Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Impact-resistant lightbulb for drop light/work lamp??

Hi,
I must have gone through 6 lightbulbs in the 4days week. Every time my drop light/work lamp accidentally falls on the floor, the bulb doesn't shatter but definitely burns out. Is there a certain type of impact-resistant lightbulb I should be buying for this? I don't see anything like that when I walk through the lighting aisle of the big box stores.
Thanks for any recommendations.
Regards,
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

LED bulbs should be more durable. since they have no filament to burn out
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 11:12:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,
I must have gone through 6 lightbulbs in the 4days week. Every time my drop light/work lamp accidentally falls on the floor, the bulb doesn't shatter but definitely burns out. Is there a certain type of impact-resistant lightbulb I should be buying for this? I don't see anything like that when I walk through the lighting aisle of the big box stores.
Thanks for any recommendations.
Regards,
Theodore

LED bulbs are pretty shock resistant but other's have already mentioned "Rough Service" incandescent bulbs that are designed for high vibration and shock environments. You might look for a bulb that's labeled as being for a garage door opener. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Rough Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 12:12:27 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,
I must have gone through 6 lightbulbs in the 4days week. Every time my drop light/work lamp accidentally falls on the floor, the bulb doesn't shatter but definitely burns out. Is there a certain type of impact-resistant lightbulb I should be buying for this? I don't see anything like that when I walk through the lighting aisle of the big box stores.
Thanks for any recommendations.
Regards,
Theodore

http://www.bulbs.com/learning/roughservice.aspx

Why do you drop your work light so often? I think you might want to examine your process
and figure out why that keeps happening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 7:13:08 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 12:12:27 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,
I must have gone through 6 lightbulbs in the 4days week. Every time my drop light/work lamp accidentally falls on the floor, the bulb doesn't shatter but definitely burns out. Is there a certain type of impact-resistant lightbulb I should be buying for this? I don't see anything like that when I walk through the lighting aisle of the big box stores.
Thanks for any recommendations.
Regards,
Theodore

http://www.bulbs.com/learning/roughservice.aspx

Why do you drop your work light so often? I think you might want to examine your process
and figure out why that keeps happening.

Here's a guess.

(we never get enough information on these so any suggestion is based on a guess)

The work lamp falls because you keep adjusting it to put light on a particular spot. The general area is bright enough, but you need to see that one bolt/connection/wire color etc so you reach for the lamp and you drop it, bump it, put it back on the hook wrong, etc.

And here's the answer: a head lamp. The combination of the work lamp for the area and the head lamp for that bit of light exactly where you need it is ideal. My head lamp (well, three now) is the most useful tool I own; I can't believe I waited so long to buy one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/16 5:58 AM, TimR wrote:

The work lamp falls because you keep adjusting it to put light on a
particular spot. The general area is bright enough, but you need to
see that one bolt/connection/wire color etc so you reach for the lamp
and you drop it, bump it, put it back on the hook wrong, etc.

And here's the answer: a head lamp. The combination of the work
lamp for the area and the head lamp for that bit of light exactly
where you need it is ideal. My head lamp (well, three now) is the
most useful tool I own; I can't believe I waited so long to buy one.

+1 on this; a good (1W) LED headlamp is a godsend for wrenching.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 7:58:55 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
[...]

A couple of years ago I went camping in Maine. Now, I've been camping all my
life and never recall seeing people walking around the campgrounds with head
lamps. However, in this Maine campground, I saw head lamps bopping up and
down all over the place.

It took a few days but I eventually realized that almost all of the people
that used the head lamps were from Canada. When I came home I bought a cheap
version to see if I liked it and was amazed at how convenient it was. I
bought a better version and now use it quite often. I do find it interesting
that it was mainly the Canadians that used them while camping, but I now
do also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 8:40:59 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I used headlamps when I was working. First the typet used regular incandescent flashlight bulbs which weren't really all that bright then later, hybrid headlamps then bright LED headlamps then I couldn't fraking work anymore. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Lamp Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 18:55:45 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

You were probably wearing it too tight!
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.bulbs.com/learning/roughservice.aspx

Why do you drop your work light so often? I think you might want to examine your process
and figure out why that keeps happening.

Thanks for all the feedback. "Rough-service" bulb. Got it.

As for why: working in between a bunch of ceiling joists in the unfinished basement, drilling holes for electrical, and every once in a while the drill bit catches a rough spot and my wrist almost gets torn off and the lousy drop light is too close (must be in same joist bay to see anything). I'm sure many of you have been in similar situations. Oh, yes, a headlamp would work too.

Thanks again!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 12:38:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
http://www.bulbs.com/learning/roughservice.aspx

Why do you drop your work light so often? I think you might want to examine your process
and figure out why that keeps happening.

Thanks for all the feedback. "Rough-service" bulb. Got it.

As for why: working in between a bunch of ceiling joists in the unfinished basement, drilling holes for electrical, and every once in a while the drill bit catches a rough spot and my wrist almost gets torn off and the lousy drop light is too close (must be in same joist bay to see anything). I'm sure many of you have been in similar situations. Oh, yes, a headlamp would work too.

Thanks again!

Get something like this and light up the whole space.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-wa...ght-66439.html

I mounted mine on a taller, adjustable pole. Low end is about 5', top end is about 9'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 9:29:33 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

If I could walk, I'd be working. I was in home hospice care and I kept working. My nurse yelled at me for not taking it easy then after 6 months of care, showed up for her regular tri-weekly visit and told me I was being dropped from the program because I wasn't dying fast enough. I had actually improved, fooling those doctors who wrote me off. My battery hasn't run down yet but I'm on wheels and frustrated as hell that I can't get up and go when someone calls for my help with something. Dammit! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Frustrated Monster