Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hear water meter 'clicking' throughout the pipes when in-ground sprinkler running

When our in-ground sprinkler is running outside, I can hear the water
meter 'clicking' through all the pipes -- including as far away as our
3rd floor bathroom. All the pipes are secured properly using clamps
and we never hear any other water hammering or vibration noises. The
clicking definitely comes from the water meter itself and sounds like
a metronome beating at at 4-5 beats/second. The pipes themselves are
not detectably physically vibrating (though the sound from the water
meter is obviously transmitted through them).

The irrigation system is high volume in the sense that the supply
lines are 1" copper followed by 1" plastic irrigation piping that feed
3-5 Hunter rotors per zone. I assume other high flow applications
would set the water meter vibrating similarly. Our water pressure is
on the high side (about 80 psi) but that is supposedly normal for our
area.

- Is this "normal" for a water meter?
- Could this be affecting the metering? (either positively or negatively)
- Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

blueman wrote:
[...]

No, it is not normal. I had a noisy water meter for many years, once it
alerted me to a broken water pipe by its fast noisy sound. It was upgraded
to a remote read meter and the new meter was silent. Call you water works or
whoever controls and owns the meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:18:44 -0400, blueman wrote:

[...]

Call the meter company. They will send a large build woman. She can
fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message
When our in-ground sprinkler is running outside, I can hear the water
meter 'clicking' through all the pipes -- including as far away as our
3rd floor bathroom. All the pipes are secured properly using clamps
and we never hear any other water hammering or vibration noises. The
clicking definitely comes from the water meter itself and sounds like
a metronome beating at at 4-5 beats/second.

Are you sure that is not the sound of coins being thrown away? My lawn gets
watered every time it rains; and only when it rains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" writes:

"blueman" wrote in message
When our in-ground sprinkler is running outside, I can hear the water
meter 'clicking' through all the pipes -- including as far away as our
3rd floor bathroom. All the pipes are secured properly using clamps
and we never hear any other water hammering or vibration noises. The
clicking definitely comes from the water meter itself and sounds like
a metronome beating at at 4-5 beats/second.

Are you sure that is not the sound of coins being thrown away? My lawn gets
watered every time it rains; and only when it rains.

Very true - my water bill for the 3rd quarter is typically over $1000
and I barely water (we live in the Boston area which has one of the
highest water/sewer rates in the world because of the Harbor cleanup
fiasco).

However, all the work I put into the lawn seems to go to waste if it
doesn't rain for a week or so and I don't supplement with water (note
I try to water sparingly only if it doesn't rain for). Our soil seems
to dry out and we have a lot of silver maples surrounding the yard
which seem to suck up lots of water. And my wife complains when the
lawn gets all brown and then thinks we should get a lawn service
(which means throwing away more $$$$).... sigh

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" writes:

blueman wrote:
[...]

Is it likely to still be metering accurately? Or does noise imply
that the metering function itself is broken...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren writes:

[...]

Is the noise likely to also be a symptom that the metering function is
inaccurate or broken??? I would hate to think that I have been
overcharged for all these years (though wouldn't mind an undercharge
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 1:32*am, blueman wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

The energy, time and costs of growing grass is a wasteful occupation.
Our local horticulturist recommends clover which puts nitrogen back
into the soil and is much less prone to pesky bugs.
I must get around to cutting back and front (about one quarter acre of
grass all told, this week or next I think that will be only the second
(or at most third) time this year. If when we get any bare patches
sprinkling a bit of white clover seed works well.
White clover flowers have a slightly sweet taste; but one has to make
sure next door's dog (or cat) hasn't pee'd on the 'grass'! Some people
add cover flowers to salads.
Very bees around this year; why?
Spotted a neighbour recently using some four litres of some sort of
chemical on his minute patch of 'grass'.. Hope none of that blew over
here! Odd two that both his dogs got cancer!
BTW I can never recall ever watering our 'lawn' and this summer we
have had so little rain and last winter less snow that normally so
that municipal water conservation rules have been in effect for a
month and a half! In late June the local water reservoir ponds, from
which our potable water comes were at 'end of August levels'. To
anybody on metered water it must be expensive?
Wasteful is spraying in bright sunlight, the water evaporating almost
as quickly as it hits the ground! Instead of in the evenings or at
night. Lawn spraying and home car washing not presently allowed due to
water shortage.
Think I will find out how much it will cost to get a comprehensive
water quality and chemical composition test of our old well. Thank
goodness we kept the well pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:34:31 -0400, blueman wrote
Re Hear water meter 'clicking' throughout the pipes when in-ground
sprinkler running:

Is the noise likely to also be a symptom that the metering function is
inaccurate or broken???

Yes, there's a good chance of that.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

stan wrote:

The energy, time and costs of growing grass is a wasteful occupation.

http://www.richsoil.com/lawn/god.jsp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 10, 7:18*pm, blueman wrote:
When our in-ground sprinkler is running outside, I can hear the water
meter 'clicking' through all the pipes --

snip

- Is this "normal" for a water meter?

