trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 7 December 30th 03 09:21 PM