Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Below ground level water meter protection

My new house has a water meter out front that is about 24 inches below
ground level. The problem is that there is little-to-no freeze
protection. It is simply at the bottom of a hole dug in the dirt, The
hole is over 24 inches diameter at the top. There is a flat round
piece of metal plate that is supposed to cover it. It does not fit
tightly, and if it is a little off-center then there is also a gap. I
have seen this happen because the meter readers are not careful in
replacing it.

Low temp here last year was eight below zero, fahrenheit. Is there
anything I can do to protect the meter and the PCV pipe leaving the
meter, which is exposed? I thought of placing a trash bag filled with
plastic peanuts in the hole, but then realized that would freeze to
the dirt and get ripped. Whatever I use has to allow the meter readers
to get access.

Thanks for any ideas.
-dan z-

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/19/2016 2:04 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
My new house has a water meter out front that is about 24 inches below
ground level. The problem is that there is little-to-no freeze
protection. It is simply at the bottom of a hole dug in the dirt, The
hole is over 24 inches diameter at the top. There is a flat round
piece of metal plate that is supposed to cover it. It does not fit
tightly, and if it is a little off-center then there is also a gap. I
have seen this happen because the meter readers are not careful in
replacing it.

I _presume_ there's more than just the hole but is a piece of drainage
conduit or somesuch? Otherwise, over time it's going to collapse and
then it won't be a problem...

I'd modify the lid to have registration so it does fit as a first step.
How much does the meter output location they've got to see extend
above the bottom? You could fill that part semi-permanently with foam
cut to fit and likely that'd be all you'd need. Could also attach as
part of the first part there 3-4" of solid foam to the bottom of the lid
so it serves both purposes simultaneously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 15:04:25 -0400, slate_leeper
wrote:

[...]

Can't offer a direct solution. What happened is years past? The meter
is the responsibility of the water utility, no? You could tick off
the meter reader if you stuff the box with insulation so they can't
read the meter.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

.... just sayin'
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Have a machine shop cut a piece of similar metal that DOES fit.
Then cut some foam insulation (like that pink stuff used on walls), that
fits fairly tight, under the lid, and glue it to a piece of treated 1/2"
plywood. Install a handle to it, so the meter readers can easily lift it
out. You could also get a short heat tape to wrap around meter and
pipes, and leave the cord where you wont cut it off with the lawn mower.
(like attach it to to a wooden post, next ot the hole) Then if you get
a severe cold spell, run an extension cord and plug it in.

Also, check what neighbors use.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Consider installing an insulated, thermoplastic, water meter box. If you are in a really cold environment,
you can stuff some insulating foam rubber in the box and then replace the cover.

A Google search will turn up some options for you or you can call your water company and ask if they have some
recommendations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Seems rather odd that in a place where the winters can get to -8F,
that new construction puts water meters and pipe only 24" deep.
Here in NJ, where we rarely get to 0F, all that is 3 ft deep.

I'd call the water company and plumbing inspector and ask what's
going on.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/19/2016 2:04 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
My new house has a water meter out front that is about 24 inches below

Actually, an idea that came later is that this is an issue the builder
should've fixed. Since it's new, lay the onus on them to correct it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2016 12:04 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
[...]

Place a meter box, big plastic pipe, barrel with ends cut off, garbage
can, or something similar into the hole over the meter to form a firm
case under the lid. Then make an insulator plug with a handle to fit
into it. You could use block styrofoam, expanding foam liquid in a bag,
or even your bag of foam peanuts. A tapered case would probably make
plug removal easiest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 07:50:22 -0400, slate_leeper
wrote:

Place a meter box, big plastic pipe, barrel with ends cut off, garbage
can, or something similar into the hole over the meter to form a firm
case under the lid. Then make an insulator plug with a handle to fit
into it. You could use block styrofoam, expanding foam liquid in a bag,
or even your bag of foam peanuts. A tapered case would probably make
plug removal easiest.

This might be workable. I have an extra large plastic garbage can that
is tapered. Thanks for the idea. I could probably even make it so that
the garbage can lid would still be usable on top, if I can get the cut
off can anchored well enough so that it doesn't pull out with the lid.

-dan z-

That may work, or get a plastic sump pump pit, and modify it to fit in
the hole. They come with a lid and everything.

First, see if this is your responsibility, or if the water company is
responsible. What you have sounds like a real mess. If the sidewalls are
just dirt, that meter will be buried in no time, and the meter gone. I'd
think the water company would want that fixed, and maybe fo it for you.

You could also build soemthing with treated lumber, or even pour
concrete around a large pail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 14:14:19 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, no, there is no liner of any type on the hole, which is
why the steel plate does not fit tightly on top. My current house does
have a concrete liner and a fairly tight fitting steel cap on that.