Sometimes for older mechanical read only meters.

- Could this be affecting the metering? (either positively or negatively)

Why don't you check it? Read the meter, fill up a gallon jug as many
times as you feel are adequate and empty it on the lawn. Read the
meter again. Ten jug trips ought to show 10.0 on the meter. Continue
until you are certain of the meter correlation with the number of jugs
of water. Remember to fill the jugs to the exact level that they were
when purchased with liquid content. Five gallon pails are too awkward
to mess with.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" writes:

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

Why not replace the lawn or most of it with something suitable for your
climate such as a rock garden or whatever occurs naturally where you are?

Trying to have a putting green lawn has to be one of the biggest wastes
of money and resources going.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"blueman" wrote in message
When our in-ground sprinkler is running outside, I can hear the water
meter 'clicking' through all the pipes -- including as far away as our
3rd floor bathroom. All the pipes are secured properly using clamps
and we never hear any other water hammering or vibration noises. The
clicking definitely comes from the water meter itself and sounds like
a metronome beating at at 4-5 beats/second.

Are you sure that is not the sound of coins being thrown away? My lawn gets
watered every time it rains; and only when it rains.

Me too. Grass knows what to do when it doesn't rain as often.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message

Very true - my water bill for the 3rd quarter is typically over $1000
and I barely water (we live in the Boston area which has one of the
highest water/sewer rates in the world because of the Harbor cleanup
fiasco).

Holy crap, I pay $450 a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BQ340" wrote in message
Joe wrote:

Why don't you check it? Read the meter, fill up a gallon jug as many
times as you feel are adequate and empty it on the lawn. Read the
meter again. Ten jug trips ought to show 10.0 on the meter. Continue
until you are certain of the meter correlation with the number of jugs
of water. Remember to fill the jugs to the exact level that they were
when purchased with liquid content. Five gallon pails are too awkward
to mess with.

Joe

What liquids are sold by the cubic foot?

MikeB

Some meters do read gallons though. In any case, be sure you know what it
is reading.

Posted to alt.home.repair

- Is this "normal" for a water meter?

Yes, depending on the type of meter. Ours "clicked" away while water was
running and my sharp eared wife could hear it ..like tapping on the stud(s)
where it was attached in the basement

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
[...]

Hi,
1. Is the clicking frequency slows down if water use is reduced?
Regardless, meter needs a replacement(it is wearing out)
Our meter is electronic type with radio signal. Reader just drives by
our house to read it. I heard ultimately they will read it remotely
via satellite hook up.

2. Running pressure of 80psi is I think too high. If you don't have
regulator, install one and bring it down to 60 psi. If it is running
at 80, static pressure could be well over 100 which is too much.
Checked static pressure in the night when water use is at it's low?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"blueman" wrote in message
When our in-ground sprinkler is running outside, I can hear the water
meter 'clicking' through all the pipes -- including as far away as our
3rd floor bathroom. All the pipes are secured properly using clamps
and we never hear any other water hammering or vibration noises. The
clicking definitely comes from the water meter itself and sounds like
a metronome beating at at 4-5 beats/second.

Are you sure that is not the sound of coins being thrown away? My lawn gets
watered every time it rains; and only when it rains.

Hi,
That'll sound like Kaching, Kaching, not click, click, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" writes:

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

Whoa!
That amount will cover all my utility bills! Power, Water, NG.
I got rid of most of my grass in my yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:32:41 -0400, blueman wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" writes:

"blueman" wrote in message
When our in-ground sprinkler is running outside, I can hear the water
meter 'clicking' through all the pipes -- including as far away as our
3rd floor bathroom. All the pipes are secured properly using clamps
and we never hear any other water hammering or vibration noises. The
clicking definitely comes from the water meter itself and sounds like
a metronome beating at at 4-5 beats/second.

Are you sure that is not the sound of coins being thrown away? My lawn gets
watered every time it rains; and only when it rains.

Very true - my water bill for the 3rd quarter is typically over $1000
and I barely water (we live in the Boston area which has one of the
highest water/sewer rates in the world because of the Harbor cleanup
fiasco).

And I thought I had high water bills this June and July (temperatures
over 100 degrees much of the time).

However, all the work I put into the lawn seems to go to waste if it
doesn't rain for a week or so and I don't supplement with water (note
I try to water sparingly only if it doesn't rain for). Our soil seems
to dry out and we have a lot of silver maples surrounding the yard
which seem to suck up lots of water. And my wife complains when the
lawn gets all brown and then thinks we should get a lawn service
(which means throwing away more $$$$).... sigh

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang writes:

blueman wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" writes:

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

We pay (water & sewer):
$9.95/HCF (for 1-20) [1.3 cents/gallon]
$11.95/HCF (for 21-27) [1.6 cents/gallon]
$14.34/HCF (for 70) [1.9 cents/gallon]

Our *quarterly* bills with no watering (winter months) are about 30
HCF and up to 100 HCF during peak summer quarter. This is for 6 people
which comes to about 41 gallons/day/person not including watering.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe writes:

On Aug 10, 7:18*pm, blueman wrote:
When our in-ground sprinkler is running outside, I can hear the water
meter 'clicking' through all the pipes --

snip

- Is this "normal" for a water meter?

