Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Below ground level water meter protection

On 10/20/2016 06:48 AM, TimR wrote:
Where I live, the city utility department owns the meter box.

That means if it is installed wrong, they will tell the builder to fix it.

It also means you are not allowed to mess with it.

In fact they'll tell you you're not supposed to have a shutoff wrench for their valve, but they can't enforce that. In my neighborhood the houses were all built without internal main supply shutoff valves, so we all own that wrench and keep it handy.

I have an old shutoff at my house. This looks like a square iron rod
bent at an angle. It won't turn. A plumber told me I shouldn't try,
since that could break it.

--
66 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Many of those people involved in Adolf Hitler were Satanists, many were
homosexuals -- the two things seem to go together" [Pat Robertson, ADL
report on Religious Right, page 131]