-dan z-

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 21:13:44 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 10/19/2016 2:04 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
My new house has a water meter out front that is about 24 inches below

Actually, an idea that came later is that this is an issue the builder
should've fixed. Since it's new, lay the onus on them to correct it.

I guess I should have made clear that the "new" house is new to me. My
current house is for sale, and the "new" house is where I will be
moving. It was actually built in the 80's.

-dan z-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where I live, the city utility department owns the meter box.

That means if it is installed wrong, they will tell the builder to fix it.

It also means you are not allowed to mess with it.

In fact they'll tell you you're not supposed to have a shutoff wrench for their valve, but they can't enforce that. In my neighborhood the houses were all built without internal main supply shutoff valves, so we all own that wrench and keep it handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/20/2016 6:45 AM, slate_leeper wrote:

I guess I should have made clear that the "new" house is new to me. My
current house is for sale, and the "new" house is where I will be
moving. It was actually built in the 80's.

In that case, it must not have been much of a problem up to now...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2016 05:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Meter reader? Most meters are read by a guy driving down the street
getting information from a transponder. In 35 years, only once has
anyone been in my house and that was to install the transponder.

Where I am, the city still reads the water meter manually. They have
talked about remote reading, but haven't done anything yet. Electric and
gas meters (companies, not city) are read remotely.

--
66 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Many of those people involved in Adolf Hitler were Satanists, many were
homosexuals -- the two things seem to go together" [Pat Robertson, ADL
report on Religious Right, page 131]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2016 06:48 AM, TimR wrote:
Where I live, the city utility department owns the meter box.

That means if it is installed wrong, they will tell the builder to fix it.

It also means you are not allowed to mess with it.

In fact they'll tell you you're not supposed to have a shutoff wrench for their valve, but they can't enforce that. In my neighborhood the houses were all built without internal main supply shutoff valves, so we all own that wrench and keep it handy.

I have an old shutoff at my house. This looks like a square iron rod
bent at an angle. It won't turn. A plumber told me I shouldn't try,
since that could break it.

--
66 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Many of those people involved in Adolf Hitler were Satanists, many were
homosexuals -- the two things seem to go together" [Pat Robertson, ADL
report on Religious Right, page 131]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 7:46:04 AM UTC-4, slate_leeper wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 21:13:44 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 10/19/2016 2:04 PM, slate_leeper wrote:
My new house has a water meter out front that is about 24 inches below

Actually, an idea that came later is that this is an issue the builder
should've fixed. Since it's new, lay the onus on them to correct it.

I guess I should have made clear that the "new" house is new to me. My
current house is for sale, and the "new" house is where I will be
moving. It was actually built in the 80's.

-dan z-

Then it's even more clear that the meter box is not yours. It belongs to the city, Public Works or Utility Dept or whatever they call themselves. If you do some half baked DIY construction to "protect" it, they will probably rip it out and charge you a service call. Don't do anything without their approval.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 08:03:59 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I have an old shutoff at my house. This looks like a square iron rod
bent at an angle. It won't turn. A plumber told me I shouldn't try,
since that could break it.

Yea, you could break it..... But what happens when your basement is
flooding and there is no way to turn off the water. I saw this happen in
someone's home. By the time the water utility finally was able to shut
off the water, by bringing in a lot of equipment to dig up the lawn,
that basement had 4 feet of water in it, and everything down there was
ruined. Furnace, washer/dryer, water heater, and lots of stored stuff.

Soak that valve with PB Blaster daily for several weeks, then carefully
turn it a little at a time. OR, pay a plumber to replace it NOW. That
will still be cheaper than having a flood.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 07:23:10 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 10/20/2016 6:45 AM, slate_leeper wrote:

I guess I should have made clear that the "new" house is new to me. My
current house is for sale, and the "new" house is where I will be
moving. It was actually built in the 80's.

In that case, it must not have been much of a problem up to now...

I presume because it was occupied and so water was running through the
pipes often enough to prevent the freezing. It was unoccupied all last
winter. I shut the main inlet off in the house. The line coming in is
buried quite deeply and the only exposed part is in that meter hole.
Now I have an underground water leak in that pipe, and I am presuming
that it actually froze near the meter but the pressure caused the leak
elsewhere at the weakest point.

-dan z-

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2016 6:53 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
I presume because it was occupied and so water was running through the
pipes often enough to prevent the freezing. It was unoccupied all last
winter. I shut the main inlet off in the house. The line coming in is
buried quite deeply and the only exposed part is in that meter hole.
Now I have an underground water leak in that pipe, and I am presuming
that it actually froze near the meter but the pressure caused the leak
elsewhere at the weakest point.

