Posted to rec.woodworking

Default swinging chair help

I have seen a wooden hammoc style chair a few years ago and finally
decided to make my own and have a question regarding board separation.
I drew a quick sketch of the style to better explain what I need.
N.T.S.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ngingchair.jpg

I am using rope along each side but need to keep the boards from
sliding together. There two ideas I have are 1. providing a knot in
between each board. 2. making a filler piece to place between each
board (like a dowel with a hole.) Does anyone have any other ideas or
thoughts.

thinking I am thoughtless..

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2 Oct, 16:07, Dave wrote:
I have seen a wooden hammoc style chair a few years ago and finally
decided to make my own and have a question regarding board separation.
I drew a quick sketch of the style to better explain what I need.
N.T.S.http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ngingchair.jpg

I am using rope along each side but need to keep the boards from
sliding together. There two ideas I have are 1. providing a knot in
between each board. 2. making a filler piece to place between each
board (like a dowel with a hole.) Does anyone have any other ideas or
thoughts.

thinking I am thoughtless..

Dave

I would avoid knots because I think they would compress over time, and
with different forces on different sections of the chair, I think you
will get uneven spacing after a while. That assumes that you could
even tie the knots exactly the same every time and actually *start*
with even spacing in all 50 or so gaps.

Think about the look you are after. Round spacers will give the chair
a totally different look than square spacers. (my own mental eye is
opting for round spacers right now). Also keep in mind that the
thickness of the walls of the spacers might impact the performance of
the chair also. Thin walled pipes might dig into the wood after
extended seat time.

A different color or species of wood for the spacers would also make a
visual impact, if that is the type of thing you're going for.

Good luck!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message

thinking I am thoughtless..

I'm about there myself, but just short of that condition I came up with this
"bead" thought for starters:

http://www.craftparts.com/mall/Beads_Round.asp

.... something on there with a larger hole size might save the day. If you
have a lathe, even better ...

.... just a thought.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 2, 4:51 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I would avoid knots because I think they would compress over time, and
with different forces on different sections of the chair, I think you
will get uneven spacing after a while.

I agree about the knot idea, knot a good one

Think about the look you are after. Round spacers will give the chair
a totally different look than square spacers.

I am leaning toward dowels and maybe drilling a hole in the middle

A different color or species of wood for the spacers would also make a
visual impact, if that is the type of thing you're going for.

I love this idea! Although the rest of the wood was taken from an old
deck someone was throwing away, recycling helps. I could always use a
clear finish on the slats and stain the fillers

Dave FL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 2, 5:07 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

... something on there with a larger hole size might save the day. If you
have a lathe, even better ...

This is even easier but I would have to use my drill press. and as
DerbyDad03 mentioned, a dowel would eventually dig into the boards,
these would roll nicely. Something for me to think about.
But what the hey! the wood was free and I am having a ball.

Dave FL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
I have seen a wooden hammoc style chair a few years ago and finally
decided to make my own and have a question regarding board separation.
I drew a quick sketch of the style to better explain what I need.
N.T.S.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ngingchair.jpg

I am using rope along each side but need to keep the boards from
sliding together. There two ideas I have are 1. providing a knot in
between each board. 2. making a filler piece to place between each
board (like a dowel with a hole.) Does anyone have any other ideas or
thoughts.

thinking I am thoughtless..

Dave

Without the slats being fastened to at least a couple of contoured
"stretchers" to hold the shape all you'll end up with is one awfully
uncomfortable "U" shaped swing.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
I have seen a wooden hammoc style chair a few years ago and finally
decided to make my own and have a question regarding board
separation. I drew a quick sketch of the style to better explain
what I need. N.T.S.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ngingchair.jpg

I am using rope along each side but need to keep the boards from
sliding together. There two ideas I have are 1. providing a knot in
between each board. 2. making a filler piece to place between each
board (like a dowel with a hole.) Does anyone have any other ideas
or thoughts.

Beads. Round beads.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
I have seen a wooden hammoc style chair a few years ago and finally
decided to make my own and have a question regarding board
separation. I drew a quick sketch of the style to better explain
what I need. N.T.S.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ngingchair.jpg

I am using rope along each side but need to keep the boards from
sliding together. There two ideas I have are 1. providing a knot in
between each board. 2. making a filler piece to place between each
board (like a dowel with a hole.) Does anyone have any other ideas
or thoughts.

Be sure to use dacron rope. Nylon stretches and the only good(?)
thing about polypropylene is that it floats.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 2, 5:55 pm, Nova wrote:

Without the slats being fastened to at least a couple of contoured
"stretchers" to hold the shape all you'll end up with is one awfully
uncomfortable "U" shaped swing.

There will be a knot at the base (by the knees) and another under the
armrests to adjust the "U-shape". The armrests will act as
"stretchers" This type of chair will actually conform to your body.
The one I've seen 15 years ago was very comfortable.

Thanks for your advice, Dave FL

@#$%@ door keeps swinging open Mike Home Repair 4 February 13th 07 08:43 PM
Removing a swinging door? Mark H. Home Repair 8 December 31st 06 07:07 PM
swinging crib Eddie Woodworking 4 September 19th 06 07:32 AM
SWINGING GATE J T Woodworking 0 August 31st 06 04:44 AM
swinging bar saloon doors [email protected] UK diy 1 September 5th 05 12:52 AM