Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark H. Mark H. is offline

Default Removing a swinging door?

wrote...
When you open the door all of the way you should be able to see the
screws that hold the bottom spring to the floor, you might have to
remove the metal guard around the bottom back edge of the door to get
to them. Just unsrew those and you should be able to slide the door out
of the way. I hope that you didn't tear things apart yet. It is really
not too difficult to get these doors out. I have pulled hundreds of
them out of houses that were being salvaged. The trickiest part is
being gentle so that you don't scar up the floor.
Good luck, if you need more help, just ask.
Kenny
http://seattlebuildingsalvage.com/

Thank you very much, Kenny, and all others who replied.

No, I haven't torn anything out yet. Upon further research on the hinge
operation, though, I believe that I'd have to remove the floor plate in
order to pull the door out of place, and the door plate is embedded in the
threshold, so that would mean additional work. And, as said, being careful
not to scar up the nice, old, wood floor.

I've really been admiring the older hardware, very industrial looking, and
works like a champ. The door's a heavy one, too, but swings like a breeze,
and stays put where I leave it, nicely balanced. They built them
substantially back in the day.

I've decided not to remove it after all. No sense messin' with a good
thing. I'll come up with another plan to access the kitchen area.

Once again, thanks all, and Happy New Year to you!!