Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing a swinging door?

I have a 1940's house, with a swinging door leading into the kitchen. The
door's old, too, maybe original, attached to the frame by pivot pins stuck
in sockets in the head and sill.

I thought perhaps I could depress one of the pins, assuming it might be
retractable, thus allowing me to simply pull the door out, but that doesn't
seem to be the case, seems like the pins are fixed. Therefore, looks like I
have to dismantle the door. Maybe I'm wrong; missing something?

What's the best way to get that door out? Break out the threshold and pull
it out from the bottom? Hopefully, presumably, the bottom pin doesn't sink
down any further. I only wanted to take the door out to move some new
appliances into the kitchen, then put it back in again. I sure hate to tear
it up like that, didn't expect a construction project.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark H. wrote:
[...]

Lift up. Bottom pin will clear hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 21:28:52 GMT, "Mark H."
wrote:

I have a 1940's house, with a swinging door leading into the kitchen. The
door's old, too, maybe original, attached to the frame by pivot pins stuck
in sockets in the head and sill.

I thought perhaps I could depress one of the pins, assuming it might be
retractable, thus allowing me to simply pull the door out, but that doesn't
seem to be the case, seems like the pins are fixed. Therefore, looks like I
have to dismantle the door. Maybe I'm wrong; missing something?

What's the best way to get that door out? Break out the threshold and pull
it out from the bottom? Hopefully, presumably, the bottom pin doesn't sink
down any further. I only wanted to take the door out to move some new
appliances into the kitchen, then put it back in again. I sure hate to tear
it up like that, didn't expect a construction project.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paint it and make it nice. Swinging doors have the advantages that
they separate one from the noise and mess of the kitchen, and they
give privacy from the help and a feeling of intimacy for the family.
All this while making it easy to carry food in to the dining room, adn
armfuls of dishes out. No hands are needed to open or shut the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I took out my swinging door years ago in the same situation, and am a
little - not a lot -- sorry. If left open, it would block something
in the kitchen one way and something in the dining room the other way.

The ideal would have been a pocket door, but I never got around to
checking out the possibilities.

As to "privacy from the help" -- I wish!!! Didn't know we had
plutocrats on this NG g

"No hands", takes me back to student days when I slung hash in the
university dining room. Like a wise-ass, I started to go in the wrong
way and had my nose broken by the door...

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:

The ideal would have been a pocket door, but I never got around to
checking out the possibilities.

I wish I had a pocket door for a little half bath off my mud room. Can
they be done post construction, or do they have to be original to the wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"No hands", takes me back to student days when I slung hash in the
university dining room. Like a wise-ass, I started to go in the wrong
way and had my nose broken by the door...

Many times I have walked into a bright and shiny clean sliding door.
We keep visual aids up near eye level, like colored glass. I'm
learning to remember to put tem back right away G.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check out this site for info on retrofitting a pocket door...I can't
speak for it's accuracy/completeness, it was just a site I stumbled
across on my web-travels.

http://www.handymanclub.com/document.asp?dID=811

Goomba38 wrote:
aspasia wrote:

The ideal would have been a pocket door, but I never got around to
checking out the possibilities.

I wish I had a pocket door for a little half bath off my mud room. Can
they be done post construction, or do they have to be original to the wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

When you open the door all of the way you should be able to see the
screws that hold the bottom spring to the floor, you might have to
remove the metal guard around the bottom back edge of the door to get
to them. Just unsrew those and you should be able to slide the door out
of the way. I hope that you didn't tear things apart yet. It is really
not too difficult to get these doors out. I have pulled hundreds of
them out of houses that were being salvaged. The trickiest part is
being gentle so that you don't scar up the floor.
Good luck, if you need more help, just ask.

Kenny

http://seattlebuildingsalvage.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote...
When you open the door all of the way you should be able to see the
screws that hold the bottom spring to the floor, you might have to
remove the metal guard around the bottom back edge of the door to get
to them. Just unsrew those and you should be able to slide the door out
of the way. I hope that you didn't tear things apart yet. It is really
not too difficult to get these doors out. I have pulled hundreds of
them out of houses that were being salvaged. The trickiest part is
being gentle so that you don't scar up the floor.
Good luck, if you need more help, just ask.
Kenny
http://seattlebuildingsalvage.com/

Thank you very much, Kenny, and all others who replied.

No, I haven't torn anything out yet. Upon further research on the hinge
operation, though, I believe that I'd have to remove the floor plate in
order to pull the door out of place, and the door plate is embedded in the
threshold, so that would mean additional work. And, as said, being careful
not to scar up the nice, old, wood floor.

I've really been admiring the older hardware, very industrial looking, and
works like a champ. The door's a heavy one, too, but swings like a breeze,
and stays put where I leave it, nicely balanced. They built them
substantially back in the day.

I've decided not to remove it after all. No sense messin' with a good
thing. I'll come up with another plan to access the kitchen area.

Once again, thanks all, and Happy New Year to you!!

swinging crib Eddie Woodworking 4 September 19th 06 07:32 AM
SWINGING GATE J T Woodworking 0 August 31st 06 04:44 AM
swinging bar saloon doors [email protected] UK diy 1 September 5th 05 12:52 AM
Removing Patio Door Paul Giroux Home Repair 1 April 11th 04 12:44 PM
How do I stop door from swinging open (or closed)? trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 7 December 30th 03 09:21 PM