Sometimes for older mechanical read only meters.

- Could this be affecting the metering? (either positively or negatively)

Why don't you check it? Read the meter, fill up a gallon jug as many
times as you feel are adequate and empty it on the lawn. Read the
meter again. Ten jug trips ought to show 10.0 on the meter. Continue
until you are certain of the meter correlation with the number of jugs
of water. Remember to fill the jugs to the exact level that they were
when purchased with liquid content. Five gallon pails are too awkward
to mess with.

Joe

Problem is that the smallest whell in our meter reads in 10ths of a
HCF increments which is about 75 gallons and so I would need to run
and measure a lot of water to get an accurate reading.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" writes:

"BQ340" wrote in message
Joe wrote:

Why don't you check it? Read the meter, fill up a gallon jug as many
times as you feel are adequate and empty it on the lawn. Read the
meter again. Ten jug trips ought to show 10.0 on the meter. Continue
until you are certain of the meter correlation with the number of jugs
of water. Remember to fill the jugs to the exact level that they were
when purchased with liquid content. Five gallon pails are too awkward
to mess with.

Joe

What liquids are sold by the cubic foot?

MikeB

Some meters do read gallons though. In any case, be sure you know what it
is reading.

Ours reads HCF (hundreds of cubic feet) with smallest increment being
1/10 of a HCF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang writes:

blueman wrote:
[...]

Yes - it seems volume related.
Regardless, meter needs a replacement(it is wearing out)

I scheduled someone from Water & Sewer to come by tomorrow morning.
Our meter is electronic type with radio signal. Reader just drives by
our house to read it. I heard ultimately they will read it remotely
via satellite hook up.

We now have an electronic type where I think they just hook up a card
reader on the outside of the house.
Supposedly we are moving to a drive-by system so maybe they will
replace mine with that type.

2. Running pressure of 80psi is I think too high. If you don't have
regulator, install one and bring it down to 60 psi. If it is running
at 80, static pressure could be well over 100 which is too much.
Checked static pressure in the night when water use is at it's low?

Right now:
Static pressu 90
Pressure with full sprinkler running: 72.

I agree it is high and probably causing wear & tear on valves.

- How much would it cost to install a pressure reducer?
- Wouldn't I also then need a (thermal) expansion tank for my water
heater?

It's been this way for a long time and I assume my neighbors all have
similar pressure. Is it really worth fixing or should I be thankful
for "good pressure"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" writes:

blueman wrote:
[...]

Well just had it replaced by the city today.
New meter is nicer in that it easier to read and includes (digital)
wheels down to the 1/100th of a cubic foot plus a nice tattle wheel.

However... the meter is now actually a little louder when the
sprinkler runs.

I checked the flow rate and the sprinkler is using about 11
gallons/minute to feed the heads in each zone. The city input pipe is
1.5" galvanized (but 110+ years old so effective diameter is probably
less). With the new meter I am getting slightly higher static and
dynamic pressure (about 198 and 180-185 respectively).

By the way, the water & sewer guy didn't think I should worry about
the high pressure. It seems like it is common in much of the city.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren writes:
Call the meter company. They will send a large build woman. She can
fix it.

Just my luck, they sent a guy. Though he was quite helpful and not
particularly large-built.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" writes:

- Is this "normal" for a water meter?

Yes, depending on the type of meter. Ours "clicked" away while water was
running and my sharp eared wife could hear it ..like tapping on the stud(s)
where it was attached in the basement

I guess on our system it must be pretty normal because the sound if
anything got louder when we replaced the meter. Must have to do with
the high flow rate of the sprinkler system. Kind of annoying
though...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 2:47*am, blueman wrote:
"Rudy" writes:
- Is this "normal" for a water meter?

Yes, depending on the type of meter. *Ours "clicked" away while water was
running and my sharp eared wife could hear it ..like tapping on the stud(s)
where it was attached in the basement

I guess on our system it must be pretty normal because the sound if
anything got louder when we replaced the meter. Must have to do with
the high flow rate of the sprinkler system. Kind of annoying
though...

When I lived in Ga the meter was mounted in the basement and would
click loudly whenever we filled the pool. I used to refer to this
sound as money falling down the drain. This was particularly expensive
when the city quit charging a flat rate for sewer and it was based on
2 times water usage. Shortly after that there was a company opened up
that started filling pools from a tanker truck.

Jimmie