Repairing underground municipal water lines can be expensive. The *proper* way is for municipal waterlines to be installed below freeze line all the way in to the house. Meters are located in the house with a remote display outside for the meter reader.

Some jackass saved a few bucks by not using a remote read meter and now you're paying the price. Too bad the original plumbing inspector didn't catch that hack job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2016 8:32 AM, Dev Null wrote:

Repairing underground municipal water lines can be expensive. The
*proper* way is for municipal waterlines to be installed below freeze
line all the way in to the house. Meters are located in the house with
a remote display outside for the meter reader.

Some jackass saved a few bucks by not using a remote read meter and now
you're paying the price. Too bad the original plumbing inspector didn't
catch that hack job.

What jackass would that be? Generally, the water company (often town
owned) determines the meter type and location.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2016 10:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/21/2016 8:32 AM, Dev Null wrote:

Repairing underground municipal water lines can be expensive. The
*proper* way is for municipal waterlines to be installed below freeze
line all the way in to the house. Meters are located in the house with
a remote display outside for the meter reader.

Some jackass saved a few bucks by not using a remote read meter and now
you're paying the price. Too bad the original plumbing inspector didn't
catch that hack job.

What jackass would that be? Generally, the water company (often town owned) determines the meter type and location.

Generally the municipality owns/maintains the water main, tap and service shutoff valve at the street.

From the street to the house is done by any licensed plumber or the homeowner.

Meters are installed in residence with remote reader installed on house so they are visible from the driveway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:36:59 -0500, Dev Null
wrote:

Meters are installed in residence with remote reader installed on house so they are visible from the driveway.

In every house; in every municipality? Do you get out much?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2016 12:36 PM, Dev Null wrote:

Some jackass saved a few bucks by not using a remote read meter and now
you're paying the price. Too bad the original plumbing inspector didn't
catch that hack job.

What jackass would that be? Generally, the water company (often town
owned) determines the meter type and location.

Generally the municipality owns/maintains the water main, tap and
service shutoff valve at the street.

From the street to the house is done by any licensed plumber or the
homeowner.

Meters are installed in residence with remote reader installed on house
so they are visible from the driveway.

Some are, some are not. Water company or town determines where, not the
plumber.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2016 7:15 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

The OP could contact the water people. They may install a proper meter
box at his request.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2016 12:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/21/2016 12:36 PM, Dev Null wrote:

Some jackass saved a few bucks by not using a remote read meter and now
you're paying the price. Too bad the original plumbing inspector didn't
catch that hack job.

What jackass would that be? Generally, the water company (often town
owned) determines the meter type and location.

Generally the municipality owns/maintains the water main, tap and
service shutoff valve at the street.

From the street to the house is done by any licensed plumber or the
homeowner.

Meters are installed in residence with remote reader installed on house
so they are visible from the driveway.

Some are, some are not. Water company or town determines where, not the plumber.

No, you are as wrong as a democrat.

The city does not want leak damage liability so it is up to the homeowner/licensed plumber where regulator/meter is installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 12:39:01 -0500, Dev Null
wrote:

On 10/21/2016 12:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/21/2016 12:36 PM, Dev Null wrote:

Some jackass saved a few bucks by not using a remote read meter and now
you're paying the price. Too bad the original plumbing inspector didn't
catch that hack job.

What jackass would that be? Generally, the water company (often town
owned) determines the meter type and location.

Generally the municipality owns/maintains the water main, tap and
service shutoff valve at the street.

From the street to the house is done by any licensed plumber or the
homeowner.

Meters are installed in residence with remote reader installed on house
so they are visible from the driveway.

Some are, some are not. Water company or town determines where, not the plumber.

No, you are as wrong as a democrat.

The city does not want leak damage liability so it is up to the homeowner/licensed plumber where regulator/meter is installed.

Wrong. My meter is on the street right of way. The utility is
responsible for the meter and the water supply. From the meter to my
house is my responsibility, regarding leaks. The water utility has no
liability for a broken line or damage past the meter. Your world may
be different but it does not apply in every circumstance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 12:39:01 -0500, Dev Null wrote:

On 10/21/2016 12:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/21/2016 12:36 PM, Dev Null wrote:

Some jackass saved a few bucks by not using a remote read meter and now
you're paying the price. Too bad the original plumbing inspector didn't
catch that hack job.

What jackass would that be? Generally, the water company (often town
owned) determines the meter type and location.

Generally the municipality owns/maintains the water main, tap and
service shutoff valve at the street.

From the street to the house is done by any licensed plumber or the
homeowner.

Meters are installed in residence with remote reader installed on house
so they are visible from the driveway.

Some are, some are not. Water company or town determines where, not the plumber.

No, you are as wrong as a democrat.

