Posted to alt.home.repair

Default @#$%@ door keeps swinging open

Hello all. The door to my upstairs bathroom likes to swing open
(unless it's fully closed). If I just give the door a slight push to
mostly close it (but not all the way), it swings right back open.
Very annoying. I once heard someone say that you can fix something
like this by slightly bending one of the pins in one of the hinges,
but I cannot recall exactly. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot...

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 1:05 pm, "Mike" wrote:
Hello all. The door to my upstairs bathroom likes to swing open
(unless it's fully closed). If I just give the door a slight push to
mostly close it (but not all the way), it swings right back open.
Very annoying. I once heard someone say that you can fix something
like this by slightly bending one of the pins in one of the hinges,
but I cannot recall exactly. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot...

Mike

An easier thing to do would be to remove the bottom hinge plate and
using the plate as a template cut peices of paper or light cardboard.
Place theses peices in the chisled slot then the hinge plate back in
place over it. This would help in leveling up the hing plates
eliminating the problem. Put a level on it before you start to
determine what plate you need to work on (top or bottom).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 11:05 am, "Mike" wrote:
Hello all. The door to my upstairs bathroom likes to swing open
(unless it's fully closed). If I just give the door a slight push to
mostly close it (but not all the way), it swings right back open.
Very annoying. I once heard someone say that you can fix something
like this by slightly bending one of the pins in one of the hinges,
but I cannot recall exactly. Any ideas?

Yep, works like a charm. Just don't bend it too much...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 11:18 am, "RayV" wrote:
On Feb 13, 11:05 am, "Mike" wrote:

Hello all. The door to my upstairs bathroom likes to swing open
(unless it's fully closed). If I just give the door a slight push to
mostly close it (but not all the way), it swings right back open.
Very annoying. I once heard someone say that you can fix something
like this by slightly bending one of the pins in one of the hinges,
but I cannot recall exactly. Any ideas?

Yep, works like a charm. Just don't bend it too much...

Just take the pin out, lay it on the floor, whack it gently with a
hammer 2-3 times and then tap it back in? Should I start with the
middle (of 3) pins?

Thanks for any guidance...

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 8:05 am, "Mike" wrote:
Hello all. The door to my upstairs bathroom likes to swing open
(unless it's fully closed). If I just give the door a slight push to
mostly close it (but not all the way), it swings right back open.
Very annoying. I once heard someone say that you can fix something
like this by slightly bending one of the pins in one of the hinges,
but I cannot recall exactly. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot...

Mike

Yep, take it out, place on a flat hard surface and tap in the middle
with a hammer. Don't go too far but if you do, it can be straightened
out some. Trial and error.

Any other fix requires pulling at least one hinge and shimming or all
hinges (or the door frame) and resetting so the door is level and
plumb.

Harry K