Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Below ground level water meter protection

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 4:02:05 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 15:04:25 -0400, slate_leeper
wrote:

My new house has a water meter out front that is about 24 inches below
ground level. The problem is that there is little-to-no freeze
protection. It is simply at the bottom of a hole dug in the dirt, The
hole is over 24 inches diameter at the top. There is a flat round
piece of metal plate that is supposed to cover it. It does not fit
tightly, and if it is a little off-center then there is also a gap. I
have seen this happen because the meter readers are not careful in
replacing it.

Low temp here last year was eight below zero, fahrenheit. Is there
anything I can do to protect the meter and the PCV pipe leaving the
meter, which is exposed? I thought of placing a trash bag filled with
plastic peanuts in the hole, but then realized that would freeze to
the dirt and get ripped. Whatever I use has to allow the meter readers
to get access.

Thanks for any ideas.
-dan z-

Can't offer a direct solution. What happened is years past? The meter
is the responsibility of the water utility, no? You could tick off
the meter reader if you stuff the box with insulation so they can't
read the meter.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

... just sayin'

Seems rather odd that in a place where the winters can get to -8F,
that new construction puts water meters and pipe only 24" deep.
Here in NJ, where we rarely get to 0F, all that is 3 ft deep.

I'd call the water company and plumbing inspector and ask what's
going on.