The city does not want leak damage liability so it is up to the homeowner/licensed plumber where regulator/meter is installed.

This is not the case with any California water district. The local WD maintains very tight control over all
new installations. If I remember correctly, the OP is in the Sacramento area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Meters are installed in residence with remote reader installed on house so they are visible from the driveway.

In every house; in every municipality? Do you get out much?

Did I say every house/muni? Are you mentally retarded?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Meters are installed in residence with remote reader installed on house so they are visible from the driveway.

In every house; in every municipality? Do you get out much?

Did I say every house/muni? Are you mentally retarded?

You said: "Meters are installed in residence with remote reader
installed on house so they are visible from the driveway."

That is simply not true in every circumstance. Nice try though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 13:01:43 -0500, Dev Null wrote:

Did I say every house/muni? Are you mentally retarded?

PLONK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dev Null wrote:
On 10/21/2016 12:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/21/2016 12:36 PM, Dev Null wrote:

Some jackass saved a few bucks by not using a remote read meter
and now you're paying the price. Too bad the original plumbing
inspector didn't catch that hack job.

What jackass would that be? Generally, the water company (often
town owned) determines the meter type and location.

Generally the municipality owns/maintains the water main, tap and
service shutoff valve at the street.

From the street to the house is done by any licensed plumber or the
homeowner.

Meters are installed in residence with remote reader installed on
house so they are visible from the driveway.

Some are, some are not. Water company or town determines where, not
the plumber.

No, you are as wrong as a democrat.

The city does not want leak damage liability so it is up to the
homeowner/licensed plumber where regulator/meter is installed.

Bull**** . Not around here , our meter is next to the driveway up at the
road (we live in a clearing out in the woods). It's in a little precast
concrete enclosure with a lid that fits into a recess in the top . About 18"
deep , no insulation , and it's been colder than -8° here before with no
problem .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 17:06:18 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Dev Null wrote:
On 10/21/2016 12:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/21/2016 12:36 PM, Dev Null wrote:

Some jackass saved a few bucks by not using a remote read meter
and now you're paying the price. Too bad the original plumbing
inspector didn't catch that hack job.

What jackass would that be? Generally, the water company (often
town owned) determines the meter type and location.

Generally the municipality owns/maintains the water main, tap and
service shutoff valve at the street.

From the street to the house is done by any licensed plumber or the
homeowner.

Meters are installed in residence with remote reader installed on
house so they are visible from the driveway.

Some are, some are not. Water company or town determines where, not
the plumber.

No, you are as wrong as a democrat.

The city does not want leak damage liability so it is up to the
homeowner/licensed plumber where regulator/meter is installed.

Bull**** . Not around here , our meter is next to the driveway up at the
road (we live in a clearing out in the woods). It's in a little precast
concrete enclosure with a lid that fits into a recess in the top . About 18"
deep , no insulation , and it's been colder than -8° here before with no
problem .

Dev Null will call you "retarded".

Only his hose has the right answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2016 5:06 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Dev Null wrote:
On 10/21/2016 12:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/21/2016 12:36 PM, Dev Null wrote:

Some jackass saved a few bucks by not using a remote read meter
and now you're paying the price. Too bad the original plumbing
inspector didn't catch that hack job.
What jackass would that be? Generally, the water company (often
town owned) determines the meter type and location.
Generally the municipality owns/maintains the water main, tap and
service shutoff valve at the street.

From the street to the house is done by any licensed plumber or the
homeowner.

Meters are installed in residence with remote reader installed on
house so they are visible from the driveway.

Some are, some are not. Water company or town determines where, not
the plumber.

No, you are as wrong as a democrat.

The city does not want leak damage liability so it is up to the
homeowner/licensed plumber where regulator/meter is installed.

Bull**** . Not around here , our meter is next to the driveway up at the
road (we live in a clearing out in the woods). It's in a little precast
concrete enclosure with a lid that fits into a recess in the top . About 18"
deep , no insulation , and it's been colder than -8° here before with no
problem .

Only requirement here is that meter display is visible from driveway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2016 6:56 PM, Dev Null wrote:

Only requirement here is that meter display is visible from driveway.

How quaint. Here they drive down the street and every meter is read by
transponder. No one has look at my meter for 35 years. Over the next
four months though, they are replacing meters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 10:15:28 -0700, Bob F wrote:

[...]

Done that. They said they will send out an inspector next week.

-dan z-

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2016 4:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/21/2016 6:56 PM, Dev Null wrote:

Only requirement here is that meter display is visible from driveway.

How quaint. Here they drive down the street and every meter is read by
transponder. No one has look at my meter for 35 years. Over the next
four months though, they are replacing meters.

And here the meters are on the city right-of-way, and meter readers read
them every other month. Everything form the meter on is my responsibility.