Posted to alt.home.repair
slate_leeper slate_leeper is offline

Default Below ground level water meter protection

My new house has a water meter out front that is about 24 inches below
ground level. The problem is that there is little-to-no freeze
protection. It is simply at the bottom of a hole dug in the dirt, The
hole is over 24 inches diameter at the top. There is a flat round
piece of metal plate that is supposed to cover it. It does not fit
tightly, and if it is a little off-center then there is also a gap. I
have seen this happen because the meter readers are not careful in
replacing it.

Low temp here last year was eight below zero, fahrenheit. Is there
anything I can do to protect the meter and the PCV pipe leaving the
meter, which is exposed? I thought of placing a trash bag filled with
plastic peanuts in the hole, but then realized that would freeze to
the dirt and get ripped. Whatever I use has to allow the meter readers
to get access.

Thanks for any ideas.
-dan z-